Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

this is going to be a big luck if someone can actually diagnose this but I have to try. I am not even sure I can describe this properly with my limited english but it's worth a shot.

For some time now I'm having an intermittent issue with my 2.8 GU. When I'm driving about 60km/h I suddenly hear this noise that is accompanied with slight vibrations of the whole car. Usually this happens when I hit a tiny bump, the jump sets it off.

The sound is then present for few second or minutes and then suddenly disappears. The best way to describe the sound is it sounds like the aboriginal bullroarer but deeper.

The sound sounds and feels like it has to do with something that is rotating...so wheels or drive shaft or something like that... but I might be wrong. The sound is present even if I disengage the clutch. It's there even when I'm slowing down and then when I'm really slow it disappears.

When I was driving near walls I could hear the sound and I have also heard some metal rattling. Later I have seen that one of the sway bar links was loose so I have replaced both links but unfortunately that didn't fix the problem.

So did anyone have a similar issue or could give me some idea what the problem could be?

thanks

t.

·
Registered
nissan
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the replay. I still haven't figured it out. It seems to be happening mostly when everything is called. Once I drive for some time it happens less and less until I can't reproduce it. Maybe some metal expanding hmm. what worries me is that clicking noise that sounds like a loose nut or something.

·
Premium Member
nissan
5,279 Posts
Have you checked for movement in your front bearings. Jack the wheel off the ground and see if you can move it side to side. There should be no movement.

Just somewhere to start troubleshooting.

Cheers

·
Registered
nissan patrol
2,149 Posts
Has it got Auto hubs?

If so ether put them into LOCK mode and try it, or take them off and go for a drive.

I doubt its a bearing, they are usually dead or not, not intermittent.

When it happens clutch in and rev it, Then you can tell us if it is Engine or drive-line

Otherwise between lack of info and your description it could be anything from Not enough Power steering fluid to Wheels hitting your Gaurds

2 less likely ones could be rear tail shaft hitting first cross member, But again this one happens on bumps but only lasts seconds.
the other one is if its a H260 they pinion flange can hit the sub tank

·
Registered
nissan
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi guys,

thanks for the info.

I've got manual locks. First thing was just to make sure that it was not the engine. When the vibrations start I have tried straight away to clutch in just to make sure that it's not the engine. It seems that it's the actual movement and it feels like it has to do with something that is rotating. Usually it starts around 50-60km/h when I hit a little bump or something on the road. Then it's just there until I get the car to almost a halt, maybe 10-15km/h. Sometimes when it's there it settles itself after some time. I can usually tell just 1 second before because of some sound or something which is probably subconscious.

I was driving the car today and it seems that the sound gets louder and loader with the time. Even the vibrations get bit stronger but nothing extreme.

As I am writing this, something came into my mind. Few months back someone stole 5 out of 6 bolts holding the hubs with the manual locks. I didn't notice but luckily it was on the day when I was doing the rego and the mechanic noticed it. So I was driving the car for about a 1km with only one loose bolt holding the hub and maybe that's what actually started this whole ****. So maybe I should double check the front bearings. I have checked for the movement already but something might have gone broken in there, maybe one of the balls or something and that's why I'm getting the rattling sound....

Thanks for the info. I will check all the things that you guys mentioned... .first I will have to look it up though... I am still just a novice.

t.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts