1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
Nissan
2,992 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,
Looking for some advice:
Im buying a ute, definitely a GU, have around 20-25k to spend. I can get either a TD42t with kms ranging from 150 000 (rare) to 400 000 (screw that) or else i can get a later model CRD 3.0 with under 100 000kms. What are people's thoughts on these two options?

Personally i have always been a 4.2 man but you never know until you ask

Cheers
Mav

·
Registered
nissan
2,406 Posts
Vote 1 for the 42, but there are a ton of versus threads on here already where you can read both sides of the debate.

·
Registered
nissan
60 Posts
Hi Mav,
I saw a TD4.2 ST cab chassis for sale in a dealers caryard in NW Vic about 6 weeks ago which was already well set up and equipped including a great canopy on the back. A very clean unit and from memory about !30,000kms . . . they only wanted $29,900 for it . . . very good buying.
Point is, that despite what you hear, there are still some good 4.2TD deals out there . . . worth taking the time and having a good look around.
Regards :)

·
Registered
nissan gu
355 Posts
Decide what you want to spend the year range and the max km’s you want, how long you plan to keep it for and the K’s you are likely to put on it.
I wouldn’t buy something just cause it’s got a 4.2TD in it you have too look at the whole package.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
1,397 Posts
Another for 4.2. A 4.2 with 400 will probably still outlast a 3.0 with 100 :p

·
Registered
nissan
2,406 Posts
Actually there is one that lives just near me that looks quite neat and I noticed the other day that he has got a for sale sign in the back window. He has had it for years. Happy to find out how much and how many k's it's got on it for you. I'm in Sydney.

·
Registered
Nissan Patrol
33 Posts
There are benefits on both sides. I have a 2000 4.2 with 540,000 on the clock and a 2008 3.0 with 190,000.

The 4.2 wins hands down off road. Torque off the line and little turbo lag. The 3.0 suffers from turbo lag badly, the motor really relies on the turbo for anything resembling power.

However, once it gets moving and has some boost, the 3.0 drives better on road and handles far better than the 4.2 with its old steering box and more wear and tear.

Am using the 3.0 for work daily, but the 4.2 comes out for the weekend play in the bush. I doubt that the 3.0 will still be going once it passes half a million k's though.

Swapped between the two last week and the old girl feels agricultural, while the new car feels far more modern. Having said that, would take the 4.2 touring around the country in a heartbeat and put up with the rough around the edges feel.

·
Registered
Nissan
2,992 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Actually there is one that lives just near me that looks quite neat and I noticed the other day that he has got a for sale sign in the back window. He has had it for years. Happy to find out how much and how many k's it's got on it for you. I'm in Sydney.
I'm still waiting to get some cash through so i don't want to give anybody the run around just yet - i may take you up on the offer once i have the cash

·
Registered
Nissan
2,992 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
hadn't even looked at gumtree, heaps more on there than carsales in my area!!!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts