Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
nissan patrol
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey I have been thinking bout doing a conversion of my Zd30 to a Brunswick 6.5L has anybody had it done recently if so do you like it. It will be good to talk to someone that has had it done

·
Premium Member
Patrol Hybrid.
11,105 Posts
I have one and am happy with it. Professionally done and no problems in 80k km. Towed a 21'6" caravan around Oz.

·
Premium Member
Patrol Hybrid.
11,105 Posts
About 4-5 years ago $26k normal aspirated, turboed about 18 months ago $5k. If you want a race car this is not for you, I did mine for towing a caravan, 3rd gear was the lowest on any hill climb except when stuck behind lesser vehicles. Fuel around 18-24 litres per 100 towing. Around 14l/100 on a trip, vehicle is over three ton with bullbar and roof rack. Tyres are Toyo A/T LT285/70R17. Ring Greg and havachat, he's a good bloke. There were different motors and you can trade yours.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks mate going down tomorrow for a test drive. But just want to hear what owners had to say

·
Previously known as twodiffs
nissan
3,673 Posts
Mate there used to be a member on here, username was Roachie.
Have a search of his posts because he had a GU with either a 6.2 or 6.5 Chev
diesel V8. He knew everything there was to know and hopefully his posts are still in the system.

·
Registered
nissan gq
331 Posts
Mate if your considering spending big money on a conversion don't overlook the mighty 6bt cummins the best motor cummins ever made.
Unbelievable power, torque and economy.
I have done two conversions one into a f100 and a f150.
8k per litre just the ute at 110 only drop to 7k per litre with 26' van at 100.
Not sure where you are but if you know the hills around Bridgetown I only ever had to drop out of 5th for one hill (hesters hill) with the 26' van.
Amazing engines 300,000k to run it in and should do close to a million.

jim

·
Registered
nissan patrol gu6
1,607 Posts
Test drove one of the cars down at BD that HO fuel pump on it.
Can say it was no slouch off the mark I'd happily have one. Once at hwy speed it was similar to my ZD, for those that don't know was about as tricked up as they come.

Sent from my S60 using Tapatalk

·
The Googlest, Apparently!
nissan patrol
16,525 Posts
As rgren2 has stated, these are not rocket ships, but they do go an go.

I had one, a Brunswick new crate turbo intercooled and it is not the same as a ZD or CRD no matter what you think you know.

With a ZD I could not tow my boat (3.5t), with the 6.5 could do it all day long and keep up with traffic no problem.

On its own I could take off in second and beat most vehicles away at the lights (and leave a bunch of soot all over them ;) )

Trip over east fully laden (no boat) passing road trains at +125kph with no effort at all. Got over taken by four fat chicks in a 1960's mini with my CRD.

One thing is agreed, you will not get your money back when you sell it, none of us do, no matter what the modification is (engine, suspension or what have you etc etc) and you are a fool to think you will.

Did it detract when selling it, an emphatic no.

They were lining up to take it off my hands...

·
Registered
nissan
79 Posts
I replaced my ZD30 DI three years ago with a Brunswick 6.5 turbo/intercooled diesel.
Best thing i ever dud.
As others have said you only do half the gear changes by not having to change
down as often.
We tow a Tvan and have done half the Simpson with it.
Fantastic - no need to churn up the hills just purred over them with all tyres at 15psi.
I do all the servicing myself - no computer to fail - no fancy fuel pump - usually
get 1 or 2 litres more used per 100 but on tracks or roads it does them with ease.
City traffic is good as third and fourth gets you most everywhere.
I love it.

One reason to convert not upgrade was the truck had everything else we needed.
To change would be a hassle.

Cheers
Peter.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hi boundary rider I’m not sure how to pm but would love to see urs and talk a bit bout them

·
Registered
nissan patrol
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
To all those people that have put that I shouldn’t change my zd30 don’t know that I have put 5k into it and still have electrical probs with it it’s a absolute crap engine

·
Premium Member
Patrol Hybrid.
11,105 Posts
Hi boundary rider I’m not sure how to pm but would love to see urs and talk a bit bout them
Click on boundary riders name, a heap of options come up. It's one of those.
I too like the fact that I have no computer stuff controlling the engine, even has a proper cable going from the go pedal to the engine. All old school. :p

·
Registered
nissan patrol
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yeah I worked it out I didn’t know there’s no more fly by wire that’s great I’m ova elec parts stuffing up

·
SUI GENERIS UTE
GQ Ute 1990 Silvertop
5,829 Posts
To the OP, i am Not a fan of the 6.5 BUT i do admire them, not the domestic version which i think Brunswick use.

I have had a bit to do with the marine version which is the military version which is very VERY different from the old GM domestic version.

The P400 marine block version is completely redone different material in the block and head different water galleries in both head and block and the crank is forged and the big difference is it doesn't have main caps like normal they have a girdled cap assembly complete. STRONG AS..####

Obviously these P400 6.5's are pretty strong and reliable and dont get heating issues or crack their heads or crack the main web supports in the block like the domestic engine does, when a bit of extra torque is added.

Also they still manufacture this engine even today for marine and military use.

They are not a performance engine and really are a bit lackluster when you compare power to capacity. They are obviously a precomp engine and with their tiny valve's and long runners doesn't allow to much in the power department even with mega boost volume and pressure. (Compound Turbo's)

The marine version has a much bigger volume injector pump and higher volume pop off injectors but even then with a HX35 sized turbo and sea water cooled intercooler they still only push 300hp and a bit over 500ftlb max.

I have tried to get them to hump more power with fuel and more air volume but they just don't respond past the 250hp engine mark. The P400 engine block and head wont break and could easily handle way past the 1000Nm mark but the tiny heads just dont allow you to do so. They were designed as a tractor engine with economy and reliability in mind, even though the domestic 6.5 was a POS for reliability with silly crap like the injector pump electronic module stuck on the pump and set deep in the Vee failed after a few hundred hours. Questionable reliability issues with cooling etc. Brunswick would have addressed these issues with their own mods and fixes. Still the domestic block and heads are a POS.

If your heart is set on a real dinosaur engine then i would try and get a marine spec P400 crate engine. IT WILL NEVER BREAK as said you just cannot get the performance from them to break it. In the US these P400 marine engines have seen well past 50 thousand hours before tear down, 30 thousand hours of abuse is common. I am pretty sure the Hummer has similar reliability hours otherwise they wouldn't be using them.

Towing aside they are funny to drive in our GU/GQ manual they pull hard but get nowhere is how i would describe them. They feel good when the torque comes on but no flexible power to make them fast. But in a chev truck with an auto they do feel a hell of a lot better and can be quite brisk with a few performance mods.

Oh Forgot the best thing about these engines they sound fantastic..

1 - 20 of 77 Posts