Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
1901 - 1920 of 1932 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
261 Posts
What I meant from the R&D is the addition of the interchiller to the package. Trying to fit it all into the engine bay is not the easiest of tasks but we have a couple of ideas that may work. It arrives early next week, so can start looking at it then.

Putting together the shopping list now to purchase all of the parts for the BW. Is the consensus still that GCG is the place to purchase the turbo from?

·
Registered
GQ Dual Cab. TD42Ti with fruit.
5,995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,902 ·
What I meant from the R&D is the addition of the interchiller to the package. Trying to fit it all into the engine bay is not the easiest of tasks but we have a couple of ideas that may work. It arrives early next week, so can start looking at it then.

Putting together the shopping list now to purchase all of the parts for the BW. Is the consensus still that GCG is the place to purchase the turbo from?
Here is another option, that I recall from when I was looking for one. I do not know what current pricing is to be honest, because I have had mine for so long now.

Borg Warner EFR6758 Turbocharger T25/V-Band

Interchiller has me suspicious to be honest. To rely on the aircon is not something I would want. Hopefully it works out well.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hey I have been following this thread for a while now.
Currently building a td42t engine in 1995 gq patrol
It's running 12mm ip running 160cc
Interested in the BW but not sure which one
Is anywhere running 7163 with 12mm in
Any help will be appreciated 🙏 🙂

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have custom inlet manifold top mount intercooler with fan
Utes manual and will be using it for towingosyly on road use with little off road
What sort of rpm does these turbos start spooling
Have used holset hx30 on previous builds with 52mm/50mm which was awesome with 120cc pump but used to run out after 2500_2700 rpm
Reading this thread bw doesn't seem to have choking issues
What are you thoughts on a quick spool valve are they any good

·
SUI GENERIS UTE
GQ Ute 1990 Silvertop
6,197 Posts
If you are looking for spool pressure stick with the tiny turbo like the HX 30, EFR isn't about spool pressures its about density and volume flowed with response and transitions after 7 psi 65K rpm you wont believe. The 6758 will start to run out lbs/min after 200rwkw's the .64 housing starts to reach it's limits with EMP at about 3600 rpm where the power will taper of especially with a top mount and STD manifold. The 7173 will spool very much the same as the 6758 if you use the twin scroll and port/flange match the manifold. You will need fuel so a dirty tune up to 65K rpm and a little less IP timing. But once to get past 7 psi with the .85 twin scroll it will flow well past the 200rwkw mark with 1.4ish EMP:IMP allowing your power to keep building all the way to your rpm limit or until you run out of fuel or usually internal timing.

A quick spool valve is a nice addition to get volume early but there are quick spool valves and crappy QSV's. Ones set in the volute of the turbine housing volute, closing the back volute feeding the front volute is the best QSV system. BW did make one of these for the 7163 twin scroll .85. But experimental supply only for Honda's.
Engineering Gas Machine Auto part Plumbing
Gas Engineering Machine Auto part Machine tool

·
Registered
nissan
148 Posts
Diesel Pump UK do a quick spool valve that's water cooled.

·
Registered
6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
If you are looking for spool pressure stick with the tiny turbo like the HX 30, EFR isn't about spool pressures its about density and volume flowed with response and transitions after 7 psi 65K rpm you wont believe. The 6758 will start to run out lbs/min after 200rwkw's the .64 housing starts to reach it's limits with EMP at about 3600 rpm where the power will taper of especially with a top mount and STD manifold. The 7173 will spool very much the same as the 6758 if you use the twin scroll and port/flange match the manifold. You will need fuel so a dirty tune up to 65K rpm and a little less IP timing. But once to get past 7 psi with the .85 twin scroll it will flow well past the 200rwkw mark with 1.4ish EMP:IMP allowing your power to keep building all the way to your rpm limit or until you run out of fuel or usually internal timing.

A quick spool valve is a nice addition to get volume early but there are quick spool valves and crappy QSV's. Ones set in the volute of the turbine housing volute, closing the back volute feeding the front volute is the best QSV system. BW did make one of these for the 7163 twin scroll .85. But experimental supply only for Honda's.
View attachment 535093 View attachment 535094
Thanks for the info manage to get hold of s few places that sell be in nz since most of them were in lockdown
Our locL dealer has suggested to go fir the 6758 with .85 rear housing on t25 flange
Has any here used this combination at all
And if so how were the results
Hopefully will get inlet manifold back this week been mod to suit hopefully

·
SUI GENERIS UTE
GQ Ute 1990 Silvertop
6,197 Posts
Thanks for the info manage to get hold of s few places that sell be in nz since most of them were in lockdown
Our locL dealer has suggested to go fir the 6758 with .85 rear housing on t25 flange
Has any here used this combination at all
And if so how were the results
Hopefully will get inlet manifold back this week been mod to suit hopefully
Well to be totally honest i have not tested the single volute .85 housing on the 6758 in saying that i would suggest it will loose quite a bit of initial spool and probably wont get max boost until after 2400 rpm, but if you are after mid to top end power and response then it might be a good thing.. But as an alternative that i would use, is the .80 twin scroll on the efr6758, actually i am about to test one @ 200rwkw's of fuel in the next few weeks or so. The reason or logic for this is the twin scroll will use the pulse effect if your std manifold hasn't got a big hole in the bottom where the EGR was fitted. (need a metal divider fitted or welded in the bottom, you need a full divided twin scroll manifold.) This T4 .80 twin scroll will off offset any late spool over the .64 single volute housing, If you can believe my maths it will be 15% better spool after 65K rpm shaft speed. The bonus with the .80 twin scroll is it will develop better power due to a lot lower EMP after max boost rpm. Also the second bonus is you use a mamba T3 to T4 adapter for about $100 which is only 12mm thick compared to $250 ish for the T3 to T25 adapter which is 25mm thick, So you dont have to bash in the inner guard at the shock tower on a GU so the turbosmart dual port actuator will fit.

My thought only.

·
Premium Member
725 Posts
That twin .80.housing would that also benefit from a qsv for response up to say 10 psi, I've searched everywhere for the 7163 experimental turbine but can't find someone who's used it or has one

Well to be totally honest i have not tested the single volute .85 housing on the 6758 in saying that i would suggest it will loose quite a bit of initial spool and probably wont get max boost until after 2400 rpm, but if you are after mid to top end power and response then it might be a good thing.. But as an alternative that i would use, is the .80 twin scroll on the efr6758, actually i am about to test one @ 200rwkw's of fuel in the next few weeks or so. The reason or logic for this is the twin scroll will use the pulse effect if your std manifold hasn't got a big hole in the bottom where the EGR was fitted. (need a metal divider fitted or welded in the bottom, you need a full divided twin scroll manifold.) This T4 .80 twin scroll will off offset any late spool over the .64 single volute housing, If you can believe my maths it will be 15% better spool after 65K rpm shaft speed. The bonus with the .80 twin scroll is it will develop better power due to a lot lower EMP after max boost rpm. Also the second bonus is you use a mamba T3 to T4 adapter for about $100 which is only 12mm thick compared to $250 ish for the T3 to T25 adapter which is 25mm thick, So you dont have to bash in the inner guard at the shock tower on a GU so the turbosmart dual port actuator will fit.

My thought only.

·
SUI GENERIS UTE
GQ Ute 1990 Silvertop
6,197 Posts
@Jjjag2099
The twin scroll by it self on a proper full divided exhaust manifold like the early DTS manifold without the EGR thing in the bottom will actually make the turbine more effective by 10 to 15% compared to the same AR sized single volute housing. So you will see slightly better spool from pulse effect but more you will see more drive which in turn will move your pr point across the compressor map which is more volume, so more importantly more density, so more oxygen for the same silly boost pressure. ( Remember boost is not a measure of how good a turbo is) But to see the full effect of that 10 to 15% we need good swirl flowing heads and all the other induction crap attached to the intake side of the head. For this .80 twin scroll which has a larger volute size than the .64 open volute we are behind the 8 ball for early spool, which gives us a faster higher torque curve. My early testing of a .85 twin scroll on a efr7163 on a STD manifold with the big hole in the bottom spooled slightly slower than the 6758 .64 housing. But still made more torque slightly later in the rpm range for the same IP same fuel. And a bit better with pin adjustments. The efr6758 .80 twin scroll on a STD GU manifold with the big hole spooled the same as the 6758 .64 same pump same fuel, same peak torque but 7 more rwkws at 3800 rpm with 1 extra AFR points and .3 points less EMP:IMP. This next project i am working on is to use a proper full divided manifold to get that extra pulse. So to answer your question yes a QSV like the one pictured above on a proper divided manifold with the .80 twin scroll will generate a lot more early spool and obviously more torque peak in theory. Most QSV are designed for open manifolds so their effect is a lot less due to no pulse. On the other side of the coin if we can charge as much boost as a turbo can generate before camshaft effective rpm point then yes we will see more torque. Holding torque and power in the upper rpm is a issue if EMP gets too far above 1.6 ratio. But then again there are quite a few turbos doing good power with 3 and 4 EMP:IMP at 3800 rpm if facebook crap is anything to go by.

@Sammyboy
Those pic are of a open flange manifold with a external wastegate Vband. Its not a full divided manifold. Looking at the collector it will be sending gasses back into the other cylinder pipes especially 1 and 4 3 and 5 which will probably cause exhaust reversion at low to mid rpm's which we dont need, Remember our firing order is 142635. But if you want above 3000 rpm power then it's a good thing.
Trying to fit a divider plate in that collector is not going to give good results There isn't enough turn on the pipes into the collector. Don't take my word for it, give it a go and see. It would be a lot easier to just find an old safari or DTS manifold they made for GQ TD42 N/A conversions, before EGR was invented for TD42T's. They work well with a clean up.

·
SUI GENERIS UTE
GQ Ute 1990 Silvertop
6,197 Posts
Well i have to back pedal a little, i dragged out a STD GU exhaust manifold to familiarize myself as to why i was not so impressed. So it is a full divided manifold the EGR hole is just in the collector of last 3 cylinder, so a simple plate fixes that. the reason i didn't like the design is because the turn on number 4 port basically faces back towards 5 and 6 ports due to the position of the outlet flange being so far back along the manifold.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Finally got the efr 7163 fitted to the my td having problem with waste gate flap opening and closing on its own under load
Do I need to change the original actuator with a turbosmart or is there a way to make the original one work
Tried even disconnecting the line to the actuator even than the wate gate opens up under loads and jumps in and out making boost jump between 10-20psi
Any help with this please anyone

·
Premium Member
725 Posts
Finally got the efr 7163 fitted to the my td having problem with waste gate flap opening and closing on its own under load
Do I need to change the original actuator with a turbosmart or is there a way to make the original one work
Tried even disconnecting the line to the actuator even than the wate gate opens up under loads and jumps in and out making boost jump between 10-20psi
Any help with this please anyone
I think the factory can is pretty lame, and the turbosmart seems to be a solution that I know of

1901 - 1920 of 1932 Posts