• VP44 Still going with a lift pump @ 400,000k+

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
54,778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
With several VP44's failing recently I thought I would do a poll similar to my Alternator life poll, this time I will include pumps still going.

There will be 3 categories:
1. Pumps that simply failed @ a particular K bracket.
2. Pumps that are still going @ a particular K bracket.
3. Pumps that are still going and assisted by a lift pump @ a particular K bracket.

Mine is still the original, it survived a grenade attack at 155,000k and currently has 230,000k on it and I have used 2t for probably 50,000k. EDIT: Forgot too add I have been using ChemTech all it's life and in my previous 4x4's as well, except the bloody Jeep

·
After Monday and Tuesday, even the calender says W
06 Td42ti coil cab chassis
20,806 Posts
Dead at 141k.
used 2T for the last 20k of it's life.

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
54,778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
mines original with 127k....no category for me to vote in :(
I thought about this when putting it together and with the limited number of poll questions available you can't fit every possibility in. My initial thoughts are that if a pump fails at less than 200,000 that would be a relatively rare event or brought about by the constant use of bad fuel, so I am expecting most pumps to reach 200,000.

The opportunity is still there for people in your category to make a note the way you have, which I will keep an eye on.

I bet a lot fail before 200000km.
We will soon see.

·
After Monday and Tuesday, even the calender says W
06 Td42ti coil cab chassis
20,806 Posts
Should get folks to mention if they are using 2t also geeyyoutoo.
that may give us an idea whether it is helping with pump longevity.

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
54,778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Should get folks to mention if they are using 2t also geeyyoutoo.
that may give us an idea whether it is helping with pump longevity.
I only have 10 spots to play with otherwise I would have. But they can certainly do that in a commentary post. I'll edit mine now.

mines original with 127k....no category for me to vote in
OK Speedy 1 you now have a category.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Still going at 108K as should be expected.

Have been using 2t and Diesel Power for over last 20k consistently.

Only fill up at major BPs and Shells.

Grogey

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
235k still original, have only used 2t a few times,since purchase at 160k used 1 bottle of additive. Mostly fill up at caltex using vortex diesel.

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
54,778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I did post this in another thread, but here is as good a place as any also, it is something I found on a Cummins forum and it discusses the various reasons for failure of the US version, still basically the same pump, I found it quite interesting seeing as mine is at 230,000k.

Good Vp44 Info to take a look at. - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum

·
ZD30 Out - L77 In!
nissan patrol
3,352 Posts
Mine has been faultless for 182,000km. I started using 2T at 135K. Prior to that I also used some Chemtech occasionally and have had a lift pump and sedimenter fitted to it since 108K. I also have been monitoring the fuel temp for quite some time and the mods have helped to bring it down slightly. Apart from air in the fuel system, heat is the killer.

I have a good mate whose IP failed shortly after running out of fuel at around 200K.

·
Banned
1,723 Posts
A observation from my IP failing was that for about 60000 klms before failure my engine would when cold in the morning and leaving for work up the same slight incline would feel like it would die for a split second but not limp mode , no throttle reposition just dead for that split second .
My guess of a sign of imminent IP failure in near future .

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
54,778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hmmm, with so many Bosch/Zexel VP44 conversations going on, are there any updates to this?

·
Registered
nissan
928 Posts
Any one got or know where i can find a good manual/instruction for removing the Injector pump on the DI (VP44). I think mines coming to the end of its life and I'm trying to be abit proactive and get some things ready so when it die I'm all set to pull it off. I've already got some good info from a few threads on here but wondering if manuals like a "Gregorys" say would be of any use?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.