Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay lads, I posted on here about choosing a steel or alloy bar. I've chosen the steel one but now I need to know about mounting it. The [email protected] that I bought the Mav off "built" a bar and when mounting it used different size bolts and poorly mounted the bar, due to this the chassis rails is rather messed up at the bolt holes.
What I'm asking is can i fit the bar and just use a backing plate inside the rails or does it need to be welded in? Also can i just use hi tensile bolts or do I need to use certain bolts?

Not sure if I've made sense please ask if not?!?!?

·
Registered
nissan
1,819 Posts
The bolts are usually hi tensile so yes there. Only thing I would say about the chassis mess is if you have a mate with a welder, grinder and some smarts he should be able to do some repair work and strengthen it as well just to be on the safe side and then you can fit the bar safely.

·
Registered
nissan
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cheers mate, I'm thinking of just going over board and making it safe as buggery. Like smoothing out the chassis rails and using an 6 - 8 mm backing plate. Would rather it look stupidly overboard and be safe then look great and be dodgy.

·
Registered
nissan
1,819 Posts
Cheers mate, I'm thinking of just going over board and making it safe as buggery. Like smoothing out the chassis rails and using an 6 - 8 mm backing plate. Would rather it look stupidly overboard and be safe then look great and be dodgy.
That's the best option just about everything else is over engineered on our mav/patrols already so why not the bulbar mounts. It's better than driving home after being in the bush with it on your roof rack.

·
Registered
nissan
2,588 Posts
when i took the arb bar off my old gq it had different bolts as 1 side of the chassis has bolts already welded in and the other side had a plate with nuts welded on that you slid down into the chassis

1 - 5 of 5 Posts