Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I recently purchased a Ford Maverick 1990 model manual.
The brakes are not working except the back brakes when I push right to the floor they lock up a bit.

When I put brake fluid in and pump the brakes it is dropping sufficiently and the pedal has little pressure in it.
Wondering if it's a leak but I don't know because I can't seem to see anything on the ground when I pump the brakes.

Appreciate any help

Thanks

·
I Have Imaginary Friends
Patrol Hybrid.
13,576 Posts
Have you bled the brakes and got all the air out of the lines?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No i haven't yet but I am wondering why it is going through so much brake fluid.
Nearly two bottles
I will try bleeding them tonight

·
Registered
Nissan MK,GQ & now GU.
1,771 Posts

·
I Have Imaginary Friends
Patrol Hybrid.
13,576 Posts

·
Registered
GQ Dual Cab. TD42Ti with fruit.
4,562 Posts
No i haven't yet but I am wondering why it is going through so much brake fluid.
Nearly two bottles
I will try bleeding them tonight
Where is the fluid going?? If it is disappearing from the system you must have a leak. Bleeding the system will be a secondary matter, after finding what is leaking. I suggest you do not drive the vehicle until this is resolved.

·
I trust your dash vents are clean...
nissan
732 Posts
Brake booster could be leaking which inst always completely obvious. Rear proportioning valve could be stuffed and leaking, brake calipers could be stuffed and seals blown pumping fluid out the pistons, cracked or perished brake lines etc.....
Agree with GQshayne - don't drive it until its resolved.

·
Registered
nissan
398 Posts
Brakes are one of the items that when in doubt seek professional advice. I am all for giving it a go but without brakes you could cause an accident.

Get a mechanic onto it ASAP and get it towed don't drive it

Reactions: safaridan

·
Registered
nissan
107 Posts
What jtraf said, if your not confident on it then get a pro. Brakes and steering are the most critical safety aspect of a vehicle.

·
Registered
4 Posts
So I recently purchased a Ford Maverick 1990 model manual.
The brakes are not working except the back brakes when I push right to the floor they lock up a bit.

When I put brake fluid in and pump the brakes it is dropping sufficiently and the pedal has little pressure in it.
Wondering if it's a leak but I don't know because I can't seem to see anything on the ground when I pump the brakes.

Appreciate any help

Thanks
if your Brake pads are worn right down your pedal will go close to the floor.
I have a 1995 GQ std 4.2 TD. when I got it even the Brake booster was not working properly. I found the Discs were shot and the Pads were really thin . I replaced all the rotors and replaced both front calipers and pads. now The issue I had with the brake pedal going nearly to the floor is gone and so has the issue with the brake vacuum booster.

·
Registered
nissan
398 Posts
Glad you got it sorted. Give the car a good wash when you get it back as brake fluid is very corrosive stuff. Also worth giving the underside a good clean so that there is no oil hanging around. Then in future when you do start to learn and do stuff for yourself a new wet spot will be easy to see and point to an issue

·
Registered
51 Posts
There was a recall On Maverick front hose's years ago :(
I had one fail coming into Toowoomba. Handbrake did a good job thank god.........Luckily I wasn't on the BIG hill on the way out :)
Was paid for by Ford at the time. Didn't get laundry cost though ..

1 - 17 of 17 Posts