Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
gday

firstly, i am a noob on all things mechanical and electrical.

ive got a dual battery system but its never been used it since i bought the car, the battery that was hooked up to it is now dead flat, i thought it would have always been charging under the bonnet from the alternator or from the main battery??

i went into arb while buying an awning and asked if they can troubleshoot it, but they arnt willing to, just wanted to sell me a $700 dual battery system.

can anyone tell me of a reputable auto electrician in south brisbane that would deal with dual battery setups. i google searched but there were no reviews so i came here knowin you guys would know some places

im in sunnybank

thanks

·
Registered
nissan
35 Posts
It should be easy to trouble shoot it yourself. Just connect a multi meter across the second battery terminals with the engine running and see if any charge is coming through. If not the trace it to the previous point in the connection and test there.
All you need to do is find out if the alternator is charging your main battery correctly (apply multi meter leads as above but on the main battery). If the main battery is getting about 14v from the alternator then it's charging correctly. Then just follow the wires across to your second battery testing as you go and see where the power stops. That will be your problem point. If the dual battery uses a VSR (voltage sensative relay) then you may have to run the engine a while to ensure your main battery is fully charged.

HTH

Ivan

·
Registered
nissan
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for the advice Ivan, but i want to get a few more plug in points put in the back and a on/off switch or at least some sort of light to let me know its working on the dash.

id prefer an auto electrcian did all this. i dont want to hack into things and may aswell get them to deal with where the battery and what not is hooked up and charging.

any reputable auto electricians in south bris?

·
Patrol 2.8 TD
nissan patrol
1,640 Posts
chookpoo if your willing to drive a bit, steve mac in soutport is a very good auto elec.

10 Price Street
Southport QLD 4215
(07) 5531 4768

he works on a tonne of fourbys and hes told me some doozies when it comes to dual batteries. After i buy the mount i will be entrusting him to do my dual.

Cheers, hope it helps

·
Registered
nissan
95 Posts
Hi chookpoo if you looking for 1, i`m down at Regents Park, 0409492468, the choice is yours.
Cheers

1 - 5 of 5 Posts