Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
1,792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone as some of you know im on a lap around australia. While we are away we are planning our next move when we get back!!
We have our eye on a 2000sqm block of land and thinking about putting 2 kit homes on it. One 2x1 and a 4x2. Ive called the council and im aloud to build both and a big shed : ).
We were thinking of building the 2x1 first then living in that while we build the 4x2.
Has anyone on here ever built a kit home before? How much extra cost is there? (floor coverings,electrical,plumbing)

These are few of the ones we are looking at.
This is the 2x1 we want:
The Ascot WA Country Builder Designs and Prices

And the 4x2s
The Clairview WA Country Builder Designs and Prices
The Fortescue WA Country Builder Designs and Prices
The Walpole Loft Series WA Country Builder Designs and Prices

I would build them myself as a owner/builder and obviesly its alot of work but this place is where we want to spend a long time so i think it would be worth the effort and hard work. What do you guys think???

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
48,269 Posts
It was a long time ago but I built a kit home down at St Georges Basin as an owner builder, with the help of a few relo's, friends and a mates generator and very long days we got it to lock up in 2 weeks but it took me 2 years to finish it. Mate it's very hard to put a price on fittings etc as it comes down to personal taste and what you want out of it.

The one I built was very close to the Ascot, but I really like that Fortescue.

·
Pass the Popcorn
Nissan Datsun Patrol
6,586 Posts
The Fortescue WA Country Builder Designs and Prices

This one for the win! Will you be setting out stumps yourself? Get them right and your laughing! Foundations are crucial, once your out of the ground and and have a sub floor the frame will go up in no time?

·
Registered
nissan
1,792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It will be built on a concrete pad instead of stilts. The fortescue is my faverite to! Id love to have a balcony.
GU2 was it a 2x1 you built? How come it took 2 years to finish?

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
48,269 Posts
It will be built on a concrete pad instead of stilts. The fortescue is my faverite to! Id love to have a balcony.
GU2 was it a 2x1 you built? How come it took 2 years to finish?
I had a 4 hour drive to the site and I was doing a lot of project work so time wasn't on my side.

·
Registered
nissan
978 Posts
Hope you've got cash for the kits.

Went to the bank the other day for a loan and was told that they won't loam for owner builders,

Ie, they won't loan to purchase the kits if I build (I'm not a qualified builder), but they will if I engage a qualified builder (and I can help).

·
The Member Formerly Known as Lusty Dusty
nissan
6,172 Posts
Build a kitset garden shed first.
This will hone your swearing and cussing skills. Then you're ready to go....lol.

Cheers....Lionel.

·
Registered
nissan
1,792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hope you've got cash for the kits.

Went to the bank the other day for a loan and was told that they won't loam for owner builders,

Ie, they won't loan to purchase the kits if I build (I'm not a qualified builder), but they will if I engage a qualified builder (and I can help).
Really thats interesting! Did you show them that you had councel approval? Would it be possible to refinance on your mortage and withdraw the money you need?
And that makes sense GU2 thats a long drive to get to site. Would hate to forget something improtant!!!

·
Pass the Popcorn
Nissan Datsun Patrol
6,586 Posts
The rules have been changed when it comes to owner builder applications. You will need to do a 4 day owner builder course. BIL wants to do an extension but before the permit is given he needs to complete it. Banks won't look at him until its complete either.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
1,351 Posts
Duchman I rented a 2 storey holiday home like this and it was great with the exception of the noise that was heard downstairs by people walking around upstairs and flushing toilets. Check that out, single storey wouldn't have that issue.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
7,467 Posts
Looked into these when we were looking at building again, just out of our price range.
Can't remember who it was but someone posted up a company that build barn style homes, still great designs but bit cheaper.
Pretty similar style to these, was spewing cause I would maybe have gone that way if shire would have approved it in our area.

·
Registered
nissan
2,091 Posts
Is it gonna be a bit tight having 2 houses on 2000sqm?

You've obviously got a plan for 2 houses? One for you and one for the mother in law? Or one for you and one for rental? Either way you don't wanna be living on top of each other.

Self building will be a great experience though, much like doing a lap which you're currently enjoying.

·
Registered
nissan
354 Posts
Is it gonna be a bit tight having 2 houses on 2000sqm?

The size of blocks of land these days and the way things are built, you could easily put 4 houses on a block that size.

You're looking at almost 1/2 acre there, so split down the middle, you're looking at 2 1/4 acre blocks, which once upon a time was a fairly standard block size until idiots started building on 400m² blocks.

·
Pass the Popcorn
Nissan Datsun Patrol
6,586 Posts
That was the gov/land councils fault! They changed the number of house blocks per hectare for 10 to 15, hense 4-500sqm blocks became the norm!

·
Registered
nissan
8,930 Posts
Banks wont touch kit home as a home loann or extend a land loan for them, how the hell are they going to get thier money back on a half finished nothing if you go under?

As a shareholder of a major bank Im damn glad they dont.

However, you can get a personal loan and use it on one if your credit is ok. Higher rate than a home loan and a faster pay off period however for the usual amounts of kit homes (<$100k) its not that much a month.

The home is one cost but there are lots of other costs like if you have town water / sewage / power ect. If not put aside a min of $25k to get these sorted.

·
Registered
nissan
1,792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thats a good point JohnH i never considerd that. Although if we go with the fortisque it will only be me and the wife up there and we could try insulate the area between the 2 stories it will help with noise i guess. I was also thinking of putting a concrete slab (about 25mm) in the wet areas.

And once we move into the bigger house we will rent the cottage out or get our patents or some mates in there.

Its a very narrow block but very long (20mx100m roughly) so the plan was to put the cottage right at the back and the house up the front with the shed in the middle so living ontop of each other shouldnt be a problem.
The zoneing of the block is really good as there is no building envelope which means i can build anywear i want as long as its more than 1m from the side of the block. And im aloud to build 2 houses and a 120sqm shed as long as i dont take up more than 45% of the size of the block.

I also have the option of sub dividing at the moment i can make it into 2 blocks or if deep sewage came through i can divide it into 6 and sell them off. And buy somewere else with my big bags of money. But ive called the water corp and the chance of deep sewage going through is not very likely at this stage. :(

·
Registered
nissan
1,792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Banks wont touch kit home as a home loann or extend a land loan for them, how the hell are they going to get thier money back on a half finished nothing if you go under?

As a shareholder of a major bank Im damn glad they dont.

However, you can get a personal loan and use it on one if your credit is ok. Higher rate than a home loan and a faster pay off period however for the usual amounts of kit homes (<$100k) its not that much a month.

The home is one cost but there are lots of other costs like if you have town water / sewage / power ect. If not put aside a min of $25k to get these sorted.
That sux what differance does it make if its a personal loan rather than an extension on a mortage other than the interest rate?
And if they will let me get the kit if i hire a builder than what differance does that make other than the fact that is going to cost more which means i need to borrow more which mean theres more chance of not being able to pay them back so they will still end up with half a house?

I was expecting more than 25k for extras

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
48,269 Posts
When I did mine, as said very close the the Ascot you have shown, I did it on piers for a couple of reasons, plumbing and running bits and pieces is more convenient and ready made storage underneath. I got a bricky to do the piers and I did the rest.

·
Registered
nissan
11,162 Posts
I think when I looked into doing this a while back. NAB bank were offering ways to owner build and what not. Dunno if they still do but worth a look. And banks are way over cautious in a lot of ways these days. To busy making billions in profit and worrying Bout shareholders to care about services and the people using them.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts