Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

21 - 40 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
9,233 Posts
They seem to have some influence to do exactly the opposite and stop fuel reduction burns, at least in Qld national parks..
yes I suppose it depends a lot on each states legislation and management of that depends on politics unfortunately rather than common sense. States like NT where regular burning has always bee accepted as part of the normal regime are pretty different to southern states that enjoy wet lush forest for part of the year then that turns to being massive piles of dry kindling waiting for a spark or match for the other dry half of the year.

·
Registered
9,233 Posts
I posted earlier about a long term study in the US re stopping fires from getting into the treetops, that is critical, embers under these circumstances can travel up to 30k so I am informed. Sure the climate is changing and it has been changing for millennia so things will quite likely get much worse in some areas and maybe better in others. We have housing estates around here that are Islands in dense bushland, one in particular has been hit hard because of arson (remember 6% of fires are naturally caused), if these areas are not managed then housing estates like this are always in the 'line of fire' and a potential 'Black Saturday', read an article on suburbs springing up Sydney outer suburbs and how this could be a disaster waiting to happen.

I've had one major experience with a bush fire as a teenager, I was hunting rabbits with a mate along a powerline near the Watagan's, we could see a fire approaching a lone house, on going to the house there was a woman with a couple of young children. Cut a long story short we stopped the fire at the fence line with wet hessian sacks and tank water after a long and arduous struggle, I remember being burned on the back from embers, as you would think this stuck with me, I do a lot of back road trips and look at homes in various areas and wonder how the hell they would survive a bushfire.
Wanting to live in the forest has its drawbacks. Like you I am horrified when I go through some areas and see just how fire-prone they are. NZ particularly in the North Island and Auckland's expensive suburbs that have spread out into the bush are just scary. They seem green and lush in winter but if they experience a hot dry summer like has hit NSW, Qld, Vic now then there is a disaster waiting.

·
Administrator
GUII ZD30DI Wgn
43,842 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Wind direction change here today, gusty, up to 50k from NW. One can only hope we have seen the worst, stay safe peoples.

·
Registered
Y61 GUIV 08CRD Wag ST
670 Posts
Here in Sth ranges of NSW, again declared a total fire ban today, wind changed from W-NW (55kph) to SW-W and dropping down to 45kph. We have been spared to date but been on stand-by(active member).
Problem is the lack of water availability and seasons only started _ Call the cause of it what you like, but for us rural and that get an average rainfall of around 600mm annually and have been missing out. Have seen a continual decline of rain events over the last 20-30yrs, For the last 7 yrs our main dam (6 Megs) has not filled and it is on a creek and near no moisture in the ground_Recent photo(evaporation will finish it off)_typical site throughout. Wallaby grazing up the back RHS of first island"was"(look hard).

The future is of serious concern with the lack of water available (a basic fire fighting necessity).
Dam Low_Nov19.jpg

·
Premium Member
Patrol Hybrid.
11,618 Posts
We have smoke in the sky now, the northerlies have blown it down from the Rocky fires.

·
Administrator
GUII ZD30DI Wgn
43,842 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Just heard it is at the first cutting for Teewah on Noosa North Shore. Wind not as gusty as it was at 0700 this morning.

·
Registered
nissan
6,156 Posts
They seem to have some influence to do exactly the opposite and stop fuel reduction burns, at least in Qld national parks..
I've been doing some reading .. it isn't just Qld where greenies have resisted fuel reduction burns. I found this statement while revisiting some of this country's most damaging fires.

After the Canberra and Victorian fires, the forest industry said state governments were being held hostage by conservationists resisting hazard reduction burns.

·
Administrator
GUII ZD30DI Wgn
43,842 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
I've been doing some reading .. it isn't just Qld where greenies have resisted fuel reduction burns. I found this statement while revisiting some of this country's most damaging fires.

After the Canberra and Victorian fires, the forest industry said state governments were being held hostage by conservationists resisting hazard reduction burns.
I came across an article from around 2009 which said very similar, with quotes from casesa university professor who had done studies on historical Aboriginal burnoffs, in some cases comparing bushland of today with 1788 observations and landscape paintings in areas where direct comparison can be made, very interesting.

