Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
nissan patrol
1,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I replaced the air filter in my 99 GU TD42T today. This is my first GU TD42T so everything is not familiar to me and my questions may be silly. That's just how I am....
On removing the filter box lid I noticed that someone has tapped
a vent line for a boost tee into the neck of the lid. It's hooked up directly to a tee piece in the actuator line - photo below.
I'm wondering a few things:

1. Isn't there usually a valve of some kind between the tee and the vent connection? The last time I set up something like this was on a Pulsar ET turbo I had as a teenager and I just used a ball valve to control the bleed to atmosphere. With no valve of any kind how is the wastegate actuator seeing any pressure at all on my Patrol?

2. Why connect back to the intake? In this case it is also funnelling alot of oil back into the inlet which is making a nasty looking grease that is surely caking the innards of my turbo (photo's of oil/grease below).

3. Is it normal for the turbo to be pushing so much oil into the actuator line?

Any answers or advise would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
1,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Further info if it matters:
1. The previous owner (had owned it from new) had it tuned by Berrima Diesel early in its' life. It goes really well - seems like similar performance to my ZD30 Patrol that I owned previously.
2. K's are now 250,000.
3. Factory turbo and exhaust are still in place and appear unmodified.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
1,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So I cleaned out all the inlet pipework from the airbox to the turbo this arvo. I also disconnected the tee and just installed a straight piece of hose to the wastegate actuator. Performance seems unchanged. I have left it that way for now. Do you all think it would be ok to leave it without the boost tee/bleed? It'll certainly keep my intake piping alot cleaner...

·
Registered
nissan patrol
1,090 Posts
That tee piece job, was (or still could be) standard job for berrima diesel and there apparent power upgrade, that and double shimming the injectors.
The tee ups the boost by about 2 psi.
Those TOOLS did it to my old ute and when i crimped it off i lost 2 psi, then released it it gained that back.
No the acuator shouldnt be pushing any oil into the intake. Are you sure it coming from the acuator?, it could be coming from the breather hose coming from the rocket cover, which is quiet common for them to do, thats why most people fit oil catch cans.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
1,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That tee piece job, was (or still could be) standard job for berrima diesel and there apparent power upgrade, that and double shimming the injectors.
The tee ups the boost by about 2 psi.
Those TOOLS did it to my old ute and when i crimped it off i lost 2 psi, then released it it gained that back.
No the acuator shouldnt be pushing any oil into the intake. Are you sure it coming from the acuator?, it could be coming from the breather hose coming from the rocket cover, which is quiet common for them to do, thats why most people fit oil catch cans.
Hi Chicken,
I'm positive it's coming from the actuator line. The photo I took of all that oily grease is where the line connects to the airbox lid. The breather hose connects further down closer to the turbo - there was some oil in the pipes from that but much closer to the turbo inlet. Do you think I have a problem with my turbo?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts