Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1741 - 1760 of 1763 Posts

·
Registered
5,218 Posts
I would like to hope a stoker performs better than that.
Peak torque is late and is like a yo-yo, plus power plateaus early, normally a borg will keep pulling power.

·
Registered
GQ Dual Cab. TD42Ti with fruit.
4,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,748
I would like to hope a stoker performs better than that.
Peak torque is late and is like a yo-yo, plus power plateaus early, normally a borg will keep pulling power.
Verdict on the stroker is "no good" from the guru. Dunno about what turbo it has. I need to see Pete to get my cam back, so will try and remember to ask.

·
Registered
5,218 Posts
Verdict on the stroker is "no good" from the guru. Dunno about what turbo it has. I need to see Pete to get my cam back, so will try and remember to ask.
I personally know 2 dudes who went the full billet stroker build etc etc, one went barra turbo, the other went 6bt.

·
Registered
4,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,750
Many years ago I remember reading some tech articles on the effects of changing the stroke of an engine. I cannot remember the specifics so will not speculate. But it is simply not an increase in capacity, it has other effects. Peter is of the view it is not a good idea on the TD42, better off without it.

And I have seen a lot of comments from you in regards to TD42 mods. Hard to disagree. I think there are so many options, it is easy to end up with a lot of expensive bits that don't work well together. And pump tuning is far more complex than I would have thought a few years ago. The average owner that pays for a dyno tune will expect it to be right, but with a million different engine combos out there, no pump can be right out of the box (unless you buy a turbo and pump combo and then it should be I reckon). I wonder how many TD42's really have an injector pump set up close to perfect???? Pretty low percentage I think.

I am an average example I suppose. With a few things not quite right, the vehicle was pretty good. Get those things improved, and the difference is amazing. But how many owners have the resources to get those details right???

·
Registered
5,218 Posts
My thing went well, then broke when pushed, as td’s do.
Its always one thing after another with modded ones.
i do take the piss, Tdlyfe is well real though. Lol

·
SUI GENERIS UTE
GQ Ute 1990 Silvertop
5,829 Posts
Interesting if you have all the facts this engine is a fresh rebuild. It is not run in, the dyno run was only to set AFR's so we dont exert to much load for the client to drive it back home to NSW. There is a lot more fuel left to add and a lot more air left to add from a EFR7163 twin scroll ,80ar. Doing multi tune runs to exert the max was not the plan here. This is a 300hp UFI pump it was not my intention to blow it up before it was run in. Also its on 37's something i have not tuned with in the past its a rare call to be predicting or suggesting such things. Truth be known thats probably 200/800 on 35's BTW and its spooling in without adjustment at the same as a efr6758 on 35's this i do know because i have checked it on my sons dyno runs some 500 of them.

Besides that the dyno is only a tiny weeny picture of how it drives. I have driven this 3.6ton monster on the street it isn't pretty and the transitions and response are scary to say the least with this EFR7163.

·
Registered
nissan
2,805 Posts
Some people have weird ideas on how the torque and HP curves interact, evident by silly comments here.
Yes you can get "PETROL" like flattish torque if desired, but typically the only way to do that is to limit HP lower in the rpm so it keeps rising to the redline, fact is, that is the only way you get a flat torque. Perhaps go and learn the relationships between the 2.
And in doing so, you limit torque at lower rpm, negating all the benefits a diesel offers.
LOL, tuning on 37's for big numbers, well, you need to get after them, hard, totally different to even a 35" tyre when geared to an effectively very similar final drive at the ground.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Yes you can get "PETROL" like flattish torque if desired, but typically the only way to do that is to limit HP lower in the rpm so it keeps rising to the redline, fact is, that is the only way you get a flat torque.

And in doing so, you limit torque at lower rpm, negating all the benefits a diesel offers.
Bit of a coincident and totally nothing to do with EFR turbos but I saw this dyno graph when scrolling last night after reading your comments and i think it's a perfect example of what you are saying.

1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg

Edit - Don't get me wrong by my posts, I'm by no means having a go at Eclipse or Power Curve. I just post this chit as I find it interesting and thought others might too.

·
Registered
195 Posts
id prefer the graph on page 68.
As do I but I'm a bit confused about the power appearing as though it's falling after 2900rpm even though in reality i'm sure it'll still pull hard till redline on the road. I get that 37's would cause issues in tuning and wouldn't show as high figures and be slower to react on the dyno as one on 35's or even 33's but wouldn't the actual graph look kinda similar in shape just lower figures or do these huge/heavy tyres really suck out the power which accounts for the power dropping away after 2900rpm where it would normally continue to rise like all the other EFR graphs I've seen? Or is this something more specific to the stroker characteristics or the change in cam or something else obvious I'm not taking into account like the topmount or induction/intake pipework causing issues with the top end flow?

Like I said I'm not trying to stir the pot here and I apologize if my comments are considered silly but I'm just genuinely really curious.

·
Premium Member
2003 ZD30 Di Patrol (The rare Gold one)
24,945 Posts
Bit of a coincident and totally nothing to do with EFR turbos but I saw this dyno graph when scrolling last night after reading your comments and i think it's a perfect example of what you are saying.

View attachment 514347 View attachment 514348 View attachment 514349

Edit - Don't get me wrong by my posts, I'm by no means having a go at Eclipse or Power Curve. I just post this chit as I find it interesting and thought others might too.
More so a case of a untuned engine with 100% injectors that had been running for a total of 10min prior to that run. Major boost control issues with the VDJ landcrab turbo and the obvious limp mode near the end of the run.

·
SUI GENERIS UTE
GQ Ute 1990 Silvertop
5,829 Posts
I haven't tuned with 37's before because i think its silly having such a big tyre for mostly road use besides legal issues. This rig has engineering DOT cert's for this tyre change amongst many other changes.

With some research and advice it seems with 37's it does require a different approach to fuelling. It seems lots of fuel.

·
Registered
195 Posts
More so a case of a untuned engine with 100% injectors that had been running for a total of 10min prior to that run. Major boost control issues with the VDJ landcrab turbo and the obvious limp mode near the end of the run.
Yes I know all that, you're missing the point my post/intention. I was merely using the graph in reference to @bambill comments about flat torque lines on dyno sheets due to limiting it early on in the RPM. Nothing whatsoever to do with what they are doing/testing/tuning, I was just solely using it for a flat torque line example which I saw not long after I read bambill's comments so I just used it.

I found another example with zero reference to any businesses incase it upsets someone lol. It's also from a petrol graph but it still represents what I have going on in my mind after reading bambills comments about it (maybe I'm not correct in my thinking but..) To get that flat torque line, boost and fuel is regulated/reduced early in the RPM but then it's missing out on all that potential early on.

C2Dzk.png

·
Registered
4,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,760
I haven't tuned with 37's before because i think its silly having such a big tyre for mostly road use besides legal issues. This rig has engineering DOT cert's for this tyre change amongst many other changes.

With some research and advice it seems with 37's it does require a different approach to fuelling. It seems lots of fuel.
Is this purely a gearing issue Peter, or are there other factors such as weight of the tyre???

1741 - 1760 of 1763 Posts