Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

Registered
nissan patrol mk
very nice writeup mate!!! :) you might want to add, that if all of the things are good, the car is not an MQ or MK ;-) hahaha

Registered
"The turbo diesels are prone to exhaust manifold leaks, presumably due to the weight of the turbo on the manifold. A leak will sound like a soft ticking noise, and you can often feel the exhaust escaping (and sometimes see 'burnt' areas on the head)."

The stock turbo is fully supported by a bracket that bolts to the block.
The problem is heat and warped manifolds.

Might want to add in there to always use a genuine exhaust manifold gasket at a cost of around $75-$90.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The problem is heat and warped manifolds.
the problem is definitely warped manifolds lol :punkrock: i was trying to point out what causes the warping. heat is definitely a factor causing the warping, and all cars warp over time. the sd33t seems to warp more often than the other engines though, even sd33 i havent really heard of. thats why i thought its probably the turbo. i havent seen the factory turbo setup so dont know for sure, ill tweak that section anyway.

Registered
nissan mk
Well done nerok, I would had a bit on front end check (wheel bearing and swivel hub inspection)
Otherwise should get people pointed in the right direction.
I notice too many people think that diesel/petrol 4/5 speed interchange is trivial, it ain't that's why I waited a lot longer to to buy my sd33t 5 speed.

Registered
Steering death wobble

I would also put a comment to test drive the at 80 Km or higher to check for death wobbles ( king bearings, wheel bearings etc)

The Prodigal Child Has Returned
nissan
Steering death wobble

I would also put a comment to test drive the at 80 Km or higher to check for death wobbles ( king bearings, wheel bearings etc)
not from 80. I've had it from 30 all the way through to 90 just depends on a factor of things

good work nerok looks the goods

Registered
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i did contemplate putting something in about the wheel bearings, but who takes a jack with them to buy a car lol. ill try squeeze a little something in i think.

Registered
nissan
You can test 'em if the car is on the ground, just try rocking the top of the tyre and you'll be able to feel some looseness. The side to side test isn't so easy that way though, but if the kingpin bearings need attention then it's cheap enough to do the others in the same hit.

Awesome guide anyway, the wiki is really coming along well.

KICKEN BACK IN THE BUSH
nissan gq
Good work,great little write up for a newbie
Just another pointer for ya
Tyres,
IF oldish there could be issues
Unbalance,death wobbles ect
Due to tyre seperation
Something to look for
Then IF the tyres have fine sidewalls cracks,theyll need replacing also

1 - 11 of 11 Posts