Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

bump steer fix

7K views 20 replies 9 participants last post by  bruteutes308 
#1 ·
hello all I no this have been looked at before but does the single drag link mod like the gq,s really inprove the bump steer in the mk,s . I got a shorty on 2 inch lift and 33,s and 70km and under is fine and driveable over that and on old roads the bump steer gets a bit crazy . will removing the swaybar help or 2 dampers any info would be great thanks

#2 ·
Removing sway bars won't help and 2 steering dampers will just dampen the effect.

Im not a leafy sorta bloke and im unfamiliar with the single drag link mod ( im guessing that the standard leafy steering has an idler arm? ), but you'll always have some bumpsteer in a leafy truck with a steering box, some setups might reduce it a bit or even eliminate it through a certain part of the suspensions cycle and if you can get it in the ''working range'' you might even end up with a nice ride and handling.

#4 ·
As coils said a single piece drag link will make it worse, to reduce bump steer you want the draglink as close to horizontal as possible.
At standard height, the Nissan setup does a very good job of reducing bump steer, mine's at standard height and its very rare that I encounter any noticeable bump steer.

I seem to remember someone (maybe Jelmer) doing a high steer conversion on his MK to bring the draglink back to a reasonable angle, he has a lot more than 2" lift though...

Steel: yes they do have an idler arm.

Reactions: bruteutes308
#6 ·
I believe Nissan actually put the idler arm in the steering to help eliminate any bump steer as well as simply make it drive better. I also believe it is not a very good design. Bushing wear out fairly easy, it gets sloppy, ect ect ect. When it is new or in top condition it does work fine but I am a fan of the tried and true single drag link set up.

I have done both the normal drag link conversion and the high steer. With a level drag link you should have no bump steer at all. If you do, it is likely because of worn out parts.

I did a "Y-link" conversion on my Land Cruiser. It is a GM set up and has 1-ton tres. Perhaps look into that although with your rules in Aus. not sure how much you can do to it.

Cheers

#9 ·
bump steer being exactly that . Hit a bump and the wheels dart left or right, Your steering wheel moves a lot or can be jerked from your hand if you hit a big enough bump . You find your self chasing the car up the road, smooth rd the car will drive perfect

Or there's the death shakes, regardless of road surface , In which the steering violently moves left to right you are unable to hold on to the steering wheel and forces you to stop.

#11 ·
When i did a SOA on my MK it had massive bump steer! Also, the tierod turned when steering because the draglink came in from above instead of from the side as with stock hight.
I went with a high steer setup and never looked back. I could do 120km/h, not tough the steering wheel and it went perfectly straight!

Reactions: bruteutes308
#12 ·
Ya Y-link is not going to help with bump steer. Cruiser is coil sprung so it works well since it is on the same plane as the panhard.

Cheers

#15 ·
hello all again thanks for all the replys. it an,t the wobbles everthing is new and I no what u mean by wobbles seen it in another one a mate had . so a high steer set up sounds link the fix will have to look in that more now. does anyone no what length spaces I should be using on the sway bar link ends with a 2inch lift ?
thank you

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.