Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
'14 Y61 ZD30 CRD M/T ST
2,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Progress on my Auber Instruments boost and EGT gauges are not progressing at the pace I would've liked, mostly because of Dan the Man's Victorian house arrest, but I am also struggling with coming up with a solution for mounting and plumbing the Auber 303 boost sensor.

I bought a Turbosmart BRA (Boost Reference Adapter) which fits underneath the OE sensor on the IC. I thought that was a fairly easy solution, but now finding a spot to mount the extra sensor is proving to be more challenging than I anticipated.

As some members might know by now, I like to do my mods in a way that looks like something Nissan would've done in the factory, so simply cable-tying it to some or other hard point in the engine bay is not an option. I pulled the IC with its mounting bracket out to have a good look and now have a potential left-field solution that I need some opinions on.

I quickly modelled and 3D printed a dimensional replica of the new boost sensor, but without the stem, so that I can check if it'll fit in the position I'm eyeing out.

So here's the plan: There's a reasonably flat surface on the underside of the IC, directly underneath the OE sensor. Also, the holes that the OE sensor mounts to, is already drilled and tapped all the way through.

Can I drill a hole in the bottom of the IC and fit the new sensor UNDERNEATH? It'll basically end up directly below the OE sensor. I can then use longer screws to mount the OE sensor so that they protrude out the bottom (as in the pic above) and then make up a little bracket that can hold the new sensor down via two M6 Nylock nuts over the exposed threads.

Basically something like this, but with a bracket over the sensor.

Any reason why this won't work? I already checked, there's an engine harness on the font of the rocker cover on the engine directly below this spot, but there's plenty clearance for the sensor and it's connector.

If I can do it this way:
a. I can eliminate the BRA, which means I don't have to space the engine cover to make more room.
b. I don't have to worry about finding a secure spot to mount the new sensor.
c. I don't have to worry about running extra hoses that could potentially leak.

·
Administrator
GUII ZD30DI Wgn
46,906 Posts
What...? No one...? :oops::unsure:

Is that a good or a bad sign...?
Mate you have been around long enough to make sound decisions, from what I read yesterday you answered your own questions :).

·
Registered
2018 Mazda BT50 Dual cab
9,797 Posts
That’s a yes from Ross if you didn’t pick that up from his dry witty ( see what I did ) humor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
2018 Mazda BT50 Dual cab
9,797 Posts
Alrighty'o then. Thx for that, gents. Hole in the bottom it is! :giggle: Let's see if it blows up in my face.

Need to design a mounting bracket now, so I'll post the progress here.
Clean under your inter cooler too. It’s disgraceful under there

·
Registered
2018 Mazda BT50 Dual cab
9,797 Posts
If your zoom zoom was parked in the garage for 7 months it would also be dusty under the... :unsure:

... under the whatever is under the bonnet... :rolleyes:
I do have a zoom zoom parked in garage
It’s spotless.
Almost 7 years old now and only 40,000k.
It’s done 2000k in the last 2 years

·
Registered
'14 Y61 ZD30 CRD M/T ST
2,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I do have a zoom zoom parked in garage
It’s spotless.
Almost 7 years old now and only 40,000k.
It’s done 2000k in the last 2 years
Geeez, 2,000km in 2 years is almost as bad as me!
Isn't that thing black...? If it is then I know you're talking BS. It's easier for me to fall pregnant that it is for a black car to be spotless.

·
Registered
2018 Mazda BT50 Dual cab
9,797 Posts
In other news... I have some higher

Geeez, 2,000km in 2 years is almost as bad as me!
Isn't that thing black...? If it is then I know you're talking BS. It's easier for me to fall pregnant that it is for a black car to be spotless.

This one is silver
I have two Mazda’s

1 - 11 of 11 Posts