Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
Nissan Patrol
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure where my original post went . . . . anyway here is a pic of what the glow plug from No.2 looked like when plucked today . . . broken tip. Car is a 2002 Patrol with the ZD30 engine and 105,000kms on the clock. It measured as an open circuit so I had a suspicion. The questions now are:
- will the tip have exited or is it still in there?
- will it damage the injector tip
- if it is still in there, will it break the tip off the new glow plug?

:headwall:

·
Registered
Nissan patrol
7 Posts
When i removed the cylinder head off my ZD30 i found that little bit of the glow plug has bounced
around the cylinder and damaged the piston . Then got wedged between the cylinder and piston and made a nice score mark. i don't know about the history of glow plugs but if i still had a ZD30 in my patrol i would be changing them out every 80-90 K

·
"Remember, you're unique... just like everyone els
nissan patrol
1,593 Posts
My glow plugs looked the same so the head came off and it looked like the face of a 16 year old, pitted and completely stuffed. So new head and a swap from the 2.8 ceramic tip plugs to metal 4.2 plugs and she's all sweet again. I will be changing them every 2 years now, the $80ish they cost far out way the price of a new head.

Good luck and I hope it isn't too bad for you.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Diesel mobs are recommending you change them at lease every 100k km's becuse they break off the tips!

Leroy

·
Registered
Nissan Patrol
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah, I figured it would not be pretty on the inside. Damage is done now. Considering how well maintained my bus is I'll bet there are heaps of nmodified ZD30's out there with the same issue, just blissfully ignorant.

·
Registered
nissan
2,707 Posts
Yeah, I figured it would not be pretty on the inside. Damage is done now. Considering how well maintained my bus is I'll bet there are heaps of nmodified ZD30's out there with the same issue, just blissfully ignorant.
Hi Dan, I would try and get in there with a strong magnet on a flexible stem to see if I could take the bit out.

Would then do a compression test / leakdown to see how much damage has been done (if any). You never know, you may be lucky...

Cheers,
Whitie

·
Registered
nissan
2,707 Posts

·
Banned
682 Posts
Hi Dan, I would try and get in there with a strong magnet on a flexible stem to see if I could take the bit out.

Would then do a compression test / leakdown to see how much damage has been done (if any). You never know, you may be lucky...

Cheers,
Whitie
Wouldn't bother as it would either be jammed somewhere and wouldn't come out or have done that much damage it would be stuffed anyway.

·
Autos are Superior
11,701 Posts

Cheers,
Whitie
I sorta agree with the whiteman.. my only issue with that is, the bit still has to be somewhere. If its farted out already sweeet, dan will be pissin gold!

But if it isnt you'd be pissed you didnt remove head and take it out before it did do damage to a bore/piston/valve etc.

bad time of yr to happen too, specially if you have a trip planned.... :(

·
Registered
Nissan Patrol
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the replies guys.

Whitie - I thought the tips were ceramic, so a magnet wouldn't work if that is the case. I'll check out the ones that were removed to see if the tips are ferrous.

Shane - I spoke to Chaz about it as he had the same issue and he believes he has a camera small enough to get thru the glow plug hole. I'll check with him to see if that is successful. And no, it wasn't running bad at all, in fact it is still running great. In Queensland glow plugs are not relied on as much for cold starting . . . I was ironically changing them because my bus just turned over 100,000km. So it was preventative maintenance. I guess I was a bit too slow.

Truckster - we actually got an hour down the road for our Christmas break to Airlie and had to turn around . . . nothing to do with the truck (yes I'm still driving it . . . have no choice) . . . wife and one of my boys picked up a bug at daycare during the week and it decided to rear its ugly head on the road. Yay. Maybe a blessing in disguise.

·
Registered
Nissan Patrol
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have just snapped the tip off one of the "good" glow plugs that I removed. I just used a set of multigrips and it didn't take much force to snap. They are not ferrous so a magnet wont work, thanks for the suggestion though Whitie. Then I went about dropping the blunt end of my big screwdriver which is tool steel (the shaft goes through the handle) onto the tip while it sat on the concrete under the house. It didn't take too much force before the tip broke up into smaller pieces. So unless the alloy head is really soft I would have thought that the absolute pounding it would get in the combustion chamber would have to mean it is long gone. Doesn't mean that it didn't do any damage, but I reckon it won't be found.

In fact now that I think about it, I can remember hearing the truck miss once in its life about a month and a half ago while it was idling as I chatted to a mate. Makes me wonder if that was one of the bits of the tip exiting the exhaust valve.

Anyway now that the Christmas plans have changed I might see what damage I can see down the glow-plug hole. Maybe then the compression and leak-down tests are the next logical thing to do before the head is removed.

·
Registered
nissan patrol gu
735 Posts
I have just snapped the tip off one of the "good" glow plugs that I removed. I just used a set of multigrips and it didn't take much force to snap. They are not ferrous so a magnet wont work, thanks for the suggestion though Whitie. Then I went about dropping the blunt end of my big screwdriver which is tool steel (the shaft goes through the handle) onto the tip while it sat on the concrete under the house. It didn't take too much force before the tip broke up into smaller pieces. So unless the alloy head is really soft I would have thought that the absolute pounding it would get in the combustion chamber would have to mean it is long gone. Doesn't mean that it didn't do any damage, but I reckon it won't be found.

In fact now that I think about it, I can remember hearing the truck miss once in its life about a month and a half ago while it was idling as I chatted to a mate. Makes me wonder if that was one of the bits of the tip exiting the exhaust valve.

Anyway now that the Christmas plans have changed I might see what damage I can see down the glow-plug hole. Maybe then the compression and leak-down tests are the next logical thing to do before the head is removed.

Sad days - had read some time ago that VW did recall and replaced ceramics with metal tip units, also the 2.8 Rodeos have ceramic units but never encountered any problems even on the one that had 650,000k's.

As a suggestion -- if you are trying to look into a cylinder thru the glow plug hole, you might consider getting a white LED from Jaycar and some hookup wire. Solder the wire to the LED, connect across a 1.3v torch battery and lower the LED into the cylinder thru the glow plug hole. This will have the effect of full light in the cylinder and not much blocking view down thru the hole..

My 2 bobs worth

1 - 15 of 15 Posts