Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks,

It looks like it is time to upgrade the brakes on the Patrol after a couple of near misses trying to pull fourby and trailer up before hitting livestock, and just about rupturing myself pushing so hard on the pedal. I have read several threads on the subject and I am still tossing up between DBA T3s and RDAs, but in most of the threads no-one mentions doing anything with the rears.

Are the standard rear discs fine to keep and just put new pads on them (maybe a light machine first)?

Also, do many people run braided lines, and if so, what brand. I have read that you need to be careful to get the covered braid otherwise grit gets in the stainless and wears away.

Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
nissan
2,771 Posts
I run Brembo slotted rotors up front, standard rotors rear, and Brembo pads all round. Not sure if you have drums at the rear?

Braided lines and Super Dot4 fluid.

This combo stops very well indeed, haven't been able to get them to fade, and work pretty well from stone cold, better than standard Nissan.

I haven't had an "Oh Fcuk" moment since these went on, either at the lights in town or at the end of a long steep descent in the high country.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks ACM, I had forgotten about the Brembo rotors, I will have to look into it.

Where did you pick up your braided lines from?

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
48,215 Posts
Hi folks,

It looks like it is time to upgrade the brakes on the Patrol after a couple of near misses trying to pull fourby and trailer up before hitting livestock, and just about rupturing myself pushing so hard on the pedal. I have read several threads on the subject and I am still tossing up between DBA T3s and RDAs, but in most of the threads no-one mentions doing anything with the rears.

Are the standard rear discs fine to keep and just put new pads on them (maybe a light machine first)?

Also, do many people run braided lines, and if so, what brand. I have read that you need to be careful to get the covered braid otherwise grit gets in the stainless and wears away.

Thanks for your help.
I tossed up between the DBA and RDA's for some time, finally decided on the RDA dimpled and slotted over a year ago and what a difference it has made, the brakes have a progressive feel to them. I retained my std rear discs, I also fitted std Nissan 4.8 pads to the front. I have absolutely no complaints whatsoever.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi geeyoutoo,

I had read in one of the threads that you were going to take Geordies advice on the T3 discs but went with the RDAs instead , was there any particular reason? Supercheap have a 25% off DBA discs this weekend and thought it might be a good time to get some T3s, but would certainly pick up the RDAs if they were better.

Can you still put in the 4.8 pads as I thought there was a thread some time back saying that option wasn't available anymore due to the factory changing suppliers?

Did you change the pad type on the rears or stick with the Nissan pad?

Thanks.

·
Registered
nissan
2,771 Posts
Thanks ACM, I had forgotten about the Brembo rotors, I will have to look into it.

Where did you pick up your braided lines from?
Braided lines were custom made by Springvale Brake and Clutch. Took my rubber ones in and they made them with the same ends and orientations while I waited. Longer ones for the lift.

I got the Brembos because the DBA were out of stock everywhere at the time, using the Supercheap discount on the DBAs is a good move. You can still use the Brembo pads which have a nice high tem range (up to 650 degrees)

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
48,215 Posts
Hi geeyoutoo,

I had read in one of the threads that you were going to take Geordies advice on the T3 discs but went with the RDAs instead , was there any particular reason? Supercheap have a 25% off DBA discs this weekend and thought it might be a good time to get some T3s, but would certainly pick up the RDAs if they were better.

Can you still put in the 4.8 pads as I thought there was a thread some time back saying that option wasn't available anymore due to the factory changing suppliers?

Did you change the pad type on the rears or stick with the Nissan pad?

Thanks.
Basically it came down to price like you, after looking around I got a very good deal on the RDA, so that was the criterion, I suppose what I'm saying really is don't rule out one over the other on performance, I don't think there would be any significant difference, my brakes feel bloody great, best they have ever felt, so which ever you can get the cheapest go for.

Hmmm! not sure about the pads if something has changed after I did it. I still have the std pads in the back, bloody hell I can't remember the last time they were done, bloody long time ago.

·
Registered
Nissan
72 Posts
just a heads up for those looking for 4.8 front pads. there was a change made to some supplier but Nizbits can still source them. I got a set about a month ago from him.

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
48,215 Posts
just a heads up for those looking for 4.8 front pads. there was a change made to some supplier but Nizbits can still source them. I got a set about a month ago from him.
Garry to the rescue again, that is where mine came from but it was a while ago.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts