Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
11,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey All I'm looking to build a rear bar for the shortie soon as my current one Is bent.
Anyway wanna make a box sorta centre with tube wings. Now the design I have pretty well got Sussed. Buy I ain't to sure what size materials the make the tow bar section out of. Mainly for main crossbar, tongue insert size and what bracing I'd need. Il proba just buy a proper tongue. And would like to get it properly tested and approved. As not to create a major safety hazard.
Il try do some rough sketches when i get home to describe what I mean.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
1,364 Posts
not certian but im pretty sure to get an engineer to look at it will cost you a fair bit, then once you add materials its probably not far off buying one. someone else will be able to tell u if im right or not but thats what i was lead to believe

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
not certian but im pretty sure to get an engineer to look at it will cost you a fair bit, then once you add materials its probably not far off buying one. someone else will be able to tell u if im right or not but thats what i was lead to believe
I agree, except I think it would cost far more than buying one to get it engineered.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
1,364 Posts
someone told me an engineers certificate is in the $500s? but i dont think its compulsary to get it certificated? ive got a few mates at work who are boilermakers and they had made a few to sell and didnt bother getting the certificate but if thats legal or not im not sure. i know you dont need a certificate or even a qualifercation to build a trailer which i dont see being any diffferent

·
Registered
nissan
11,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Alright well il leave the engineer out of the equation for now. But i still want it built with the right stuff as I wanna use the haymen Reece pin as a form of recovery point as well as a tow bar. So it needs to be strong. Il be using the original towbar mounts on the side plus te holes the normal side rear bar bolts to. Plus also the 4 bolts where the factory tiedown is bolted to so it shod be fairly solidly mounted.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts