Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

Buying a 3Litre Patrol (ZD30DI or used CRD)

28K views 21 replies 14 participants last post by  Gold Seeking Patrol 
#1 · (Edited)
WIP
Due to ongoing questions on buying a 3L Patrol, the following is a general overview of buying a ZD30DI based on the experiences of actual owners, the DI is not to be confused with the 2007 on CRD model which really has none of the engine issue that the early ZD30DI did, like any "make" if it hasn't been looked after then the chances of failure are higher.

Buying a used ZD30DI can be tricky, the early DI was a lottery, despite what you will hear from some they didn't all blow up, quite a few did (including mine) but many more survived and are currently running 300,000k+ (there is a thread in the archives on longevity, see link below), one thing to remember is that there are far more 3L ZD30's on the road than any other GU model. I would not buy a 3L between the years of 2000 and 2003 without factoring in a rebuild or crate engine replacement (note we didn't buy these things for their power, mostly we bought them for their fuel economy, so if you want to put another bigger engine in then do so). Once you get into 2003 the engine and ECU are much improved and later models even better. I would go out and buy a clean 2004/5 tomorrow no worries. The second point with the early model manuals was a weak 5th gear that had a habit of failing, this was rectified on models made after June 2002, apart from that the complete transmission system is bullet proof, often used by other makes in competition. My own vehicle is a 2000 DI that I bought new and serviced regularly and didn't thrash, it grenaded at the end of 2006 with 155,000k on it (not all do as mentioned), at the end of a 1000k work trip home, I had done around 7 of these that year where I jumped in the car at 4am and drove quickly 1000k to the work site, stayed a week and drove back home the same way, the repetition, high speed, cruise, load and not having an EGT gauge were big contributing factors. My 5th gear has been on the way out for some time but 296,000k later it's still hanging in there (edit: 5th finally let go at 320,000k).

The engine was rebuilt and the search was on to make the old girl as reliable as I possibly could, 12 years down the track she is stronger than ever.

You will hear a lot about NADS, which was originally a light hearted acronym for Nissan Anti Detonation System, the steps we took to prevent a blowup/grenade. Particularly for older ZD30’s, don’t for one moment think that fitting NADS will save your early ZD30 from cracking heads and melting pistons, if the base damage has already occurred, prolong it, yes, prevent it, no. The reasons a grenade happens are quite complicated and a vehicle can sit on the threshold of blowing up for very long periods of time and then one day the combination is right and it goes, but, rest assured for every ZD30 that blows up there are a myriad of it's Sisters that didn't, you only hear about the bad ones not the good ones, as said the reasons can be complicated. The base NADS I would do for a DI (or any diesel I bought for that matter) is a boost gauge and an Exhaust Gas Temperature (EGT) gauge, it's amazing the info about your engine you can glean from these gauges.

NOTE: We occasionally hear of repeat engine blowups, most of the time this is a direct result of skimping on the head in the rebuild following the original blowup, if you are going to rebuild, do not short change on the head, do it properly or it will come back to bite you later and you won't enjoy the years of trouble free motoring you should have.

The cooling system is beyond reproach, usually running between 84c and 90c, but like any modern system if it is not maintained there will be problems, it does not take rocket science or a lot of work to maintain them, good quality coolant and demineralised water changed occasionally (correct procedure is in the archives under maintenance) and there will be no problems. Mine runs normally between 84c and 87c and has just gone past 400,000k and coolant has been changed 4 times.

Also I would recommend having a read of this: NADS. So you have a ZD30 DI, here's "NADS" steps and logic with diagrams these are my recommendations based on my experiences, there are various options, but as said above there is a base I would do. Other useful information on maintenance and modifications are filed in here: ZD30DI TECHNICAL ARCHIVES FOR NEW AND OLD MEMBERS: Data/Mods/Maint/Gen Info.

Hope this helps prospective buyers. Further questions can be answered by posting in this subsection ZD30 DI Engine 3 Litre - Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum

See less See more
#4 ·
hey there im currently being offered a 2003 nissan patrol 3L. with only 87k in the odo. i was only told about how the turbo could break easily but nothing about how the engine could blow up.

in your opinion should i still get it? even tho i dont know a lot about how car works or parts about it.

