Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Administrator
GUII ZD30DI Wgn
45,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't profess to be an expert on Brexit but I have always followed it as closely as I can without knowing the full ramifications one way or another and I feel many Brits are in the same boat as me. It seems like many in the parliament are being obstructionist rather than looking for a way out that will work for all concerned (but we know there will always be losers no matter what).

The Pound has taken a thumping against the US$ over this period which is good for a few but not the majority, I hear this morning that the top 200 companies in the UK had made the lower pound work for them but once you get into the lower ranks it is the opposite. It has also been said that supermarket shelves could be empty if no deal is made?????? Like anything else there is fact and fiction and sometimes the two can be hard to separate

Corbin does not seem to be adding any value to the discussion whatsoever, but then again I'm no expert.

As it stands now there is only a matter of weeks until time runs out, unless they have an extension. There will be a vote upcoming on whether they have a no deal exit, but a new referendum has been mentioned seriously for the first time, I wonder what result that would have if it did happen, Nigel Farage seems to have disappeared back into the woodwork after contributing nothing to the final debate.

I wonder what the result of a new referendum would be with the benefit now of hindsight?

I would be interested in peoples views from afar or if they have UK contacts.

·
Registered
nissan
6,395 Posts
It seems like many in the parliament are being obstructionist rather than looking for a way out that will work for all concerned (but we know there will always be losers no matter what).
I think there are solutions to all the issues except for the problem of the Irish back stop. There is one group of people (including some politicians) that won't accept a hard border between Northern Ireland and the Irish Republic, and another group of people (also including some politicians) that won't accept a defacto border between northern Ireland and Great Britain. Even if they crash out without any deal with the EU there is still the issue of the Irish border.

Personally I think there has to be a defacto border between the two islands because if they resort to a hard border within Ireland then you will see "the troubles" all over again. I'd have it so there was an open border between the two Irelands and any official ID such as a drivers licence or NHS card will get you through the defacto border between NI and GB if you are a UK citizen but foreigners will go through normal passport control. Foreign goods going from NI to GB will have to show import documents to the UK or prove they were produced in NI. This will be a PITA for people that do a lot of commerce between NI and GB but I see no alternative.

·
Administrator
GUII ZD30DI Wgn
45,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think there are solutions to all the issues except for the problem of the Irish back stop. There is one group of people (including some politicians) that won't accept a hard border between Northern Ireland and the Irish Republic, and another group of people (also including some politicians) that won't accept a defacto border between northern Ireland and Great Britain. Even if they crash out without any deal with the EU there is still the issue of the Irish border.

Personally I think there has to be a defacto border between the two islands because if they resort to a hard border within Ireland then you will see "the troubles" all over again. I'd have it so there was an open border between the two Irelands and any official ID such as a drivers licence or NHS card will get you through the soft border between NI and GB if you are a UK citizen but foreigners will go through normal passport control. Foreign goods going from NI to GB will have to show import documents to the UK or prove they were produced in NI. This will be a PITA for people that do a lot of commerce between NI and GB but I see no alternative.
Absolutely agree. I also see that hard border as a threat to stability. That recent bombing of the car and just the other day explosive letters being sent to various people all had Ireland postmarks, not saying they are connected but some people will use any excuse as we know only too well.

·
Registered
nissan
2,011 Posts
Meh, politicians deciding they know better then the voters what is good for them. A complete breakdown in democracy as far as I am concerned. Vote didn't go the way we thought it should have, we will fiddle around and waste time until we have another referendum and spend more coin talking up the benefits of one world order, er excuse me, the European Union

·
Registered
'00TD42T
11,270 Posts
I was hoping someone would start a topic on this.
It seems to be a complete mess I agree.
Looks like a no deal exit is coming.
I haven't researched the topic even though I have British heritage. Have a British passport due to Dad being born there.
It seems like they have shot themselves in the foot economically, at least in the short term.

·
Administrator
GUII ZD30DI Wgn
45,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Meh, politicians deciding they know better then the voters what is good for them. A complete breakdown in democracy as far as I am concerned. Vote didn't go the way we thought it should have, we will fiddle around and waste time until we have another referendum and spend more coin talking up the benefits of one world order, er excuse me, the European Union
I tend to think the public may have been originally conned, hence my mention of the non existant (to us anyway) Nigel Farage. My uneducated thinking is that another referendum may see a different result. I have also changed my opinion of Boris Johnson, I see him more as a self interested destroyer rather than the statesman he sees himself as.

We have a few UK members and I'm hoping they will chime in and give us a local angle, rather than our opinions from afar.

·
Registered
nissan
2,011 Posts
I tend to think the public may have been originally conned
I don't believe they were. As per referendum rules, the case for both sides was advertised equally.

Have some of them gone missing, or is the media not giving them airtime? Agenda 21 has many powerful sponsors.

·
Administrator
GUII ZD30DI Wgn
45,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I don't believe they were. As per referendum rules, the case for both sides was advertised equally.

Have some of them gone missing, or is the media not giving them airtime? Agenda 21 has many powerful sponsors.
Yes that is true, but you and I both know there is fact and there is fiction in the various arguments for and against, we here don't fully understand all the ramifications, I pointed out Nigel Farage, he basically went on a world tour espousing the 'benefits' of Brexit, from what I saw appealing on a nationalistic basis, he achieved world fame over it but very quiet internationally now, yes he is still around. The former UKIP Party leader is now a member of the Brexit Party, he's still around but internationally much quieter so it appears. Not sure Agenda 21 has a lot to do with this.

I'm eagerly awaiting some feedback from some of our UK members to share local knowledge with us.

·
Registered
'00TD42T
11,270 Posts
I tend to think the public may have been originally conned, hence my mention of the non existant (to us anyway) Nigel Farage. My uneducated thinking is that another referendum may see a different result. I have also changed my opinion of Boris Johnson, I see him more as a self interested destroyer rather than the statesman he sees himself as.

We have a few UK members and I'm hoping they will chime in and give us a local angle, rather than our opinions from afar.
I think the full impact of an exit wasn't discussed adequately also.
I wasn't there though.
I am not in contact with anyone living there.
I have spoken with GB citizens here.
There was a fair amount of resentment from a loss of border control and immigration impacts.
Britain has the NHS and I've heard it mentioned that foreigners who have not contributed significantly via taxation were making use of the tax payer funded health service for expensive procedures.
Don't know the veracity of that it is just what I've heard anecdotally.
There will be a financial penalty in leaving too. I don't know the details/extent.
The commentary is that a no deal exit carries significant trade burden.
I note the British parliament despite rejecting the latest deal have voted a hard Brexit not be policy.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/europe/no-deal-brexit-vote/2019/03/13/b79d2c86-4405-11e9-94ab-d2dda3c0df52_story.html?noredirect=on&utm_term=.880e88017078

·
Administrator
GUII ZD30DI Wgn
45,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I wasn't there though.
I am not in contact with anyone living there.
I have spoken with GB citizens here.
There was a fair amount of resentment from a loss of border control and immigration impacts.
Britain has the NHS and I've heard it mentioned that foreigners who have not contributed significantly via taxation were making use of the tax payer funded health service for expensive procedures.
Don't know the veracity of that it is just what I've heard anecdotally.
There will be a financial penalty in leaving too. I don't know the details/extent.
I note the British parliament despite rejecting the latest deal have voted a hard Brexit not be policy.
Yes to most of what you said, Farage was constantly on about the free movement of Labour, which maybe appealed to a nationalistic pride, I have also heard of the health issue. From what I understand a no deal Brexit would be a disaster, Corbin has now enshrined no exit without a deal, but I don't see him actually contributing to a solution, I may be wrong there but as far as reporting here goes that is not evident.

May might not be the answer but wow you have to give her an E for effort, absolute tenacity whether she be right or wrong I don't know, the votes against her plans have slowly been dropping, if there is an extension I wonder where that would lead. Many would have given up by now.

As I pointed out earlier the top 200 companies have benefited from the weaker pound, but once you get past that the opposite occurs, I also mentioned it has been said that supermarket shelves could see a great depletion stock. This uncertainty is having a huge impact.

·
Administrator
GUII ZD30DI Wgn
45,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

·
Registered
1989 GQ TD42 wagon
2,013 Posts

·
Administrator
GUII ZD30DI Wgn
45,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Assuming all 27 EU member countries agree....
Absobloodylutely, and it must be a majority decision. What has been voted on in the UK parliament it not legally binding so it would seem from a report I heard today, this adds even more confusion to the mix.

·
Registered
1989 GQ TD42 wagon
2,013 Posts
Absobloodylutely, and it must be a majority decision. What has been voted on in the UK parliament it not legally binding so it would seem from a report I heard today, this adds even more confusion to the mix.
No, the decision by the EU countries must be UNANIMOUS. ALL 27 of them.

·
Administrator
GUII ZD30DI Wgn
45,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
No, the decision by the EU countries must be UNANIMOUS. ALL 27 of them.
Yes sorry that is what I meant to write, unanimous. But as said the votes taken by the UK parliament are not legally binding anyway so it seems, which makes the voted on and accepted no - never - ever brexit without an agreement basically worthless, if that is in fact the case.

·
Registered
nissan
6,395 Posts
Nobody is sure of the full impact so it's impossible to present it accurately

There was a lot of misunderstanding about this. Britain maintained pretty good border authority because it wasn't part of the Schengen Area. While citizens from other EU countries could live and work in the UK most of the immigration that gets complained about is from Africa and the Middle East and the UK government was mostly in control of that. The average bloke in the street believed otherwise and thought it was mostly due to being in the EU. UK net immigration from the EU last year was 75000 people but from non EU countries was 250000. There was some degree of illegal migration but Brexit won't change that.

That's true up to a point. The same thing happens here for people accepted as refugees. They get full medicare immediately along with a bunch of other benefits. Not everyone from all other EU countries get full NHS access though. It depends on their own public health care and what those countries can offer UK citizens as a reciprocal benefit. Even Aussies get NHS access but that is because poms get similar benefits here.

That will be the case to begin with but the UK will eventually sort out a trade deal with the EU even if it doesn't happen before Brexit. It will be in the interests of both groups.

·
Registered
'00TD42T
11,270 Posts
Nobody is sure of the full impact so it's impossible to present it accurately

There was a lot of misunderstanding about this. Britain maintained pretty good border authority because it wasn't part of the Schengen Area. While citizens from other EU countries could live and work in the UK most of the immigration that gets complained about is from Africa and the Middle East and the UK government was mostly in control of that. The average bloke in the street believed otherwise and thought it was mostly due to being in the EU. UK net immigration from the EU last year was 75000 people but from non EU countries was 250000. There was some degree of illegal migration but Brexit won't change that.

That's true up to a point. The same thing happens here for people accepted as refugees. They get full medicare immediately along with a bunch of other benefits. Not everyone from all other EU countries get full NHS access though. It depends on their own public health care and what those countries can offer UK citizens as a reciprocal benefit. Even Aussies get NHS access but that is because poms get similar benefits here.

That will be the case to begin with but the UK will eventually sort out a trade deal with the EU even if it doesn't happen before Brexit. It will be in the interests of both groups.
Thanks the info

·
Administrator
GUII ZD30DI Wgn
45,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I'm not a supporter of May (I do think her hide must be inches thick), but as an avid reader of world politics I take note that Corben is still complaining but so far adding nothing of value, it would appear he has just decided to go to the ECU head to have a chat, could have been more proactive much earlier, but no!

Corbin seems to be a fan of the Foxhole Management System: If someone puts there head up to say something, shoot....

He's still calling for a general election? Not quite sure what will that solve.

At times, Corbin can be his own worst enemy

·
Registered
Triton n Lovin it.
23,156 Posts
Corbin is a self serving f-wit and never seems to offer any real alternatives, except to drag down the country or am I missing sompin? 🤔

Foo

Hurry up corkhead!

1 - 20 of 43 Posts