Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey I'm in need of some opinions from the powers at be.

When I drive over a speed bump in my 2012 GU at more then walking pace I can feel the front suspension almost reverberating. Like a shuttery bouncy feeling? Does this mean the struts are buggered? Or is that just how the factory suspension reacts to sharp bumps?

Cheers, Tim.

·
Registered
nissan
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Haven't driven it with weight in the back yet as i only picked it up this week. The rear suspension feels fine. Just the front feels like it rebounds quite sharply a couple times when i hit a speed bump at a steady pace. not real fast, just faster than walking pace.

·
Registered
nissan
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
No i'v come from a 2013 defender 90 so i know what a solid axle feels like. It's hard to explain. It's like i hit the bump but i feel another 3 or 4 smaller bumps straight after like the springs are bouncing a few times.

·
Registered
nissan
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Shot shocks? Give the car a shake and see how long it goes for...
Will give this a go this arvo when i pick it up from getting tint. How long would be normal? I'm going to guess not long at all.

·
Registered
GQ Dual Cab. TD42Ti with fruit.
5,145 Posts
Sounds like the dampers are not matched to the spring rate, or are worn out.

·
Registered
nissan
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just looking at them they appear to be factory so I'm gunna say they are just worn out. I did the shake test and the car didn't keep wobbling for any excessive amount of time. Might stay a mystery until tax time when a 2" suspension kit gets put in.

·
Registered
nissan
2,771 Posts
How many ks on the vehicle? Does it have a bullbar and winch and spotties and dual battery?

If yes to the second questions and it has more than 30k on it, the shockers are cactus, and in any case factory springs and shocks are rubbish from new even without a bullbar.

·
Registered
nissan patrol GQ
8,025 Posts
Excuse my ignorance but harpooning?
harpooning or porpoising is when the vehicle floats about the road like a drunken sailor :)

when your bushes go you start to loose "feel" and the vehicle lacks surety going around corners etc....

perfect storm is knackered shocks, knackered bushes and low tread left

·
Registered
nissan
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
How many ks on the vehicle? Does it have a bullbar and winch and spotties and dual battery?

If yes to the second questions and it has more than 30k on it, the shockers are cactus, and in any case factory springs and shocks are rubbish from new even without a bullbar.
Its got just over 60 thousand. it has the alloy bar and potties. no winch and no dual battery.
probably just ****ty factory shocks.

And no it doesn't float around the road like a drunken sailor. actually feels pretty solid through the steering wheel.

As i said above, new suspension will be going in at tax time so ill let you know if that fixes it. pretty confident it will.

cheers for all the suggestions.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts