Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
902 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All, I heard a rather strange sound coming from my engine yesterday morning on the way to work. Sounded like the turbo spooling up except way louder.
Had a look at the turbo tonight and there is heaps of float in the bearing. So it looks like Im up for a new or reco one.
Any ideas of where to go in Adelaide for a Denco turbo and maybe aprox price?

·
Registered
325 Posts
you cant replace the bush / bearing , unless it is a roller bearing then it is a bit tricky
Where'd you get this information? I have two rebuild kits for Schwitzer/Borg Warner/Denco turbos in my garage.. The old bush bearing turbos, depending on what has failed are easily rebuilt. Call Denco themselves captain hook.. Just need to send them the old turbo..

·
BLACK BETTY
607 Posts
I just rebuilt my garrett t3. $120 for the rebuild kit and gaskets, $110 to balance and a couple hours in the shed. It was quite easy.

There was no damaged parts on mine to replace. The exhaust side seal was carbon up causing drag.

Got my parts and balance from MTQ here in brisbane.

·
Registered
nissan
675 Posts
I just rebuilt my garrett t3. $120 for the rebuild kit and gaskets, $110 to balance and a couple hours in the shed. It was quite easy.

There was no damaged parts on mine to replace. The exhaust side seal was carbon up causing drag.

Got my parts and balance from MTQ here in brisbane.
Hey, couple of questions, if you don't mind?
Were any special tools needed for the o'haul?
How many kilometers did your turbo do, and what was the indication you needed a rebuild?

I'm sure it was a misprint when ITSA said 'you cant', should have read 'you can'.

·
The nutty professor
8,299 Posts
Where'd you get this information? I have two rebuild kits for Schwitzer/Borg Warner/Denco turbos in my garage.. The old bush bearing turbos, depending on what has failed are easily rebuilt. Call Denco themselves captain hook.. Just need to send them the old turbo..
That's what I meant, rebuild it , unless it's a roller bearing

·
BLACK BETTY
607 Posts
Hey, couple of questions, if you don't mind?
Were any special tools needed for the o'haul?
How many kilometers did your turbo do, and what was the indication you needed a rebuild?

I'm sure it was a misprint when ITSA said 'you cant', should have read 'you can'.
No special tools needed. A little tricky getting bearing retaining circlips in and out. I used a seal pick and a small screw driver.

The turbo had done around the 30 thousand km. I noticed a lack of power over time. When I inspected the turbo the shaft would not spin freely.
I get a far bit of blow by threw the crankcase breather which is plumbed into the intake and i believe that has cause the carbon build up in the exhaust side. I am planning on fitting a crankcase filter or catch can in the future. I might even try running a different oil.

If you google search there are a couple of step by step guides on rebuilding a turbo.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
902 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Time for an update. I removed the turbo today. theres about 0.5mm play in the shaft. I have spoken to a couple of companies here in adelaide. I think I will just send the turbo core off for reconditioning. Now I just need to make it all happen so I can still go away next weekend. HHHMMM

·
Registered
nissan
675 Posts
No special tools needed. A little tricky getting bearing retaining circlips in and out. I used a seal pick and a small screw driver.

The turbo had done around the 30 thousand km. I noticed a lack of power over time. When I inspected the turbo the shaft would not spin freely.
I get a far bit of blow by threw the crankcase breather which is plumbed into the intake and i believe that has cause the carbon build up in the exhaust side. I am planning on fitting a crankcase filter or catch can in the future. I might even try running a different oil.

If you google search there are a couple of step by step guides on rebuilding a turbo.

Hope that helps.
Ah thanks, sounds like a catch can should be high priority.
Luckily i don't get any blow by (well, none I can detect). Use Dello 400, but no idea if that has anything to do with it.

·
BLACK BETTY
607 Posts
Ah thanks, sounds like a catch can should be high priority.
Luckily i don't get any blow by (well, none I can detect). Use Dello 400, but no idea if that has anything to do with it.
I was reading the thread about different oil's the other day. A few blokes use and are happy with the dello 400. I might give it a go my self.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts