1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
622 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bright parking lights / dim lights when braking

Changed out the bulbs. Same thing.

Finding that my brake lights (parking lights) are quite bright and when I press the brake pedal, you can faintly see the brake lights go on but very dim.

With all lights off, when pressing brake pedal down, they are bright.

Anyone else experience this ?

1991 Safari 24V LWB

·
Registered
nissan
622 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Will check.

Thanks

·
Registered
nissan safari
21 Posts
The North American 24V equal to an 1157 (two element bulb) is reversed compared to the JDM bulb, had the same issue when getting new bulbs for my Safari, wound up swapping the wiring so I could use the readily available bulbs.

·
naturally asthmatic
4,387 Posts
The North American 24V equal to an 1157 (two element bulb) is reversed compared to the JDM bulb, had the same issue when getting new bulbs for my Safari, wound up swapping the wiring so I could use the readily available bulbs.
I am not sure i understand. Perhaps I didn't pay enough attention when I got my bulbs. I just went into the local Lordco. My friend there just pulled out his bulb cats and matched the bulbs. If he doesn't have the bulbs in stock, then he usually can have them in from the warehouse in a couple hours. The only difference I have noticed is that the Hella and GE bulbs they sell are a higher wattage than the JDM ones. Even the license plate wedge bulb is brighter than the JDM one.

·
Registered
nissan safari
21 Posts
John, I am not too sure at the moment what the part number was... I just know the standard North American 12V tail/stop bulb is an 1157, so when I went to NAPA and got the new bulbs, the ones they gave me had the exact same result as first mentioned in the thread. Since this particular bulb seems to be very common, I simply rewired the lamp socket, switching the tail and stop circuits, thus resolving the dim brake & bright tail issue.
Likely was a 30856 type bulb. 1157 is 12V, 27/8W, 30856 is 24V, 28/10W

·
Registered
nissan safari
21 Posts
Breadman, the white reverse MIGHT be GE40778... if they look like a 12V 1156 single contact bulb (regular N.A. reverse bulb)

·
Registered
Nissan Patrol GU 2.8TD
135 Posts
i hate to say this but, turn the bulbs the other way around..
i have had quite a few people come into work with this problem.
turn the bulbs around in the socket and you'll be fine providing there the right bulbs yea.

hope that helps

·
Registered
nissan safari
21 Posts
i hate to say this but, turn the bulbs the other way around..
i have had quite a few people come into work with this problem.
turn the bulbs around in the socket and you'll be fine providing there the right bulbs yea.

hope that helps

Indexed bulbs only go in one way, so that was not my problem in this case. My replacement bulbs were different spec.

·
Registered
nissan
622 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
My replacement bulbs were $14 a piece and they are 24V stamp on them

·
naturally asthmatic
4,387 Posts
My replacement bulbs were $14 a piece and they are 24V stamp on them
WTF??? Man that hurts! I didn't pay near that at Lordco. I'll get the numbers for you and post later.

·
Registered
nissan
622 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
it turns out the wiring was reversed. swapped it and the lights works as they should.

·
naturally asthmatic
4,387 Posts
Who reversed the wiring? Did you get a trailer connector wired in? If so, perhaps then. I yanked my JDM trailer wiring on my wife's rig and just tossed it all. What a crappy job and materials. I'll do some proper pig tailing if I decide to put in a proper hitch on her's.

·
Registered
nissan
711 Posts
I HAD the same issue with mine... no more!

Here's a few pictures showing what needs to be done, pretty basic. It can be done differently but this allows you to put it back the way it used to be if needs be. I'm not sure you can see in the last picture but the wires are now mixed at the connection (colour on wire is swapped).

Cheers,
Mr. D

Attachments

·
naturally asthmatic
4,387 Posts
Well guys, I happened to be following the wife on Christmas day and noticed she had no brake lights. Sure enough, her brake/tail light bulbs are reversed. I checked the 5spd and all was good. Anyways, I did the same thing PB4UGO on both of the rigs, except on the 5spd, I just reconnected all the same color wires. I got over 1/2 dozen spare bulbs, so I did not want to be bothered trying to get them exchanged at Lordco.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts