Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
572 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need some help

The story goes was going round a track pretty fast almost full lock right and hit a stump with the left wheel i couldnt see. Was a pretty hard knock and moved my steering wheel so its not aligned anymore.

Didnt notice at the time, but have now because my power steering was moaning at me next time i started her up. Filled it back up with fluid and noticed it shortly later after driving that it was leaking.

It is leaking from what i assume is the power steering box (pictured below). Haven't been able to define exactly where its leaking from, but have degrease and washed it so might take her for a spin and try and find more precisely.

Area circled in green had a plastic ring around it which is now broken but it didn't look like a seal, the two hoses (red circles) ive disconnected and there were to the brim with fluid which i thought being the highest points in the system wouldnt have fluid (assuming the leak is from lower).

How do i go abouts removing this part? theres 4 small nuts which are in yellow do i take them off and disconnect the coupling?

Any ideas on what ive done??

cheers

·
Registered
nissan
11,152 Posts
more than likely its leaking at the seal at the bottom of the steering box. the output shaft connects to your pitman arm which connects to your steering arm going to the left wheel.
have a look underneath at that and id say you will find your leak.

·
Registered
nissan
572 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cheers.
But i got myself a reco box, so will swap em over.
Will look at mine when i take it out to see whats wrong with it.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
1,540 Posts
I burst a hose once going diagonal across a large log. The hose burst as the steering kicked around. The hose was probably original one and they don't last forever.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts