Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1761 - 1780 of 1784 Posts

·
Registered
715 Posts
Is this purely a gearing issue Peter, or are there other factors such as weight of the tyre???
I would have thought that since it would effectively reduce the gearing making the gear spread longer. It would flatten the curves out.
Especially for those dynos that use a dyno speed reference against the power and torque lines.
37’s would also mean that the roller speed could easily get well over 200kph

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
nissan
2,815 Posts
id prefer the graph on page 68.
Cool, personally I dont see a need to have my peak power at 3600-3700rpm, personal preference I guess.
Early torque and power is a diesels thing.

On a side note however, big numbers on 37s require some playing around.
While the effective gearing to the ground between a 35s and 4.1s and 37s and 4.3s for example is very similar, the effect it has on figures and how they are produced changes a lot.
We see very little of this effect with tyre changes up to 35, but that jump to a 37 makes things a whole lot different.
It may also be possible here the cam timing change is having some effect, I am using a cam designed for low down response, (same reason for the cam timing change here), and yes it is going to hurt things above 3000rpm, I can see this starting to happen in the runs I have done.
Possibly when things quieten down over Christmas/New year, Ill get a chance to sort my clutch again, and have a bit of crack to see what the effect actually is in the top end.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Found a fascinating conversation online yesterday about EFR turbos during the initial development process from some of the guys at Full Race USA and all the input/testing they helped BW with. Came away with one snippet of info which I found really interesting about how the 7163 is set apart from all the other EFR models with its mixed flow turbine compared to all the other models with a more standard radial type.

"The mixed flow wheel in the 7163 has its efficiency peak at lower Uc/Uo ratios(0.5-0.6). This translates into better shaft torque when the wheel is moving slower relative to the exhaust gas speed than a normal radial flow designed wheel that will typically peak the efficiency in the Uc/Uo range of about 0.7-0.8.

The tradeoff is you'll have a bit more backpressure at high RPM/high boost situations as the wheel falls out of its ideal Uc/Uo range vs. the radial flow wheel that's really in its sweet spot."

I'm surprised they don't offer a choice of either turbine for each model instead of only using it for the 7163. I'm sure there's a reason though. Curious to know if you've seen any noticeable change in the EMP ratio during you testing of both the 6758 and 7163 on your sons rig @OldMav? I've seen EMP figures for the 6758 but haven't seen much on the 7163 so not sure how much it actually increases top end in comparison? Bit hard to compare though since the turbines are all differing in sizes, would be great if they made a 7163 with a MFT and Radial of equal size to get a really true comparison.

·
Registered
GQ Dual Cab. TD42Ti with fruit.
4,231 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,765
I will be doing mine soon too. No choice for me though, as I need to fix the tacho, so I need a GQ gear instead of the Ti one.

·
Registered
nissan
255 Posts
Engines back in just need to hook everything up. What a c#&! Of a job, if it could break, get stuck or sieze it did.

Would of been just as easy to drop a cummins in ;)

What's the issue with your tacho? I got mine working with the ti gear, I put a write up on it in the td42 conversion thread.

·
Registered
4,231 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,767
Yeah, mine has had everything thrown at it, without success. Just been a no-go with the GQ dash.

Hopefully you will notice your torque coming in a bit earlier now.

·
Registered
nissan
255 Posts
Only had time for a quick spin, within 5m of my house one of the trans cooler hoses popped of and resulted in me losing all my trans fluid on the road. 4 hours of cleaning the mess up on the road and away I went again only to have the top rad hose split :mad::mad::mad:.

The motor sounds way different, I always said mine didn't sound normal at idle, it sorta had a miss like a v8 with a big cam. Now it purs at idle and the exhaust has more depth to it.

It also seems to run smoother, since fitting the 16g she's become a smoke machine compared to the efr but now the smokes cleared up a HEAP so after a tune it might be even better but as is it's a noticeable difference down low. Not night and day but definitely more torque under 2k than before.

Have noticed when I first put the 16g on it pulled a lot better up high than people made out it would, since changing the cam timing it takes off better but I now see why people say they fall over quickly.

Will report back when I do more than 10km of testing 🤣. Have to drive 500km to work tomorrow, nothing like a trial by fire.

·
Registered
4,231 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,769
Bugger!!!! Better to happen at home than on the way back to work though.

Interesting that you have found such a pronounced difference.

·
Registered
nissan
255 Posts
well the old girl made it with no more dramas and I can now say there is a definite improvement. Originally drove like a 2 stroke, on takeoff would be absolutely dead then a slight pull from 1800 then full power at 2200. Now it seems to come on sooner and smoother which the auto is now loving.

economy seems to be better too (mine sits roughly [email protected] so was never in the sweet spot) but will confirm this when I fill up next week, the turbo however isn't spooling any better down low but i'm yet to adjust fueling ect and it's not so critical now that it actually has a bit of go down low.

·
SUI GENERIS UTE
GQ Ute 1990 Silvertop
5,852 Posts
Cool exact results you should be seeing, but remember the power will run out earlier in the rpm range you will need more fuel and air to get that back with the Ti cam at 5 deg advanced. The silver cam is a bit different with more exhaust duration allowing easier power above 3000rpm also the silver cam has a few little changes to pull more power at peak torque that the Ti cam will not do. But the 5 deg advance does produce a more even power curve than STD cam timing which will help that auto feel a lot more smoother in its power delivery.

·
SUI GENERIS UTE
GQ Ute 1990 Silvertop
5,852 Posts
A word of warning to those thinking of doing this. The valve clearance to the piston is now closer with 5 deg advance. If you have a dodgy built TD with Jacky How ya going with head set up and compression ratio of the type i have no idea. You will need to check clearances. The Ti pistons have no valve recess like the Silvertop pistons. I take no responsibility for dodgy head setups. STD Nissan built engines are perfectly fine to advance the cam one tooth only..

·
Registered
4,231 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,777
I have finished my cam gear swap, and early signs are a small difference down low. Vehicle is loaded up though, so a proper test with my camping canopy removed will provide a more accurate assessment.

·
Registered
4,231 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,779
Done a bit more driving, and with general driving rather than WOT runs, it is more noticeable. Perhaps a bit of tuning adjustment will improve it further, but for the moment mine will not be touched. So a small amount of response down low is the difference.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Hi all just fitting up the turbo and ac is a real pita can anyone post up some photos of the 4 inch intake on the standard manifold
Many Thanks

1761 - 1780 of 1784 Posts