1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
nissan patrol
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys

I found this forum just by random googling so hopefully you can help me

I am looking at purchasing a 2010 Patrol 3.0 TD and this is will be my first 4wd however I keep coming across these articles online about how bad this engine is and its got me a tad worried - Something about calling the 3.0 TD a Grenade, is a little unsettling.

The of the new car use will be 6 days a week the wife driving the kids around to school,kinder and shopping. Basically Mums Taxi

On the 7th day I plan on using it to play. Nothing major, but a few off road tracks here and there and some remote camping with a few other 4x4's when the weather gets a bit warmer. Also the occasional towing of a trailer, nothing huge, nothing bigger than a 7x4 cage trailer. We are also planning a decent family holiday in the next few months to see some of australia, so we really wanted something with some size

Is there anything to really be worried about here

The other thing, is how much can i haggle down on these things when buying off the showroom floor. I figure its a 2010 model, with a new one coming, so there should be a few decent discounts shouldn't there.

Thanks Guys

·
Part of the furniture around here
nissan
19,131 Posts
Nothing to worry about with the Patrol. The problems that you hear about are pretty much things that affected the very first models, the CRD has proven to be a completely different vehicle and very reliable. If a 4.2 diesel owner pipes in and says otherwise, just ignore them.

On the issue of best price, while Nissan Patrol sales have been up (as I posted in another thread), they are still well below Toyota and I think Mitsubishi, so you have some advantage in the haggling stakes. First off, don't be overly keen and let the dealer know that you're also considering other brands, as this is your first 4WD and you're looking for best value for money.

Also, don't ask for accessories when haggling over the price of the base vehicle, ask for those after you've been given a price that you're reasonably happy with. The dealers are able to throw in things like the bull bar, tow bar and driving lights (if not already advertised in the package), tinting, carpet mats and five year factory warranty from a completely different account and is what they use to clinch a deal.

You'll never screw a car salesman, but if you can walk away feeling that you've done OK, then that's always a win.

Cheers

Ray

·
Registered
nissan patrol
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Ray, you have put my mind at ease... I do suppose that if anything is going to go wrong it will go wrong in the first few years anyway.. with 3 years to work that out, it all should be great

Should be fun going down to negotiate on my first brand new car ever.

Very Excited.

I have had a good look around on these forums and I must say I am a little bit jelous of some of your trucks. They look great. I have never been a fan of cars that are show ponyies and have always preferred vehicles that suit a purpose

·
Registered
nissan
684 Posts
Hit the dealer up for the extended Nissan warranty as part of the deal. That way you will be covered for six years or 150,000km.

·
Part of the furniture around here
nissan
19,131 Posts
Hit the dealer up for the extended Nissan warranty as part of the deal. That way you will be covered for six years or 150,000km.
It has to be the 'Extra Time, Extra Kilometres' extended warranty, which give you five years (two years extra) or 150,000km (50,000km extra), once the standard warranty finishes.

Cheers

Ray

·
Registered
nissan patrol
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Ray for the reassuring advice

Just signed for a 2010 CRD ST Wagon

Very Excited to be getting a brand new 4x4.

·
Registered
nissangupatrol
496 Posts
this is getting a little exciting...nothing like a mans first 4wd!!:driving:

i bet you would be doing a few of these...:iconbana:

but
:worthles:

really keen to see the beast!

all the best you wont look back now you own the only 4wd to have!

·
Registered
nissan patrol
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yea sure, pics are coming, just waiting on delivery, going to be a few weeks yet due to financing and getting a few extra options etc.

I'll post a pic as soon as I take delivery and another pic as soon as i get it dirty

·
Registered
nissangupatrol
496 Posts
so what did you end up getting with the patrol at the end of the day if you dont mind me asking?

·
Registered
Nissan
106 Posts
Hope you got a good deal. One of the techs who work for me just bought a new one in Melbourne and ended up with $10k off the price after a little "i think i'll get the prado" talk.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
No Problems

Allow Bullbar/Driving Lights - Free with the 2010 Runnouts
Bonnet Protectors / Tow Pack - Paid for this
Floor Mats, threw in to seal the deal right at the end

Very happy with the whole process.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hope you got a good deal. One of the techs who work for me just bought a new one in Melbourne and ended up with $10k off the price after a little "i think i'll get the prado" talk.
Yea i got about the same discount, for the Auto ST Standard Ticket Price, got about 10k off including those accessories

·
Registered
NISSAN
495 Posts
come on pic's please I'm excited toooooo

:driving: me to :bowdown: Welcome aboard! really rapped for you mate

BUT

:worthles:

·
Registered
nissan patrol
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
So after changing our mortgage provider and getting a bit extra out to purchase a new car.

4 weeks ago, we signed the paperwork for a 2010 3.0 CRD ST Patrol Runout.

Part of this deal was free driving lights and bullbar. When signing the contract i noticed that it wasn't on the contract, so i flagged it and they said its not on there because it was included on all 2010 cars automatically

1 week ago, all the paperwork for the mortgage gets sorted so we pay for the new car, i ask again about the driving lights and bullbar. Was told its in the system and don't worry about it.

I get a call yesterday telling me that the car is ready to pick up, I go down with my trade in ready to drive away in my brand new car. I walk into the showroom, notice the towbar, open the front door, notice the free car mats, walk around the front only to see that they haven't fitted my bullbar and driving lights

So i ask the sales guy, who ums and ahhs for a minute, goes back to his paperwork and then tells me that they forgot because it wasn't on the paperwork :angryfir:

Now i need to wait till Monday before I pick it up.... So tempted to go down there tomorrow morning and just tell him that i am taking it for the weekend to get it dirty and i'll drop it off Monday morning.

**** Car dealers give me the ****S

The picture of the new car without the extra's on it for those who are interested

Attachments

·
Registered
nissan
688 Posts
Awesome purchase mate. I have a 2009 st auto and love it. But can you try something for me, when you have it can you take it for a spin down the highway and tell me if the steering shakes at 100kmh or over? Thanks!

·
Registered
nissan patrol
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Will do. I have a good clear run of 110kmh between the dealer and home so I'll be able to take her up to speed

If she wobbles I'll be turning around and bringing it straight back.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Shouldn't have paid for it without a pre delivery check on the day of pickup , hope it gets sorted for you though
This is my first time buying a brand new car, so stupid me believed them when the told me that they wouldn't install any accessories on it until I paid the full amount.

I'll be ringing them at 9 am today to see if the car is going into the workshop this morning.

Funny thing is when I got home tonight after not picking up my car I received a Nissan customer survey in the mail.

I hope they really want to know what I thought of the whole new car buying experience from this particular dealership

·
Registered
nissan
688 Posts
Will do. I have a good clear run of 110kmh between the dealer and home so I'll be able to take her up to speed

If she wobbles I'll be turning around and bringing it straight back.
Cool, she should be right. Mine started at about 40,000kms and hasn't stopped. Nissan claim it's the tyres, they could be right but it's intermitent which lends me to think it is something else. I'm within the last 10,000km of replacing the tyres so we'll see what happens then. If its still the same I'll park it in their driveway and leave it there.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts