Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey all,

I'm currently going through the process of bringing in wheels from the states and I'm a bit stuck. I'm aware that I will have to pay import taxes and all but was recently told that if the item was made in USA and I proved it with the import invoice, it becomes tax free?

has anybody done it or know if that's correct?

Thanks in advance!

Gary

·
Registered
nissan
510 Posts
Hi Gary,

I think you will find that is the duty not the GST.

Generally speaking most items imported in to Australia have a 5% duty (AFAIK). Certain countries are exempt from that duty through free trade agreements and the USA is one of them.

You will still need to pay the 10% GST on the value of the goods.

·
Registered
357 Posts
If you can keep it under a 1000 you won't need to pay any tax. What wheels are you bringing in?

·
Registered
nissan
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Unfortunately it goes over the $1000 mark. It's around $2,000 and $384 for shipping.
The wheels are made in China but the tyres are made in the US, so does that still exclude me from the duty? Say wheels are $800 and tyres are $1200, if the tyres are made in US but rims aren't, do I still have to pay duty or only gst?

·
The Googlest, Apparently!
nissan patrol
15,814 Posts
Rules state that there is no duty on goods under AU$1000 (which is less than a 1000US) if the goods are made in the US.

However, I have bought a couple of items that were by an American manufacturer from an American physical address but were hecho en México and paid no duty.

So you have an argument for the Chinese made rims if they are an American brand bought from a registered American address.

You may be able to ship it separate (but still on the same ship) to get away with the rims duty free (and I say “may be”), but put them all on the one ticket and you’re farked mate.

I know guys have got away with it, but doing what Jet mentions if fraught with traps for the unwary. Most reputable American companies will not do it due to the FCPA rules.

And the Oz tax man is well aware of this ruse and is watching for it.

A guy I know imported Vance and Hines drag pipes in for his Harley and got the supplier to write down the cost. He got caught and it cost him big time.

·
LED ZEPPELIN
1995 GQ TD42 NA
12,022 Posts
I imported eight 285/70/R17 KM2s a few years ago when the waiting period here was 6-odd months, and I had them sent in pairs, as four were getting real close to the Gerry Harvey Memorial GST Threshold. Freight didn't cost much more doing that way ($25 extra per pair) and it was well worth the effort. The dollar was trading at $1.08US though, which made a huge difference, and 17" KM2s were stupidly pricey here back then - when you could even get them. I don't think it's worth it now.

·
Registered
nissan
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeh, I'm starting to think it's almost not worth it now. All up if I were to pay the duty and gst, I calculated it to be around $2,900. If I buy the exact same thing from Taleb tyres, it's $3,100. For the extra $200 it's worth just getting it here..
Might get some local tyre prices and see if it's worth just getting the rims. The rims are $200 each from US and local they are $350 each.

·
Registered
nissan
510 Posts
Yeh, I'm starting to think it's almost not worth it now. All up if I were to pay the duty and gst, I calculated it to be around $2,900. If I buy the exact same thing from Taleb tyres, it's $3,100. For the extra $200 it's worth just getting it here..
Might get some local tyre prices and see if it's worth just getting the rims. The rims are $200 each from US and local they are $350 each.
Its probably not really worth it then. Especially because once it arrives in Australia the carrier (UPS, DHL, etc) will also charge you a customs lodgement fee. That could be around $60 - $70 in addition to everything else.

·
Registered
5,843 Posts
Ring or email customs. Get the info straight from the agency that will be charging you if you fall into their area of interest. Ask them for their advice on how best to do it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts