Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I am biting the bullet and putting a deposit on an ST-L with about 10,000km on the clock :) :)

As the primary role of this new car (besides being the kids bus!!) will be towing our 2500kg boat. I will need a brake controller.

My question to other owners is what type of controller do you use and where did you put it?

I have a Tekonsha Primus IQ in my GU and have been happy enough with its performance with my boat. I would be happy enough to just move it to the new beast, but looking at the dash there isn't a lot of mounting options for this type of controller.

I definitely want an inertia/proportional controller and not a simple on off model like the basic redarc's.

Has anyone installed one of the new Redarc Towpros in a Y62? What about a traditional Tekonsha style 'box'? Where did it go??

My trailer has a Dexter hydraulic over electric braking system, it has discs on all 4 trailer wheels and is a very powerful system .... a non inertial controller could see locked trailer brakes......

Regards

Ben

·
Registered
nissan
207 Posts
Hello Ben, I have installed the tow pro in my patrol (installed the head unit in the same location as another member in here (will find the post ;)))
so far so good, was able to use one of the pieces of metal under the dash for a mounting point (will get some photos) with a bolt and cable ties!!
wiring out the firewall on the drivers side and down the chassis rail..

pretty easy install just takes some time to make all look neat and tidy !!

cheers

squiz

PS if you live in SA I might be able to get the tow pro at a reasonable price !!

·
Registered
9,663 Posts
I installed a Teknosh into the dash on my GU and just cut a hole through the lower part of the dash down near my left knee, so it sitts back under and only the front part with light ans slide switch is visible.

I realise that in a much newer wagon, you are probably reluctant to start cutting, but have a look at some of the newest Red Arc and others with remote mounted head. That way all you have on the dash is a controller dial and switch.

·
Gone Fishing
NISSAN 1989 GQ PATROL
6,203 Posts
I got a Hayman Reese here I dont Want/need, not a new one but done the job well towing a 26 Ft. caravan, has the emergency slide/stop and the setting switch.

·
Currently in PAD rehab
18,404 Posts
My dad has the remote head haymen one and it is a very nice bit of kit.
If I remember correctly he used a windshield mount for the display, and just unplugged it and put it in the glovebox when not in use.

I have the same inertia unit in my GU but dunno where you would mount it in a y62 where it would look good and be easy to access.

·
Registered
nissan
54 Posts
We have the Hayman Reese compact. It does the job well enough, but I find the sync control a bit flukey. It takes a bit of a fiddle at the first couple of intersections each trip to get it right. Nice neat install on rhs panel.

·
Registered
nissan
205 Posts
I have the new Redarc Towpro installed in my Y62

Just a nice neat little controller on the right hand side

·
Registered
nissan
932 Posts
When I bought this y62 it had a redarc installed and I didn't like it. It is a fixed braking rate, and I have previously always towed with a tekonsha p3 which is proportional (boat is 2.8t). In the end I cut the wires on the redarc and hooked up my p3. It sits in the recess near the parking brake - it's the perfect size for the p3. I have put sticky Velcro on the top of p3 and in the recess so I just unplug and rip it out when I'm not towing.

The other issue with the redarc is that you will bump it all them time with your knee when you get in and out of the truck. This happens to my dad all the time. On the Ti-L it's not a prob as the seat moves back when you open the door -fat yank style.

·
Registered
nissan
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The new redarc towpro is proportional with a remote head and the main unit tucked up and away from knees ect.
How does your dad bang his knee on his??

·
Registered
nissan
932 Posts
The new redarc towpro is proportional with a remote head and the main unit tucked up and away from knees ect.
How does your dad bang his knee on his??
About time they got a proportional one.

The adjustment knob is on the far right of the cluster of buttons that is at knee level to the right of the driver. He manages to knock it out of adjustment getting in and out of the truck.

·
Registered
nissan
182 Posts
I also have the Tekonsha mounted in what I am going to say is the factory location above the ummmmmmm hand/foot brake I say factory because it Fitts perfectly and can't imagine what else the slot could be for.

·
Registered
nissan
932 Posts
I also have the Tekonsha mounted in what I am going to say is the factory location above the ummmmmmm hand/foot brake I say factory because it Fitts perfectly and can't imagine what else the slot could be for.
I think that slot is so that the tip of your boot doesn't hit the bottom of the dash when you go to put on the park brake. It is a bit harder to put on the parking brake when the p3 is there.

Reactions: DSzuke

·
Rogue
nissan gu patrol
20,229 Posts
Just wondering how people are find the Tow-Pros? I'm looking at getting one fitted to the missus new Territory as she tows a horse float and I'm sure the horse would appreciate proportional braking.

·
nissan patrol
501 Posts
Do we have a definitive answer to what is a good brake controller for the Y62 and exactly where it should be located - any pics would be great.

·
Registered
nissan
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I don't believe the is such a thing as a definitive controller for the Y62.

I chose the redarc because of its nice neat interface.

I mainly tow in quite hilly terrain so my controller gets a work out. I would say that the redarc does quite a good job for me. However it certainly does not perform any better than my old Tekonsha primus did with the same trailer.

There is one function that I find I miss. That is the ability to adjust 'boost' braking. This is the amount of initial brake force applied to the trailer when just feathering the brake pedal in the car.

I like a fair bit of initial bite to the trailer. The redarc does not give enough initial bite for me. The trick needs to be slowing before the trailer brakes really work.

It is something I am learning to drive with, it just feels a bit weird to feather the pedal and not get a lot of braking. I am sure with more time I will get used to it. I just need to use a bit more pedal force into downhill bends than I am normally used to.

·
The Centaur .5 Manpopwer .5 Horsepower
nissan
981 Posts
I too have found that it is a little different than the Tekonsha Prodigy P2 that we have in the GU in that there doesn't seem to be an initial bite in the brakes, but I have had the P2 for quite a few years so have got used to it's ways, or it was just wound up a bit too much!!
This new Redarc Towpro unit works really well and we don't bash our knee on it.

·
Registered
nissan
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
All in all I am still very happy with the redarc. It fits my needs well and when set right the proportional braking is quite predictable if you are properly braking.

It's just when I want to bleed a little speed as i enter downhill bends that I find it a little harder/different to use than the Tekonsha.

·
Registered
nissan patrol st
103 Posts
Mine is a redarc tow pro, works OK, looks good, dial on lower rhs just above consol. Had installed by Ultra 4WD and it took them about 4 hrs, said it was a difficult installation, hard to get consol out, but maybe their first one. cheers!!

·
nissan patrol
501 Posts
Thanks guys any pics of locations etc

1 - 20 of 34 Posts