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
I came across an article from around 2009 which said very similar, with quotes from casesa university professor who had done studies on historical Aboriginal burnoffs, in some cases comparing bushland of today with 1788 observations and landscape paintings in areas where direct comparison can be made, very interesting.
I have researched this quite a bit. Many descriptions in the early 1800s quoted that bushland was actually like parkland with large areas of grass. One of my ancestors was among the first to be in east Gippsland and he described it like that. It was the result of aboriginal land management which they were very good and experienced at.

·
Administrator
GUII ZD30DI Wgn
43,842 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
I have researched this quite a bit. Many descriptions in the early 1800s quoted that bushland was actually like parkland with large areas of grass. One of my ancestors was among the first to be in east Gippsland and he described it like that. It was the result of aboriginal land management which they were very good and experienced at.
Yes, that is what this report said. As someone who has worked extensively in PNG and right from my first trip in mid 80's you would come across rolling green hills with no trees in amongst forrest and this always fascinated me as to how it happened when you know cultivation was not the cause. Maybe similar history in some parts.

·
Registered
9,233 Posts
What the hell is this, we have heard the politicians making some horrible statements about each other and about management of fire and climate change etc but then this hits a new low mark for timing of making poorly thought out statements that even the Greens are distancing themselves from. I am strongly opposed to domestic violence but this is just so hard to take the statements being put out here.

·
Registered
687 Posts
I saw an article about doing controlled burns in the NT. It was done by helicopter and the bloke had a bag full of balls about the size of a golf ball but soft like a marshmallow. He had a syringe of catalyst that he would give a ball a jab with and throw it out the door. After about 20 seconds it would start to smoke and about another 20 seconds later it would burst into flame. He said there was a machine available that would spray the balls and drop them automatically but he saw no benefit in it and felt the control was not as good as doing it manually.

Edit; found a clip of the machine being used.
Victorian forest commission then department of constant name review (real name department of conservation and natural resources). Were one of the major developers in the tech for aerial lighting.
Vic used to use a chopper regularly with a hopper underneath. To drop incendiary devices. Very similar in size to a table tennis ball.
They have only lost one hopper due to screw up in 30yrs.

They also developed a system to fire them out of an air cannon on the back of a Ute. A crew member used to walk beside the Ute and fire them 30ish metres into the scrub.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
Patrol Hybrid.
11,618 Posts
Haaaaaaa, she is a very angry person. It was an old report/study that she has extrapolated to suit her agenda.

·
Registered
687 Posts
yes I suppose it depends a lot on each states legislation and management of that depends on politics unfortunately rather than common sense. States like NT where regular burning has always bee accepted as part of the normal regime are pretty different to southern states that enjoy wet lush forest for part of the year then that turns to being massive piles of dry kindling waiting for a spark or match for the other dry half of the year.
The other thing with the NT and WA (I’m sure a local will correct me). Looking at the weather maps. I would expect a majority of the smoke from any burn would not go anywhere near 90% of the states population.
So if 90% aren’t effected. Then no one will voice a loud enough complaint. So they get to burn.

I know in Vic. No one wants a massive fire in there back yard. But they also sook and whine when a burn off is started. Anywhere near them.
A recent burn that shut down the operating rooms at the local hospital was an exception.
For those that follow some local regional have your say facebook pages will see what I mean.

I have a good mate that plans burns for Forest Fire Managment Victoria. They got **** canned for not meeting there burn requirements. So the following year they where forced to reduce there burn quota.

·
Registered
687 Posts
What the hell is this, we have heard the politicians making some horrible statements about each other and about management of fire and climate change etc but then this hits a new low mark for timing of making poorly thought out statements that even the Greens are distancing themselves from. I am strongly opposed to domestic violence but this is just so hard to take the statements being put out here.

Yer that silly cow made some stupid statements.
But if you look passed her dumbarse comments. And refer back to the study she referred to correctly.
There was an increase of domestic violence in Victoria around the fire zones. And those areas effected by thick smoke.

But what are the factors that caused the increase. That effected everyone in the community.
For starters. The study referenced a periods of extreme hot weather that had multiple night time temperatures in the high 30’s. Offering no respite.
That alone is a massive cause of an increase in DV. As lack of sleep and the avg temperature increases our fatigue levels.