#8 ·
As I said earlier in the statement the CRD is fine, if it looks like it has been looked after (not just a good detail job) and it has service history, then it is just as good of a buy as any other vehicle of the same vintage, the only issue they had was a recall on some VIN's for a TPS issue, everything else is fine.

#9 ·
was just pointed to this thread. Interesting read.

do you know what changed at the end of 03 to make the later di engines more failsafe? and are they as prone to slow damage resulting in a later failure.

and i guess if nothing is wrong and you throw a egt, boost gauge and then a dawes and needle valve on it. its about as reliable as any other vehicle on the market.

Do the later ones suffer the random vp44 failures the earlier ones also had a tendency of doing???

#10 ·
As the article indicates it can get complicated but.

1. There were changes to the block and to the pistons among other things, also changes to ECU programme.
2. Absolutely, that is what I say in the article, if nothing is wrong when you do the mods then it will continue to run OK, many years ago I would introduce myself and chat to random people I saw driving ealy DI's and I have met people with big k's on them and they had no idea of nads or the need so I didn't complicate their lives any further, as said it was all about how it was driven and miantained.
3. Not aware of any significant failures of the early DI VP44 over later ones, mine has 365,000k and still going, ICV% dropped a bit years ago still drives fine.

#11 ·
Do all Td42ti have the better manual gearbox then according to year model they came out?

#12 ·
Do you mean the 5th gear issue? If so as said after june 2002 5th gear was fixed, splines were improved.

#14 ·
I thought it came out in the GU in 1999, but I'm not sure, someone will tell me if I'm wrong.

#17 · (Edited)
Good thread. Am I right in thinking the change over from the 2000-2003 models can be found by the dual oil sensors on the engine, as well as the larger oil capacity in the handbook? I read somewhere that 2000-2002 ones stated they only needed like 7L of oil and had a shorter dipstick.

I have a 2003 DI and was totally unaware of the grenade idea until I'd bought one. Just trying to reassure myself it's one of the changeover models. Purchased with 115,000 miles on the clock, full service history and loads of receipts. Now on 137,000 miles and going strong.

As a side note, I had met an older bloke outside a machine shop who said he had a 3L from new and went through 3 engines in under 60,000 miles all covered under warranty.

Cheers

#18 ·
Good thread. Am I right in thinking the change over from the 2000-2003 models can be found by the dual oil sensors on the engine, as well as the larger oil capacity in the handbook? I read somewhere that 2000-2002 ones stated they only needed like 7L of oil and had a shorter dipstick.

I have a 2003 DI and was totally unaware of the grenade idea until I'd bought one. Just trying to reassure myself it's one of the changeover models. Purchased with 115,000 miles on the clock, full service history and loads of receipts. Now on 137,000 miles and going strong.

As a side note, I had met an older bloke outside a machine shop who said he had a 3L from new and went through 3 engines in under 60,000 miles all covered under warranty.

Cheers
There were some changes in mid 2002 but from memory the 2003 got improved oil squirters, when mine grenaded and was rebuilt in 2006 it got a post 2003 block for that reason. The ECU underwent changes in the years ahead as well. Funny you mention the old guy, when I was doing my research on the grenade issue I spoke to many ZD30DI owners without speaking of the issue, I bumped into an old guy at a market place, he had his very early DI behind his stall, at that time it had 300,000K on it and not had an issue, this exemplifies that no matter how well it is serviced it is how it is driven that is the governing factor, shopping trolleys don't grenade.

#21 ·
When accelerating in 5th gear my egts sometimes hit 600 depending on how much revs I give it, heard a lot about people saying they rarely exceed 400. Don’t know if they are full of **** or not
CRDs run hotter than DIs. 600°C is OK for a CRD. Mine can easily get up to 650°C.
Also depends a lot on the location of the EGT probe.
Has been discussed ad nauseum.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.