Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
Nissan patrol
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First an intro

The names Brendan im a fitter and turner i cut gears for a living on the gold coast
im new to 4wd drives and have been hunting around the manufacturers for a 4wd
I have consided a dual cab utes navara/hilux but i need 7 seats

Im on the hunt for a 4.5 petrol patrol as i can not afford the extra 10 to 15 grand for a 4.2td

It will be my first patrol it will be used as a daily driver keeping the ks off my sport bike and a support vehicle for my 60% finished subaru powered vw beach buggy as well as towing it to stockton once a year it weighs about 800kg

the usual fraser/moreton trips and hitting the bush on the weekends

and am wandering if there is any year better than another 1998 to 2001 is there any quirks i should know about

it will be on gas
the Ti have lockers right but are they lsd as well?

just wandering on a couple of easy mods

Ive seen people asking about bigger exhaust on the forum but none mention high flow cats that i found
Do they respond well to high flow cats/ k&n filters?
Do snorkles make a differnce on them?

this might be a bit old school can you get flex fans for them?

Im pretty much wandering whats easy mods make a difference to them without pulling the motor down

Has any one done head work to them eg 3 angle valve grind raising the compression a little nothing too drastic ?

Feed back would much be appreciated

·
Registered
nissan
357 Posts
Gday, There is a few good posts on what to look for under "TB45".
The autos can be expensive to reco, when they do fail with higher kays or abuse.
Viscous fans are fine, the blades are cheap off ebay to replace and my vicous centre is still fine at 250k.

They are good value bus, not much to be gained from head work, just live with the pace. Even one with headers and exhaust is not much better than standard.

Heaps of good info on here and they are damm good value buying at the moment.

·
Registered
Nissan patrol
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cheers for the reply Brunsy STD they have 135 litre petrol tanks right 40 litre and a 95
Not 100% sure just seen around has your LPG tank replaced one of the
Tanks?

·
Registered
nissan
446 Posts
The gas tank replaces the rear tank which is 90lt from memory. You can replace the sub tank with a 70lt tank. As for the locker pretty sure once any kind of locker is fitted it becomes an open diff unless you have it locked in. As for the exhaust there is little gain and no need to place the cat only headers and pipe. Taipan Exhausts tried it with oe cat and high flow and got the same result on dyno. NISSAN 4.5L Patrol Wagon (Petrol) - Performance that Bites
As for more power best option would probably be low boost turbo. Have a look at this thread on fitting a turbo. http://www.patrol4x4.com/forum/niss...5l-petrol-gu-intercooled-turbo-upgrade-61304/

1 - 4 of 4 Posts