Then with heat we as a community drink more alcohol. Backed up with little water intake. We have another major factor in DV.

Starting to see a picture. Even if we didn’t have the most destructive fire in Victorian history. DV would have had a spike.
Another cause. Have a look how many businesses where shut due to heat. Barely a tradie during that time was at work.
This is a similar issue to a family being home with each other for a weekend. Go speak to any copper. DV is higher on a Sunday than any other time of the week.

But the greens didn’t help there cause as most Australians went straight on the attack that they are bunch of numptys (facebook evidence). And she has not helped her cause as she just alienated half the population.

·
Registered
9,233 Posts
The other thing with the NT and WA (I’m sure a local will correct me). Looking at the weather maps. I would expect a majority of the smoke from any burn would not go anywhere near 90% of the states population.
So if 90% aren’t effected. Then no one will voice a loud enough complaint. So they get to burn.
In WA majority of the time that is true but there are a lot of days in August- September where south easterlies are covering the city in burn-off smoke. Dammed if they do and dammed if they don't get the required amount of fire reduction burns completed in time. Then like this year there are some unseasonally hot dry periods early and the fire season is declared early so it stops the fuel reduction burns and including on private property where owners in fire prone areas are trying to clear fire breaks and burn off excess fuel.

Friend of mine had just got ready to bonfire a huge pile from about 25 trailer loads of material picked up around the perimeter of his block then they stopped him from burning it because the season was declared early. Now it just sitting there in a big pile getting drier and waiting.

·
Registered
687 Posts
In WA majority of the time that is true but there are a lot of days in August- September where south easterlies are covering the city in burn-off smoke. Dammed if they do and dammed if they don't get the required amount of fire reduction burns completed in time. Then like this year there are some unseasonally hot dry periods early and the fire season is declared early so it stops the fuel reduction burns and including on private property where owners in fire prone areas are trying to clear fire breaks and burn off excess fuel.

Friend of mine had just got ready to bonfire a huge pile from about 25 trailer loads of material picked up around the perimeter of his block then they stopped him from burning it because the season was declared early. Now it just sitting there in a big pile getting drier and waiting.
Oh that’s going to be a beauty by Easter.

In Vic the signs where there that it was going to be called early. But the conditions suxed for burning. So a number of FFMV (Forest Fire Management Vic) burns got canceled due to conditions couldn’t be met. Either winds were stupidly high. Or it was raining.
Also the curing changed rapidly within a week. With high winds and low humidity.

·
Administrator
GUII ZD30DI Wgn
43,842 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
One can only assume Queensland is not the only State where this happens.

"In the two years to the end of 2018, 136 children were charged with endangering property in Queensland by lighting fires — just 18 were convicted".

10 Children Allegedly Start Recent QLD Busfires

·
Registered
CRD Wagon
738 Posts

I know in Vic. No one wants a massive fire in there back yard. But they also sook and whine when a burn off is started. Anywhere near them.
A recent burn that shut down the operating rooms at the local hospital was an exception.
For those that follow some local regional have your say facebook pages will see what I mean.

I have a good mate that plans burns for Forest Fire Managment Victoria. They got **** canned for not meeting there burn requirements. So the following year they where forced to reduce there burn quota.

Late response to this thread I guess. A lot of burning does take place quite close to town. Yes, sooking about smoke, ash and smell occasionally occurs. I've been lucky enough to be involved with a couple of burnoffs on properties now. It gives you huge respect for fire.

The breaks that are required to law up here now look too small to me... apparently they are more lax in NSW and VIC????

I saw a post on social media from one of our members saying "dont blame the greenies, blame people who build too close to the bush and not enough resources for the firefighters"

I personally think people should be able to live in the bush but we need to be realistic about fire beaks, firefighting equipment and fuel management. The firefighters already have their hands full so I agree more needs to be done. Here the onus is on the landowner to some extent. I see the same people not looking after their stuff year on year, ignoring recommendations from the local firies.

When it inevitably catches fire each year the firies still give up their time and risk themselves to put it out. Even when the same ignoramus builds walls out of old tyres and doesnt even have a jinker trailer or do any slashing...

21 - 40 of 47 Posts