Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

61 - 77 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
nissangu
92 Posts
Hi all. I have just swapped my td42 gu ute for a wagon fitted with the 6.5 optimiser td and i have to say that going from a 200+ RWKW engine to the v8 was rather disappointing. The torque off idle is good and i love the sound of the v8 through the 4 inch exhaust but find that it runs out of legs fairly quickly. I think that it just needs a completely different driving style to the td. You need to ride the torque wave because they seem to have stuff all power. Just something i will have to get used to i think.
Cheers

·
Registered
nissan
31 Posts
hi bren85 , i had a turbo 6.5 optimiser put in mine in 2014 from brunswicks, no dramas at all very profesional looking job, the only part of the conversion i wasnt overly happy about was there inhouse exhaust system, looked pretty ugly and restrictive (since been swapped out with a custom straight through setup,
my wagon was originally a 4.8 manual with 4.3-1 diffs, they were way to low geared for a 6.5, they were swapped out for a set of 3.5-1 out of a 4.8 auto wagon. with the 3.5s motor sits at 1950-2000 rpm at 110kph and 2250-2300 in 4th at 100kph rolling on 285-75 16 tyres. as my mowing business is set up on a car trailer and fully laden is about 2.1 ton, it will pull it with ease. my own personal rule of never towing in 5th was the reason i went with the 3.5 diff ratios, i can do 100kph towing easily in 4th and it cruises in 5th.
yes, low range 4x4ing suffers as well as reversing is a bit fast but if i need to back up slowly,i just use lo4
as far as fuel economy i regularly see 13-14l/100km when on a long run, 15-16 when just cummuting around and usually 17-18 when towing my trailer around which as i mentioned is about 2.1 ton

all in all im pretty happy with my decision to do 6.5 swap, i was never expecting it to be a tyre fryer , its an old school low tech motor which is why people like it ,

my 2c worth

·
Registered
nissangu
92 Posts
Boundry Rider as best as i can tell it is a mechanical pump. I can only see a wire going to the fuel solenoid on top of the pump.

·
Master Coalroller
nissan
3,242 Posts
Yep mechanical IP. Other than the obvious changes from from riding in a respospnsive inline 6cl to a torquey short stroke V8, the IP timing and advance are critical to driving response. Check the post I put up here in this section about fuel pump supply pressure.
Also what are your diff ratios? This engine will run out of revs very quickly, I have 3.5's and run 35" tyres as well to maximise torque to the wheels

·
Registered
nissangu
92 Posts
I am unsure of the diff ratios but im sure i read somewhere above that you sit on 2200 rpm at 110 whereas im doing about 2500 rpm on 35s
It also has a lift pump

·
Master Coalroller
nissan
3,242 Posts
Lift pump should supply good pressure, doesn't hurt to test though. At 2000rpm wide open you want at least 2 psi on a normal cool day.
I'm doing 1980rpm in 5th at 100kmh, offhand can't remember my 110kmh rpm. You would do well to check out a faster diff ratio, the torque isn't being put to work up at 2500rpm it's just all noise.
My 15 L Detriot prime mover only pulls between 1350 and 1600 with a roadtrain despite being 560hp at 1800 rpm. Steepest part of the HP curve is where the work is. On the 15 L Detroit it's 1450 rpm and presto that's where it presents the best acceleration rate.

·
Premium Member
Patrol Hybrid.
11,105 Posts
Don't EVER stuff a radiator in one of these. I just traded my first born for one
How did this happen? Where did you get the replacement from?

·
Registered
nissangu
92 Posts
The little squiggly bits between the cores just fell right out leaving about 150mm of cores flapping around. Aparantly they are a custom core. Paid $1400 pp from brunswick and that was with 15% off.

·
Master Coalroller
nissan
3,242 Posts
The little squiggly bits between the cores just fell right out leaving about 150mm of cores flapping around. Aparantly they are a custom core. Paid $1400 pp from brunswick and that was with 15% off.
Where was that sourced, and what was the age?

·
Registered
nissangu
92 Posts
The conversion was done in 2013, 45000 kays. Im guessing that it had a dunking in salt water maybe. thats about all i can think of that would make the fins become so brittle and fall out

·
Master Coalroller
nissan
3,242 Posts
Ok. Mine was a Silverado radiator donated with the front cut I acquired as part of the engine deal. It was the original 1990’s plastic tank radiator and I’ve had it in the big grey since install 2009. Tank blew 2 months ago but core was fine except some impact damage whilst shipping from the US with the engine. I replaced it with a custom alluminium Silverado one for about $550 including shipping from the US.
Your missing fins looks like cheap material/ assembly or defective manufacturing. I’ve never seen one gone that quickly anywhere lol

·
SUI GENERIS UTE
GQ Ute 1990 Silvertop
5,827 Posts
I haven't seen that sort of thing for a very long time. When alloy cores started to be introduced that sort of thing was somewhat common. When the Chinese/Taiwanese started supply this effect started again. I believe its a manufacturing process fault. Probably a bad batch in the mix of supply Brunswick got.

Maybe a call to them to see if they had a replacement policy on these rads. But sadly the rad is 5 years old they probably consider that as life cycle with no replacement.

Also just to be fair i have seen that sort of damage but not as bad on alloy radiators when there is electrolysis action happening, But that amount of damage is a lot of serious stray electricity happening in radiator isolation. Which is probably what is happening here.

·
Registered
nissangu
92 Posts
Thanks Oldmav, i had not given electrolysis any thought. I will drop the meter in it when i get it back together.

61 - 77 of 77 Posts