Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
hey guys,

im trying to design a roof rack for my 85 shorty and i want to know want your favourite features are in a roof rack and what your dream roof rack would have, any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanx
Tim

PS any pics u have of your roof racks would also be good

·
Registered
nissan
1,339 Posts
It's been a while since I thought about the roof rack that I want to build for my shorty, but here's a loose list of different bits;

The base of it would be roof bars, one at either end of the canopy, and one over the cabin. The canopy would have plates that the bars get locked into, and braced from inside. This'll be for carrying long loads like piping/wood/kayak. I've already made a rack for the bullbar (I'd been planning on picking up a massively long whiteboard, 'til I found out the guy was hopeless at measuring) which is perfect for this sort of loading.

Each of the plates on the canopy would have a swivelling D-bolt thingy, so that you can tie rope to them, string up a tarp, a makeshift clothesline etc etc.

Then there'll be a cage that can mount on top of the bars. The cage will be split down the centre and have a removable divider, so that a long load can be put on the bars and have the cage next to it to put other items into it, or the other half of the cage attached for a full load on that.

Hopefully you can get the picture :)

·
Registered
nissan
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
that sounds pretty good, ive just drawn up a few ideas i had but i dont know if i like it much

·
Registered
nissan patrol
4 Posts
make sure it can adapt other manufactures accesories there is nothing worse then having say for example ski holders for roller but they wont fit your Rhinos on your other car. a universal adaptor for yours would get me interested

·
Registered
nissan mk
970 Posts
Just a good solid bit above the cab and something light over the canopy just for throwing a few bits of firewood in around the camp not for long drives. Maybe easy clip-on/clip off the solid bit over the cab or one that could fold up into the main rack or to throw in the back would only need suction caps to position on canopy.
Must get google sketchup to draw something up. (you can download it for nicks and its great for design, using it for my drawer design.)

·
Registered
nissan
1,730 Posts
Add a mesh floor to your design, makes life heaps easier, esp with climbing on top. My roof cage is removable from the roof racks (4 bolts and makes it really easy to take on/off - I usually slide the entire cage along the rear rack to move it off). By leaving the roof racks on you can either add an awning track and/or mount your side awning without the need to have the roof cage on top all the time. I have awning track on both the roof cage and the roof racks (give the option of extra height if needed). PVC tube with caps for fishing rods/tent poles etc, or use for carrying water. Also good to mount a little 3db uhf ariel off the racks as well for optimum reception.

·
Registered
2,713 Posts
Put rollers on the rear edge, makes it a lot easier to get ladders , boats etc on:ahah:

·
Registered
nissan gq 4.2 peterol lwb & mk turbo diesel shorty
41 Posts
i got one of a long wheel base mq and cut it down to suit my shorty,as mine has a metal top with gutters it was pretty straight forward i also added a wind deflector same angle as wind screen and put a full mesh floor and sides at some stage i will ad a roll out sun shade on one side for when we r at the beach!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts