Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

Registered
nissan
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
P40 died putting ford EF L6 in

Hi guys first time at this, I have a 85 long wheel base mk patrol 5 speed. as you can see from the top my old p40 has had its day after 400 000ks.
now the big question is to rebuild it or put and updated motor in. Relly love to put the ford 4l in.
As i live in South Australia not shore on the motor reg will do about upgrading to my 4 ltr ford engine i have .I have the hole car as a donner to the biuld.
Dellows say $1200 for the converion kit.
now anyone done this conversion in SA and been down to Regency to have it aproved, if so some light on this would helpfull before i go there.
Do you need to upgrade the brakes as the power output is so much greater than standard P40 at 87 Kw and 280 nm at 2000rpm. Where as the fords injeted 4l is i think about 145 Kw and 340nm at 3000 rpm.
could use all your help with this thanks guys.:bowdown:

Registered
Have owned most, MQ, MK, GQ/TB, GQ/TD, GU/ZD and now finally GU TD42Ti
This has been done before, and can be a pretty good combo, I've been thinking of the turboed engine before, but love the ease of a Diesel...

You've found the Dellows kit, that's pretty much all you need (plus engine and wiring loom)
The fuel economy would be a lot better on the Ford 4.0, and I can't see why you would have any problems getting it blue plated, P40 and the Ford 4.0 are both the same size.
I'd go this way over rebuilding the P40, there are no problems to get this registered in QLD, but call up SA Department of Transport and ask, they can usually guide you to a web link with further info

cheers
Martin

Registered
nissan
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
:bowdown:hi thanks for the quick respones, i did have a look at the stuff on there and it says if the motor came out of a car with disc brakes i may have to put discs on the back.
But reading though the web sight no one has done this to there patrol, I mean replaced the rear drums for discs love to know this please thanks. :punkrock:

PS
I would also like to know is there a differnce in the Fords computer for a auto trans and a manul as the car i have is a auto or will it just work with the loom or doe`s the computer need input from the auto trans that im not going to use.

Registered
Have owned most, MQ, MK, GQ/TB, GQ/TD, GU/ZD and now finally GU TD42Ti
JClures has done the read disc break conversion, and i'm fairly certain others on here has done it
The search on this forum works best if you use the search button between "new posts" and "quick links"

This is the link to JClures full rebuild on 4WD Action, it has images and info about the disc conversion
Australian 4WD Action | Forum - View topic - Building my Nisota

As for auto... No idea mate, I only drive manuals... ;-)

Registered
nissan
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sorry I meant is there a differnce between the Fords ECU on the Auto and the Manual transmisions.
do ford use a differnt loom for manual gearbox to the auto gearbox.

I know there got to be some ford people here how would know please.
thanks.:iconbana:

Rusty, but Trusty. Most of the time
nissan
Yeah there is, eather you need to get a manual ECU or get a $120 chip to change it to manual. :)

Registered
Rear disc conversion is pretty straight forward! Just use GQ stuff.

KICKEN BACK IN THE BUSH
nissan gq
Disc brake rear for a 4L ford conversion ???
Sounds strange
Best bet is to check out the places in SA that approove these conversion and go ring/see them
The early pre EFI ford 6s are good,easy to ring more power from,very very cheap,but like any long stroken 6 they love the juice
Being a wagon u have ,if it was me and ease of conversion,
Id track down the remote transfer,(MQ L28 wagon)then any motor /gearbox conversion will do

Registered
nissan
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hay simonc3 thanks about the $120 chip would you know where i would get it from thanks.

Im going to Regency today to find out what has to be done to pass it for the conversion .
Ill let you guys know what they say to me if i understand it.

hope the GQ rear disc bolt straight on with out to much mods.

Registered
nissan
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just found that im going to need a chip module to defeat the fords smart lock , but dont now where to get it from to.

Registered
if the efi falcon is anything like the efi vn+ commodres, you can order a 'perfrormance' chip from a tuner on ebay and when ordering you can tell them what you want specifically. so you can tell them disable any anti-theft, turn off the auto, tune it for torque not power, must run on 91, you want thermo fans to turn on at x degrees etc.

Registered
try simonc3 suggestion i guess, and search google. i know there is a bloke that does commodore ones in his spare time, and does a good job, maybe there is someone like that for falcons.

nissan
You can buy the chip burner for it and tweak it yourself if your into that, the guy who dose it Jason is very good at the tuning, if you don't put a cam in you probably only need the smartlock switched off. :)

Registered
nissan
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
:iconbana:Thanks for letting me know where that chips is.
Ive been to Transport SA. They say all i`ve got to do is,
1. make all emisions things for the ford are there in the patrol and catlitic converter in place.
2. Use the Dellow conversion kit.
3. There still thinking on the brakes, Find that out when there boss sing off on it.

So maybe next week or so ill start this conversion. Im so looking forward to it. My sons say there looking forward to giving me a hand doing this conversion.
hahaha they both do not want to know about the wiring loom so thats going to take a bit of doing.

nissan
What model falcon you got as a donor?

What size turbo you putting on it? :mrgreen:

Registered
if you mentioned the brakes to them, you probably shot yourself in the foot and they will want disc rear. you shouldnt have mentioned it at all lol, and if they did bring it up you just talk up the front brakes like they are the best haha, and constantly mention words like disc brake and new and replaced etc.

KICKEN BACK IN THE BUSH
nissan gq
The brake thing still has me f**ked
People are running 350 Chevs up here in QLD,
and ive never heard of doin the rear disc conversion ???

The main issue here with this conversion as you mention is complying the engine to its emmision requirements as per the factory falcon it comes from
So we are looking at cataletic converters,return fuel lines ,basically everything which the falcon has ,has to be put on the patrol for full aprooval
See how ya go ,as the time gets closer

1 - 20 of 25 Posts