Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
Nissan
1,710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just been informed by my Mechanic that I wont be getting my car back today from its 110000km service as aparently the casing behind the cartrage type oil filter split when they tryed to do the cartrage up.

Does this happen often and should I be left to pay the bill for the damage or the mechanic?

·
Registered
nissan patrol gu
735 Posts
Have read of filter housings cracking - apparently caused from incorrect tension when replacing the filter. Sealing of the housing is by the silicon "O"ring in the recess rather than by tension. As a point of interest I have always left the oil filter till the engine has gone "cold" ( co-effient of expansion ) before undoing this housing.

From all accounts this is not a cheap item to replace.... maybe you can get a good 2nd hand unit.... have also read that some in the UK have had there's welded.

If you have been using the same Service Centre for all your servicing, I would be digging my heels in.... correct tensions and work practices = this should not happen.....

My 2 bobs worth

·
Registered
nissan
11,162 Posts
bommodores have the same problem with them cracking lids. they only need like 15nm or something miniscule to stop them leaking as said the oring is the seal not 1000nm of torque.
imo id be somewhat kicking up a stink about it. as under normal proper use shouldnt ever happen.

·
The Bear
nissan
2,407 Posts
The good old filter strap to do the filter up insted of hand tight by the sounds of it
Dont you mean hands tight instead of stretching the thread with a filter wrench till it splits the housing, thats the problem, not rocket science to change a filter without breaking something, and I seriously doubt you could split one with hand tension alone, unless you're built like Arnie.

Wrench to take it off, OK though, 'cause the seals get baked on or rather the oil gets baked dry.

VOIDS; I would be insisting on them paying for a new one, there is no reason for a filter to be that tight, thats the problem with unsupervised monkeys in the workshop - and getting charged out at tradies rates.

if they deny the claim, insist that they show/demonstrate on the new one how you can split it by hand and state that you will pay for a new one if they can do it, and watch the bluster and bullchit commence.

·
Go Hard or Go Home
3,197 Posts
Just been informed by my Mechanic that I wont be getting my car back today from its 110000km service as aparently the casing behind the cartrage type oil filter split when they tryed to do the cartrage up.

Does this happen often and should I be left to pay the bill for the damage or the mechanic?
They broke the oil cooler housing, they WILL replace it with a new one I say.

That will hurt them, around $600 I was quoted in the past........

Have they stated that its going to cost you or them?

Did it break when they removed it or installed the filter?

For the others, the 3lr has a cartridge which is instaleld into a case which is done up with a ratchet or breaker bar. Not over tightened though (20-24Nm).

Also, ask what tension did they apply? Got them by the balls if they can not answer that one or need to look it up.

·
Registered
Nissan
1,710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Still waiting on the car but spoke to my brother who is a motor mechanic and her recons it is not unheard of to break the casing just by trying to remove your oil filter on the ZD30. Has seen it happen before no fault to the mechanic removing the filter.

Maybe it was previously over tightened at nissan

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
it is not unheard of to break the casing just by trying to remove your oil filter on the ZD30.
You said it broke when installing before.
If it did break when installing then I'm sure it's with the mechanic to sort out.
If it broke when removing then it may be due to someone elses error.

·
Registered
Nissan
1,710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Finally picked up the car this arvo and had a chat to the mechanic. It actually happened when they where trying to remove the filter so Not his fault appears it was incorrectly torqued by Nissan dealership previous service. I did have a look at the part and yes broken and cracked around the thread of the filter cartrage.

no matter who was going to change the filter this would have happened to them.

Second hand part fitted as there was no genuine parts avalable in the country.

I recon personally recon the O ring was not changed for a while causing the o- ring to compress and harden, and instead of there being a slight gap between the cartrage and the body there was no gap causing the alloy to tighten against its self, causing it to bind up.

I recomend anyone who is attempting to remove their filter and is having trouble removing it go straight back to who ever complete the last service and let them remove it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts