Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
1 - 20 of 215 Posts

·
Registered
GQ Dual Cab. TD42Ti with fruit.
6,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, first up I am not the brains behind this turbo selection, so I won’t pretend to be. But having made the decision to fit one to the TD42Ti in my GQ, there was a lot to figure out for me. So as I go along I thought it would be good to document some of the details.

Eventually there will be a dyno tune, and the power and torque figures will be known. However, this is not going to be a “numbers” exercise, so those of you expecting to see big numbers will be disappointed. First and foremost, my GQ is a tourer, so torque production at low revs is number one priority. I also have an 11mm pump (mechanical) which has not done much work, and a Safari Tough clutch which is the same. So getting a 12mm pump and a clutch to handle the torque is not going to happen until they wear out.

My engine is a TD42Ti crate motor from Nissan, fitted last year. Cross Country top mount intercooler, modified intake manifold, Turboglide high mount exhaust manifold. Manifolds have been port matched, and the exhaust manifold ceramic coated. I have a Radius Fabrications 4” intake and LS1 airbox. I also have water injection, but that will be left switched off initially.

First thing for me to figure out was how it would bolt up to my manifold, and how it would match up to the water and oil lines and intake that I had fitted to my existing turbo, a Garrett GT2860RS. The EFR6758 needs M14 x 1.5 water fittings, and a -4AN oil supply fitting. These fittings are the same as the Garrett, as is the oil drain. My Turboglide manifold has a T25 flange which also matches the Borg Warner. The inlet on the compressor housing is smaller than the Garrett, so I needed a new silicon hose to join the 4” intake to the 2.5” housing. Incidentally, the Garrett is not actually bigger internally as this would suggest, as the internal and external dimensions are quite different, where the Borg Warner is not.

The EFR6758 is a bit larger than the 2860 as the photo shows. No big deal with the inlet, as most of us have a pipe or hose of some sort that can easily be shortened as needed. However, the turbine housing is now closer to the firewall by about 25mm, so that means less room for a dump pipe. On my high mount manifold, after I moved the clutch line out of the way, I have about 100mm to make a 3” dump pipe. Oldmav tells me that he has managed one with 80mm, with a bit of skill needed of course. Mine should be ok (I hope!). See how I go.

As someone who could be considered “enthusiastic” rather than “knowledgeable”, to my untrained eye the differences in the turbine housing between the two turbos shows what looks to me to be a big advantage to the Borg Warner. I will let you be the judge.

One thing I did not get right was the V band flange and clamp needed. The BW is different to others, so a generic V band flange and clamp will not fit. The photo shows one difference between the two, being the taper. The BW flange is on the left. They are also slightly different in diameter. Clamp MAY be different, not sure on that. I had to modify mine to clear the housing. GCG Turbos list the same clamp for Garrett and BW though. I think there will be specific clamp available, but as I already had one I fixed it with the die grinder.

I have done a test fit, which is all good so far. Seems like it is where it needs to sit. Photo is a bit deceiving, as there is enough clearance to the aircon lines. So now I am waiting on parts. Dump pipe is the next job, and I also need a different mount for the boost canister. Borg Warner makes a “Super short” wastegate bracket kit, which Oldmav has assured me I need, in order to get the angle on the wastegate actuator right for our application. It is also needed to help with guard clearance if you have a low mount manifold. This part is not available, so I have to wait for it.

·
Registered
6,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Results achieved so far suggest the EFR6758 is very efficient. It seems to work well with 10, 11 & 12mm pumps. Time will tell how it matches up individually to the turbos you list.

·
Registered
6,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Nice!!
I'm looking at the 7064 with a 12mm on my next truck.
Waiting for guys like you, Pete and nissannewbie to sort the kit out :) lol
Not certain as to why, but as Oldmav has indicated, I don't think the 7064 worked out very well.

·
Registered
6,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
Dump pipe was todays job. I have just tacked the flange in place with my mig. Given the stainless flange is being welded to a mild steel pipe, a tig will do a better job, so I will leave that for the shop to do.

I have started with a 1D bend and then cut it back to get the clearance I need to the firewall. The flange normally goes over the pipe, but I have cut the pipe back into the curve, which means I have increased the diameter of it. This means the pipe now gets welded onto the face of the flange instead of the inside. I have also cut it deliberately on an angle to help with clearance, and to help match up with the exhaust pipe. This lines up quite well.

A bit of cutting, grinding, and bending was needed to get it to match up, but in the end I finished with this.

·
Registered
6,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
Having said that fellas, the job I have done above provides enough clearance, and was not that difficult to do. My manifold flange position may not have been ideal, but given it was port matched and ceramic coated I preferred to keep it.

If you are trying to save a buck you can do what I have done with basic tools. And, as Oldmav has mentioned, it could be made shorter than I have done it too.

Now I have to wait for the Super Short wastegate bracket, so who knows when I will get that. Hopefully next week, but I have been waiting for almost a month now.

·
Registered
6,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
When you say manifold flange position, did you modify it prior to suit the garret or is it how it came?
It is a standard Turboglide high mount manifold. What I meant was that it has the flange further towards the rear than is ideal, but most manifolds are similar I think.

·
Registered
6,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #67 ·
One advantage of the high mount I suppose. It was only the dump pipe that I had to pay attention to. Everything else has heaps of clearance around it. Easier to fit than the Garrett was in terms of bolt access etc. I just plonked it on, turned the compressor housing around a bit and that was it.

