Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
4,454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just sitting here at work and start to thinking about buying a bow, and there lies the problem, I have NFI what I am looking at.

All help will be greatfully received.

·
Registered
9,687 Posts
What you planning on doing with it scrawni, targets of the still variety, running or the swimming kind?

·
Registered
nissan
4,454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Don't know, what a swimming type of bow,

Ignore that I just twigged.

Just messing around for a start but would be good to go get some pigs or something.

·
Registered
9,687 Posts
Don't know, what a swimming type of bow,

Ignore that I just twigged.

Just messing around for a start but would be good to go get some pigs or something.
I used to do a lot of target shooting and tried years ago using the target bow on fish. It was quite good fun on carp in the farm dam but hard to get any decent edible fish in the ocean so I gave up.
I have thought about getting back into it and a decent hunting bow but they have moved on so much from my days, I would not even know where to start.

·
The Googlest, Apparently!
nissan patrol
15,814 Posts
Had a go.

Once.

Near on stripped all the skin off the inside of my let arm.

Thought, fark that, where's me rifle.

·
Glasshouse Bogan #1
nissan patrol gu
9,423 Posts
Now that would be a plan:cheers:
No worries. There is a lot to consider when buying a bow. More important than brand/cost is the specifications its made to. Get it wrong and you're going to have a hard time learning or shooting accurately.
I just got back from a hunting trip we got some good pigs. Also check out the bowhunting thread on here.

But basically if you plan on hunting you'll need a compound bow using a caliper type release aid for ease of shooting.
Check out bear archery hunting bows between $400 and $600. But don't buy anything until we measure your draw length.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
nissan
4,831 Posts
Read a good article on Bows in a NZ hunting mag, apparently you should be fitted for a bow or don't bother, have thought about it just to lazy really.
Chopped sounds like the man in the know

·
Registered
nissan patrol gq
1,685 Posts
Scrawni, my mate Rolly that you met at cruiser does bow hunting, like Chopped said, don't do anything till you've had your draw length measured.

I tried Rolly's bow a couple times but as his arms are longer than mine it was a bastard to get the bow past it's cam point.

P.S. Chopped, don't take your bow to cruiser with out talking to Albin fisrt, not worth it i can assure you lol.

·
Glasshouse Bogan #1
nissan patrol gu
9,423 Posts
Scrawni, my mate Rolly that you met at cruiser does bow hunting, like Chopped said, don't do anything till you've had your draw length measured.

I tried Rolly's bow a couple times but as his arms are longer than mine it was a bastard to get the bow past it's cam point.

P.S. Chopped, don't take your bow to cruiser with out talking to Albin fisrt, not worth it i can assure you lol.
Funny you say that cause my bow is permanently mounted in my car.
Anyway those deer are hard work and my poaching days are over lol.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Rust is just natural weight reduction.
1986 SD33T SWB
11,050 Posts
Bows are great fun.
If you want to get into hunting with it you wouldn't have anything other than a compound bow, smaller, more powerful, much easier to hold on full draw.
If you're new to bows or just want to target shoot then save your pennies and grab a recurve, I still have my old 30lb recurve that I got about 10 years ago.

·
Here To Be Entertained
Currently not a vehicle owner
12,105 Posts
Bows are great fun.
If you want to get into hunting with it you wouldn't have anything other than a compound bow, smaller, more powerful, much easier to hold on full draw.
If you're new to bows or just want to target shoot then save your pennies and grab a recurve, I still have my old 30lb recurve that I got about 10 years ago.
Both my kids 10 and 8 have been hinting they wouldn't mind trying it.
If they did like it what sort of costs are involved with equipment and range hire lessons etc.

·
Rust is just natural weight reduction.
1986 SD33T SWB
11,050 Posts
Both my kids 10 and 8 have been hinting they wouldn't mind trying it.
If they did like it what sort of costs are involved with equipment and range hire lessons etc.
You'll probably be looking at about $15 per lesson for kids with equipment included.
You'll want to use the supplied equipment for the first few lessons as well, until your kids get a good idea of what size and draw weight they can comfortably use.

I think my first bow was around the $200 mark, but they can be had for less than that. Plus costs for the other accessories needed: arm guard, finger tab, sight and arrows, budget around $100 for that stuff. The initial setup isn't that cheap, so make sure they really like it first!

Something like this is a good starting point:
PSE Sheriff 48" 15# Archery Supplies Australia

Oh, and buy cheap arrows first! They will get bent and damaged, and it hurts a whole lot less to replace a $6 aluminum arrow than to replace a $50+ carbon arrow ;)

Reactions: GUEY

·
Here To Be Entertained
Currently not a vehicle owner
12,105 Posts
Thanks James. Will have to do some research on local ranges.
I like that shoot through riser idea. My daughters not to bad but I could see my son shooting himself lol.

·
Registered
nissan
184 Posts
dont just rush to a shop and get your draw checked, most shops will try and sell you equipment on the spot.
find a club and go down for a day. they will have club bows and arrows you can try.
there is a lot of technique in archery, hunting or target and getting some lessons is very important.

dont rush into it as getting the right gear and training WILL make a big difference.

Have a look at Australian Bowhunting Forum

but most of all have fun and enjoy it.

Chris

·
Registered
9,687 Posts
Thanks James. Will have to do some research on local ranges.
I like that shoot through riser idea. My daughters not to bad but I could see my son shooting himself lol.
A good place to start is do a search for any local Archery clubs. They will often have a series of lessons available for beginners through to coaching for experts. There are a lot of interesting (and often wierd) people at local clubs but you may meet some that are also into hunting as well as targets. Even though target shooting is a lot different from hunting, it is a good place to start learning.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts