Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello all. I,m trying to put gas struts on my mq .jclures I seen your post about it any chance on a drawing with measurements on the bonnet brackets plz

·
Premium Member
1995 GQ TD42 NA
12,022 Posts
If jclures doesn't get back to you, look up gf0012-aust who put gas struts on his GQ and wrote it up with all the measurements. Should be the same as MQ.

·
Registered
Nissan
171 Posts
Pic the strut you wanna use ...fab mounting bracket to fit it to the top ( bonnet ) and fab a bracket to fit it to the bottom ( the inner guard / Mk )

Bonnet mount ..depending on your strut end . All it nneds to be is a 20 x 20 ali angle . Mount / pop rivet / bolt it to the bonnet underside .....mount strut end to it .

·
Registered
Nissan Patrol
153 Posts
Struts can be a funny thing, ive seen a bloke uppercut by a flexiglass canopy rear window resulting in a shattered face after some clown at a well known car parts store sold him a pair that were correct extended and compressed lengths, but way too many newton metres of force. Check out the monroe website for all the necessary maths according to weight and angles etc, I'd hate to hear that after hard work you either couldn't shut the bonnet or it fell on you due to too weak a strut. If you cant find it on their website let me know and I'll scan the info from the monroe maxi lift catalogue i pinched from work.

·
Registered
230 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
1,167 Posts
Jclures did you install one on each side, or just the drivers side?

·
Registered
230 Posts
There is one each side, from memory made using 50mm angle iron. If you look closely in the photo you can see the join where I welded them together.
The flat triangular bit sets against the bonnet frame.
I have no idea of the strut pressure as there are no numbers I can find on them.

·
Registered
nissan
14 Posts
bonnet struts help

Hi Guys,
I bought a pair of struts for GU, to go on my MK. The bonnet is not really that different, however, when I looked at a GU, the struts go from the body at the hinge end to the bonnet about half way down. That way the strut can't go "over center".

old grumpy.

·
Registered
nissan
170 Posts
I know this is an old thread but what is the weight of the bonnet? Mq/mk .

Wanna buy struts but want to know what weight so I will get a good set

·
Registered
230 Posts
I have no idea what the weight of a bonnet is, but the weight alone is not the thing, the force at the point on contact is what you need, I think.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts