Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
nissan patrol
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Brief power loss at 2500rpm - then fine....

Hi Guys,
Got another question...Symptoms been imtermittently happening for easy last 3 months...
Replaced MAF about 1.5 yrs ago...Checked, shes nice and clean - and I took car into local dealership and they ran diagnositics and said MAF is operating perfectly fine..

Now, (sometimes not noticable when driving around town) but lets say if I am entering onto highway and have to pick up speed, I seem to be experiencing a very brief power loss (kinda like the engine is being starved of air) at always around the 2500rpm mark... lasts probably 2 to 3 seconds and the engine then continues building power to the speed I want...

I change my air filter (genuine - rubber ring to top) every service at 5,000kms and really havent been offroad for a while now, just driving around town...

The symptom kinda is like if the MAF is buggered cause its co-insidental that this seems to happen at the 2,500rpm mark -but the engine doesnt stay in limp mode - again only lasts 2-3 sec..and then behaves normally...

So I'd really appreciate to hear other folks take on what they think might be happening...
ZD30 - 2004 model -No modifications other than EGT probe and intercooler fan...

Thanks in advance,
Iesha

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
So at this stage you don't have boost gauge to see what is happening, 3500 rpm, bit of pressure going on, check for leak in Intercooler 1st up there was someone else chased same sort of issue for ages and ended up being intercooler.

·
Registered
nissan
12 Posts
I dont know about others but i dont rev my zd30 over 3grand for obvious reasons, but would still be gettin a boost guage at very least.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys, I bought a boost guage, just never got around to getting it fitted...think its about time then....will arrange this week if possible..

·
Registered
nissan patrol
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Blonde Moment

Okay my bad... I did originally say the power loss was at 3500 rpm.. I just went for a drive...its 2500 rpm...doh!! I was wondering why one of the responses was saying they do ever rev their engine to that kind of rpm.....Makes sense now.. Ive made the amendments to my original post to reflect 2500rpm..

Sorry for my mistake... Anyways, I'll still get this guage installed this week to see what's happening...

Cheers! Iesha

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
You can check over boosting prior to gauge install, go on freeway sit on 100klms, if put foot down and nothing, lift off and on again, if power returns over boosting.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi - I just wanted to offer an update for those who may experince similar issues..
I did two things since my last post...

Problem has dissapeared since doing a fuel filter change - there was was some obvious bits of crap in the filter.. Just to note, I use genuine fuel filters and the filter had only been changed approx 2600kms beforehand...So must have scored a pretty bad batch of fuel...
Not long after doing the filter change - the issue disappeared....

I also had a turbo boost gauge installed just prior to the fuel change..No obvious (or worrying) boost spikes to be noted during the issue at the 2500rmp range...so I decided it was moreso back towards fuel issue...

At first knowing that I do fuel filter changes regularly I started fretting that the problem was a deeper issue, thinking that injectors may be dying...but decided first off to do another filter change (ie: start simple) and see where to go from there... Thankfully the filter change is all I needed... :)

Hope this might help someone else...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts