Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
nissan gu
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
Let me say that this is a great site and I've gained heaps of valuable advice from you guys. Keep it up!

Now, my 2002 GUIII ZD30 (Auto) has just received a new TaipanXP exhaust and a Crosscountry intercooler. The Dawes valve is on its way from the U.S. and I'll fit that ASAP. I have a Boost and Pyro gauge and lastly, I have a Safari Dtronic (Gonna upgrade to a DP Chip when I've done the Dawes).

I've noticed that on gentle acceleration, the turbo will boost up to around 8, 10 or 15PSI (Depending on how I accelerate) but as soon as it hits its peak, it will drop straight down to 5 or 7PSI. This doesn't seem to relate to gear changes (Auto) but will sometimes hold the peak boost through the gear changes, as I accelerate!

While it does this, the engine note sounds deap and firm, but when the boost drops to its 5 or 7PSI, you can hear the engine note change to a more rattly deisel. Like when the ZD30's are cold.

It's also using heaps of fuel!

Has anyone expirienced this or know "why is it so?"

P.S. Dtronic has been fitted from new when the Troll was standard.

Thanks..

·
Registered
nissan gu3 2001
349 Posts
Mine did this aswell, fit a needle valve same time as your dawes. this should steady your fluctuations in boost and your EGT will improve a little aswell. if you havent blocked your EGR you should consider this aswell. I live in Perth near Hillaries if you want to compare notes or if you need help. PM if you want

·
Registered
nissan
975 Posts
With the ECU controlling boost, when you back off the accelerator, it drops the boost and opens the EGR. Dawes, Needle valve and blocking the EGR will cure this.

·
Registered
nissan
2 Posts
Hey guys,

I have an 02 guII with DTronic chip 3"exhaust. I recently fitted a gauge to see what the turbo was doing and found the same thing however it will peak on about 20 if higher up in the rev range 25, then drop back down to about 16.......Seems a little out after hearing about your cars behaviour........tips??

Cheers

Tim

·
Registered
nissan gu
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks fella's,

I'm going to block the EGR, but I thought it better to fit the Dawes and Needle valves first..

The boost gauge does crazy stuff at the moment, and your right jamfox, my EGT is high. 60km/h is currently 320deg and 100km/h is 420-450ish. Not to mention fuel economy!

See how we go with the valves..

1 - 5 of 5 Posts