Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
Nissan
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hay everyone
Thourght it was about time to introduce my self. I don't actually have a patrol yet however I just got back from cape York and have decided its time to retire my t31xtrail from touring duties as its just to small for any serious distance( is a very competent 4x4 when driven right). So the permission has been given to get somethin a bit bigger.
So I'm in the market for a GQ td42.
I want to build the "ultimate touring rig" capable of doing month long trips and can also handle some serious terrain while its at it. So with this in mind it think a dual cab gq build is in order.
So if anyone has a gq already cut to a dual cab for sale and shoot me a pm.
Also thinking about 35" tyres and 3" suspensions lift super flex arms the standard stuff.
That's enough for now hopefully will be back soon as a patrol owning member.
Tim

·
Registered
nissan
1,109 Posts
I used to drive a T31. Loved it, but there is absolutely no comparison between it and a patrol!

Whats your budget? Dual cabs are certainly cool but unless you buy one already done they are pretty expensive to do right.

·
Registered
Nissan
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hay mate the t31 dose alright its got 3" lift 29" AT tiers custom rear wheel carrier with max track holder Tuff alloy winch bar with 12000 lb domin8r winch and custom bash plates front and rear. Whatever I cant drive I can normally winch so it realy is a cool beast. Having said that I did get her bogged on the way home from work today in a deceptively deep bog hole. But yer in real world no comparison to the gq. I have a budget of 5g for the car so was more thinking I would have to buy a wagon and chop it my self for that coin but if there is on already done I may be able to convince the wife to let me spend more. I am a fitter machinists with lots of fab experience to chop one but would save time to buy one already done. I'm also planing to make a enclosed alloy canopy for the back with a rack to put my rooftop tent.
what is the least amount of lift ( suspension only) you need to run 35"x12.5 tiers on the gq.
Cheers
Buggs

·
LED ZEPPELIN
1995 GQ TD42 NA
12,022 Posts
Welcome Buggs.

You can run 35s on a GU with 2" lift, but GQ has smaller wheelarches than GU.

·
Registered
Nissan
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Will you fit 35 ith a 3" lift I didn't realy want to go much taller. Also can you get 35" engineered to be legal in nsw.

·
Registered
Nissan
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Was a bit worried with going to high to keep the roll center low this will be a full on touring rig so big lift is not that import. I was only thinking 35s to get some clerance under the diff, would you think 33s would be enough

·
LED ZEPPELIN
1995 GQ TD42 NA
12,022 Posts
33s with a 2" lift is perfectly adequate and indeed for a tourer I would not go any bigger than that.

·
Registered
Nissan
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Do 33" need engineers to be legal or can they go straight on. Are body lifts still able to be made legal or are they a no go any more.

·
Registered
Nissan GU coil cab ute.
219 Posts
I agree with Squalo, if your looking for a full time tour rig stay with 33's and a 2 or 3" lift. 3" will technically need engineering though. Unless you just swear black and blue its only 2'' lift if you ever get pulled up.
Bodylifts require a mod plate by an approved person/engineer.
You can increase your tyre size by 25mm without a mod plate, therefore 285/75R16's should be legal. A proper 33x12.5R15 or 305/70R16(33x12.5R16) I don't think would be.
Ypu can do a total lift increase of 75mm, ie 50mm suspension and 25 tyres before needing a mod plate.

·
Registered
Nissan GU coil cab ute.
219 Posts
If your gonna go to the hassle of getting an engineers report for the hybrid superior arms, rear arms, etc you might as well get a 3" lift done too. IF they can do it, im under the impression up here you still cant go over 50mm in suspension, if you want to go higher in lift it has to be 50mm suspension then 50mm body.

·
Registered
Nissan
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yer 2" lift sounds like the way to go than I guess if I need more I can always make some body block. In NSW you can legally increase the rolling dimater a max of 7% from the largest standard tyre fitted to that vehicle. Didn't think superior arms required a engineering cert that sux but I will need one for the dual cab chop so was just going to get everything done at the same time.

·
Registered
nissan
1,109 Posts
35s are cool and all but if you found an xtrail 'competent' then i think you'll find a patrol on 33s more than enough. I'm not saying 35s don't have their place, but get used to the car first and you may decide you don't need them :)

·
Registered
Nissan GU coil cab ute.
219 Posts
Yeh any suspension component that changes the original geometry of the vehicle requires a eng cert. So even you standard superior 2'' arm would require a cert due to the arm having a different curve to the factory arm to suit the 2" lift. Hybrid arms definitely do due to them being a completely different set up utilising a drop box style mount, and changing the arm mount from pin to eye bush.

·
Registered
Nissan
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
so big intro time............ I am officially GQ owner now :victory::victory:.
ended up spending a bit more than i was originally looking to but came away with on hell of a good start to my dual cab touring rig.
so the truck as it stands now
1995 dual cab GQ red/black
td42 turbo with 33000k on the clock
2" OME suspension lift with air bags in rear
2" body lift
superior hd steering arm and draglink
patrol doctor comp bar with custom headlight hoops
custom rock sliders
xr8 buckets
lightforce xgt spot lights
33"x 12.5" MT MTZ on 16" black gu alloys
patrol doctor 4"ss through the bonnet snorkel
3" straight through pipe
everything engineered and full 12 month NSW rego.

SO things to do
MTZs have to go these things are noisy as f#*K i have no idea how people run big mud tires full time and this will by my daily so need to get something a bit more sedate for now.

After initial inspection there is a lot of work to be done on the electrics almost a full rip out and start again.

pull the winch out of the xtrail and mount in the bar

start to get the ball rolling on the canopy for the back. I did some measuring and looks like i should be able to put on something 1400L 1900W and 950H but i will have to do a bit more thinking before i can be set on the measurements.

I am after advice on tyre options tho I am thinking an aggressive AT style but don't want to spend $400 on the big name ones. want to stick with the 33" but think i could drop a bit in the width to get a bit of road manners back however not super important.
Biggest thing is noise, I cant handle the howl of the MTZ(just my opinion im sure there is louder tyers out there but these seem bad to me) and this thing will be doing a lot of miles on tar, i tend to steer away from mud if i can any way. I was looking at the hankook dynapro mt as i have read that they are more like an AT more than a MT and i have the dynapro ATM on the xtrail and they are a grate little tire but i feel just a bit to close patter for the stuff i will be doing.
any way enough for now will through up picks very soon than let the mods begin

Tim.

·
Registered
Nissan
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
went for a bit of a spin this arvo and found my self very stuck.
only 3 days after i polished it too, oh well is a 4wd after all not meant to be clean.

Attachments

·
Registered
Nissan
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Been a very long time since I have updated this and there has been a bit of progress with the old bus, i will let the pics do most of the talking. I brought a alloy canopy for it but it was 2.4m long so after some cut shut work i had me 1.5m long canopy on and ready for use. I have also got rid of the steel wheels and put on a set of gu alloys that i got for a barging.

Attachments

·
Registered
Nissan
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Fitted up my pioneer roof rack, awning and roof top tent. Also changed the snorkel to a forward facing with a safari 4" ram head to get extra room to fit the platform on. I have made some drawers for the canopy ( will get a pic of the done tomorrow and put up) with three big drawers that extend 1050mm and are huge and a nice little slide out table. Next on the list is a tilting fridge slide for the evacool. I also have 2 140amph AGM batteries in the canopy and will be getting a ctek dc-dc charger for them soon.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 23 Posts