Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
As mentioned in the title

2002 gu 3L manual

Both pedals go soft with the engine running, however both feel fine without the engine running.
I have bleed the whole system more than once, including both master cylinders, slave, calipers and LPV without any success.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
'14 Y61 ZD30 CRD M/T ST
3,783 Posts
As mentioned in the title

2002 gu 3L manual

Both pedals go soft with the engine running, however both feel fine without the engine running.
I have bleed the whole system more than once, including both master cylinders, slave, calipers and LPV without any success.

Any ideas?
Suppose it depends on your definition of “soft” and “normal”. Both are vacuum assisted, but two separate hydraulic systems, so the feel changes when the engine is not running. If I pump either pedal on mine without the engine running, they go rock hard very quickly.

Like @rickasheye says, do you have any issues with the brakes or clutch while driving? If not, I’d suggest you have nothing to worry about. If you do, you’d either have to have two separate hydraulic leaks, which is highly unlikely, or both systems have air in them, which maybe points to your bleeding procedure.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Suppose it depends on your definition of “soft” and “normal”. Both are vacuum assisted, but two separate hydraulic systems, so the feel changes when the engine is not running. If I pump either pedal on mine without the engine running, they go rock hard very quickly.

Like @rickasheye says, do you have any issues with the brakes or clutch while driving? If not, I’d suggest you have nothing to worry about. If you do, you’d either have to have two separate hydraulic leaks, which is highly unlikely, or both systems have air in them, which maybe points to your bleeding procedure.
Both are working, just seem soft to me I don't know if it's normal or not as this is the first patrol I've had.
Definitely aren't any leaks or hose probs.
Can the vacuum be to strong? What bleeding procedure would you recommend?

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
56,203 Posts
Can you clamp off vacuum and test the pedal feel? Where are you located?
Agree.
Clamp off vacuum (being careful as there is a nylon re enforcemant tube with one way valve inside at the bend), or simply disconnect and see how it feels without vacuum. If everything is working fine then I'd say there is no problem, just working really well.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok so disconnected vacuum hose to check, plenty of suction, hooked it back up and pedals are softer again, turn engine off and pedals are back to what I would have thought are normal after one or two pushes, softer again when engine starts again.
Again no leaks, air or swelling hoses, so does this sound right? is it just how things work on a patrol?

·
Registered
1989 GQ TD42 wagon
4,290 Posts
Possibly. But we want you to clamp the vacuum line (or disconnect it), then check the pedals while the engine is still running so there is no vacuum boost, but all other related systems (ABS, EBD, etc. - not sure what your vehicle has) are operating.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sorry forgot to say pedals went hard when I took the hose off to check

So I done the following disconnected hose with engine running pedals go really hard after one push, put the hose back on and pedals go softer again

·
Registered
'14 Y61 ZD30 CRD M/T ST
3,783 Posts
Sounds normal to me…

For reference, whenever I jump out of my Patrol and into my wife’s 1.2 litre 3-cylinder Micra, the Micra’s clutch feels hard in comparison. Can’t say that the Patrol’s brakes are “over-boosted” but the clutch assistance is definitely up there with some of the highest I’ve ever experienced.

I’ve had my Patrol since new and it has only 16,000km on the odo. Brake and clutch feel has been consistent since Day 1.

·
Registered
1989 GQ TD42 wagon
4,290 Posts
Sounds pretty normal to me. Just might be a touch more assist than you're used to is all. If you're still concerned, post the rough area you're from -- there's probably a member nearby who would be able to meet with you and give a second opinion. And probably another Patrol so you can try another Patrol for comparison.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Normally normal.
Engine off 1st press should be soft, subsequent presses harder.

When you drive if pedal seems to work ok don't stress.
Its just the extra assistance from the vac pump reservoir on master cyls.

If your worried hold hand around soft hoses from chassis to wheel and to clutch to ensure they don't expand when brake pressed, engine running. You will feel them firm up.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts