Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

BOrder Track

3K views 18 replies 6 participants last post by  sudso 
#1 · (Edited)
Border Track - Open dates etc.

So whats the go with it these days?? I know its only open 4-5 mths a year, but is that going to change anytime in the next eon? Its closed for the majority of Long weekends for other states - or is that why they do it?

... the Border Track will be closed from the 1st of November till the 31st of March each year. Just called them and this is a permanent thing now on these dates.

But they are closed for Melb cup long weekend, xmas, Aussie Day, Labour Day. nice way to say to tourists **** off and stay away..

Border Track Closure ???? @ ExplorOz Forum
The reason for the long Closure is "The reason is that the local Ranger is the head of fire control and does not want any people in the Park in case there is a fire."
Hope Parks Vic dont hear about that idea...

Going off this regularly updated page FWDSA | NGARKAT CONSERVATION PARK BORDER TRACK MAINTENANCE COMMITTEE and the latest edition of the newsletter 4WD Matters Ngarkat Ngews June 2008, any recent news.. I know SA are a little behind - its 2010 here in Vic..

What about the working bees? Is that limited to SA clubs? Theres a good write up on the 2009 one.. Maybe if some Vic clubs got involved too it could help open it for a few more months a year??

thoughts?

See less See more
#2 ·
Here's one of the responses to your exploroz link Truckster....

This is probably not that much different from most other parks John.

Ngarkat is one of the few parks that does NOT require a day pass. Camping only I think...

I guess I've been lucky or just didn't see the pay booths in most of the ones I've been to :rolleyes:

#6 ·
Unless it's changed very recently, you can still do the majority of the Border Track all year round. There is a section at the beginning (Pinaroo end) that gets closed off between the dates mentioned. As you drive in, you see all this signs that say the BT is closed etc. The Centre Track is still open and takes you past the closed section before joining up with the Border Track later on. IMHO, don't bother with that section anyway, its pretty boring. Drive into the BT via Mt Shaugh Track or Red Bluff Track and do the track from there through to Bordertown. If you can find it, the section between Bordertown and Frances can be quite entertaining as well (esp after rain).

#7 · (Edited)
Kewl thanks for the info. Will probably do it since it will be a long easter next year with some pink lakes, and thru the north first. :cool:

The bit that loses me is they discuss the "one way section" I thought that was the very south (the interesting) part? Am I wrong?
The top section near the Shearers 1/4's is 2 way aint it and boring as bat****!

“If a bushfire started in the park, people on the one-way section of the track, which is about 30 kilometres long and has no exit points, would not be able to promptly leave the area,” she said.

“The one-way section of the Border Track will be reopened at the end of the fire danger season, which is expected to conclude on 15 April 2008.

“The two-way section of the Border Track, which can be accessed by travelling on the Centre Track, will remain open during the fire danger season,” Donna said.

Since easter is 5 days next year, thoughts so far are head up to Donald for the first night, or if time is ok, head to Ouyen see what time it is then - either head to the annual club Hattah camp for that night, then into the lake the next day, or if we are doing ok, head in and camp at the pink lake..
Then head down the border track, Redbluff was discussed as a camp, but again, take it as it comes along there :)

will depend on the weather http://www.patrol4x4.com/forum/258361-post33.html their tents ended up that wet, they felt airtight when they woke up...

#13 ·
80% ???
The one way bit is only closed for 5 months of the year. Nov-April.

It's only the track section from Scorpion Springs to the south west boundary of Big Desert that is under Vic Parks and SA Parks jurisdiction (mainly SA) so they only see that section as the Border Track and promote that only.
The rest of the track from there to the highway still the original Border track and is crown land, and jointly managed by our local council and to a lesser degree the West Wimmera Shire Council, as they do with local roads.
There's not much to manage though, it's 4wd only track but not a designated fire access track either as fire trucks would struggle to get through the narrow sections with low branches, even on their bomber tyres. They'd just shoot up either side of the fence in the farm paddocks if they had to.

Enjoy it for what it is, a piece of Aussie history and a top little drive.

:bigthumb:

#14 ·
sudso said:
80%? The one way bit is only closed for 5 months of the year. Nov-April.
80% of the warm good wheeling season :p

It's only the track section from Scorpion Springs to the south west boundary of Big Desert that is under Vic Parks and SA Parks jurisdiction (mainly SA) so they only see that section as the Border Track and promote that only.

The rest of the track from there to the highway still the original Border track and is crown land, and jointly managed by our local council and to a lesser degree the West Wimmera Shire Council, as they do with local roads.

There's not much to manage though, it's 4wd only track but not a designated fire access track either as fire trucks would struggle to get through the narrow sections with low branches, even on their bomber tyres. They'd just shoot up either side of the fence in the farm paddocks if they had to.

Enjoy it for what it is, a piece of Aussie history and a top little drive.

:bigthumb:
shall see what happens :)

#15 ·
We just did the trip for 7 days over cup week and its still worth the drive , couldnt do the closed section but there is more to the area than just border track . I have a half finished trip report on 4wd action site ( Vic / SA dert trip ) . Would be a finished trip report if my browser and 4wd action played nice together :mad:.

If i were you i would still do the trip but be aware that some track names are different to Hema maps as well as the maps you can get from SA parks . Some tracks have also turned to MVO tracks . There are sill some tracks that pose a huge challenge ( Big Dune Track/Lookout ) Got about 2/3rds up ......:cool:

#16 ·
I've done the north end a few times... even down to .. Umm somewhere we ended up across the border lookin for shelter from the rain.. all there was was a weighbridge!

Just havent done the south end... Gettin interesting.

#17 ·
We just did the trip for 7 days over cup week and its still worth the drive , couldnt do the closed section but there is more to the area than just border track .
X2. But the southern section of the Border Track from Red Bluff to Frances (through Little Desert) is still well worth it for anyone who hasn't done it, even in the dry.

#19 ·
Hopefully taking it easy and seeing some part of the country we haven't seen yet.
Forget what I said about not doing the Border Track and Little Desert this time of year.
There is more water and mud around now on the tracks than there has been in past winters! And it's not hot either.

What about the working bees? Is that limited to SA clubs? Theres a good write up on the 2009 one.. Maybe if some Vic clubs got involved too it could help open it for a few more months a year??

thoughts?

No it's open to any club. Ours went this year and there was about 60 people all up and usually some from western Vic clubs get involved. We only concentrate on the one way section and other tracks in the group of parks itself as most of the Border Track is on crown land. 2 Working bees per year.
The one way section would only stay open all year if it was a 2 way track, which could very easily be done eg; re open the chicken tracks around the dunes and crests for traffic coming the other way.
The DEH and rangers dont think it's a good idea but we're working on it. ;)
The couple from an Adelaide club who have organised the working bee's for the last few years have indicated they want someone else to take over that side of it. Our club is thinking about it but we'd change the weekends of the working bees to non long weekends if we did.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.