·
Registered
6,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #68 ·
I am now at the point that I need that short wastegate bracket to go any further. So I have to wait for it. I have had an order in with GCG Turbos for a month now, waiting for it to arrive. Today they tell me that they received their gear from Borg Warner, and did not receive my part.

Not happy. :(

I may have to get some specs of where it mounts and just make one.

·
Registered
6,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #70 ·
I'll do my best. LOL

I have sent Oldmav a PM, in regards to the bracket. The angle of the actuation of the wastegate is the issue he tells me. So if he can tell me the mounting position that is needed I may be able to make a bracket to do the job.

·
Registered
6,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #77 ·
The rest of the dump pipe to exhaust connection has been made today. I did it myself with drop saw and mig, so slow going but done in the shed rather than having to take it somewhere. So tomorrow it will be taken to get ceramic coated, for corrosion resistance more than heat retension, but that will be a benefit too.

·
Registered
6,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #79 ·
Results will be interesting. At this stage with only a few turbos fitted to different spec vehicles, mine will be the first with modified intake manifold, 4" airbox & snorkel and intercooler etc, but still with an 11mm pump rather than a 12mm (I think so anyway).

So who knows how it will go. Answer is on a postcard as Barry Sheene used to say. My injector pump may need some work to match the turbo, but it may not either. We shall see soon! :cool:

A couple of bits of info for everyone. The super short wastegate bracket would still be the best option, even for high mount set-ups. The standard bracket makes it harder to set up the waste gate. Get the short one. None in Australia at the moment though, and delivery date is "maybe" November. If you need one think about O/S for supply.

As for which wastegate canister to get, I am not sure about that yet. I have the standard medium on mine, so we will see how it goes in comparison to the one Oldmav has fitted with the high boost canister.

As for the CRV (recirculation valve), it needs to be connected to the fitting on the compressor housing rather than the manifold. My existing manifold fitting can be used for the wastegate as I did with the old turbo. Oldmav tells me that the CRV works best in this configuration.

·
Registered
6,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #81 ·
Who knows on that one too. Its early days with the EFR range. Certainly 195kw and 900nm is nothing to be sneezed at for the 6758 with the 12mm pump.

·
Registered
6,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #92 ·
Progress has been slow whilst I waited for things to be ready. Dump pipe has been ceramic coated, and picked up this arvo. Turbo is bolted up now, intake sorted out and re-connected, oil and water lines connected. Turbo primed with oil and is ready to go. Once dump is bolted on tomorrow it will be ready for first start-up.

I have been doing a few jobs in conjunction with the turbo swap, so before I can do any driving I need to put the rear axels back in and fit my new brakes up. I did a rear caliper rebuild and fitted new lines as well, so will need to bleed the full system. So a bit to do before taking it for a spin.

The turbo wastegate will allow 20 psi, with the remaining boost being obtained by a boost controller. The boost controller has been wound in to give nothing at first, and given that I have not touched the injector pump at all, I may leave it there until Dieseltuner gets his hands on it. Without pump adjustment I suspect it won't do much, as it will be too far out, but we will see I guess.

·
Registered
6,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #94 ·
Everything finished today, and engine has been run. Turbo looks like it is doing what turbos are supposed to do.

Axels back in, brakes done, all looks ok. So tomorrow I will do some driving to check for leaks etc and see how the brakes work (may need more bleeding). If everything is in order I will book in a dyno tune for next week.

Getting closer. :cool:

·
Registered
6,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #96 ·
I have been doing some driving, and collecting data to analyse. So far no problems, with it operating as it should. The IP has not been touched at all, so basically at this point we are looking at whether the wastegate is doing what it should, and how boost is made etc. So I have made a few adjustments via wastegate actuator pre-load and the manual boost controller, to check some boost levels without any fuel changes.

So I think next step is to determine whether anything needs altering before a dyno run.

·
Registered
6,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #100 ·
Peter can add to what he has written above to answer your question better than I can. But having said that, in my case the medium boost actuator has not done the job, and today I ordered a high boost can.

The medium was simply opening too early, and even with extra pre-load, and a manual boost controller fitted, it struggled to get 23psi. This is without IP adjustment of course.

·
Registered
6,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #104 ·
GQshane I know it's early days but, have you noticed much difference to your old setup.
Some differences at this point. Turbo is more responsive than the Garrett, and picks up boost a lot quicker. Also given its capacity to provide a lot more air, it has reduced EGT's when under load.

But as you say, early days yet. I should have the new boost canister in a few days, so once that is fitted we can put it on the dyno and see what it does. It has been proven already on a TD42 with an 11mm pump, so we expect that it will be similar in that respect, however for my individual vehicle with its tall gearing and high "touring" weight, some further IP development may be needed.

·
Registered
6,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #106 ·
No doubt fuel is a big factor, but so far we have just been looking at how the boost canister/wastegate combo operates. I am trying not to have more dyno runs than I need to minimise cost.

When I referred to my vehicle weight as being an issue above, I will put a photo up of my GQ to explain why. Light weight it certainly isn't. The canopy is removable, so when not in use it can be just left as a tray back, but when travelling the weight is high, as are a lot of rigs. I also have the Marks Adaptors 10% overdrive 5th gear, which in actual fact is about 13%. I have 4.1 diff gears with 33" tyres, so at 100kmh in 5th it runs at about 1850rpm. This won't effect dyno numbers, but is certainly a factor in normal use. So the injector pump may need modifying due to this.

1 - 20 of 215 Posts