Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
I'm looking at being a rooftop tent for my gu and just have a few questions.
I currently have a cage type roof rack which I will have to get rid of, but I have an arb awning on one side and a shovel and fishing rod tube on the other, has anyone managed to mount these types of things with their roof top tent???
Also I am tossing up between an arb tent, tigerz11 and the bushranger open sky tent.
Any reviews or comments on these tents/setups would be a bit help,,,

·
Registered
3,616 Posts
I had a cage type roof rack prior to getting the roof top tent. I just cut the rack down to accomodate the tent, so saved a heap there.
I have an awning mounted on 1 side and a rod tube on the other, you may just have to get creative with the brackets but pretty easily done.

The roof top is probably the best mod I have done and suits our style of camping/ touring perfectly but may not suit others.

Search Ebay for your tent you WILL get better prices than dealers.

·
I SUNK 1
Nissan Patrol ST GQ30
960 Posts
I have mine on alloy tradie racks, tent mounted for rear entry to bars running width ways, then I have the 'L' bars running down the sides all the way to the back of the tent. I have a pvc shower setup on one side and will mount hi-lift jack and shovel to the other side soon. With this setup I can remove whole rack or just tent in just a few minutes.
Although my tent is a second hand, blue canvas probably made in the 80's it really does the job and is easy to set up comfortable and convenient.
So a positive recommendation here.
Good luck

·
Registered
3,955 Posts
I have a galaxy, love it. A litte bit heavy but having a whole room next to e the car is great.
no room for anything else on the roof.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I've got an Aussie Traveller Deluxe that was absolutely brilliant .... until the kids arrived. It's been well used, but still in perfect condition. As I no longer use it (not enough room with the kids) I am willing to sell it. It's so much more convenient than lugging a huge camper trailer around like I do now!

PM me if you are interested or would like to have a look at it. I'm in Ringwood, Vic.

I can't locate a photo of mine, but here is one from Aussie Traveller's website (ww.aussietraveller.com.au):

·
Registered
325 Posts
eBay ARB copy tent. $1050 delivered including the annex! Quality is great and it comes with everything! We've used it heaps including 2 weeks solid! We love it!!

·
Registered
81 Posts
westlat in ballarat have a good one. currently in it now writing this hehe. been touring wiith it for two weeks now and had some massive downpours while in it and it stayed dry. rooftop tent and annex all for $900

·
Registered
nissan
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Finally decided with the tigerz11 one, it appears the majority come from the same factory anyway and are all identical, ended up being $999 delivered to my door! Even if I only get a couple of years out of it I'll be happy.

·
Registered
nissan
68 Posts
I currently have my ARB Simpson III mounted on some Rhino Rack heavy duty bars that I got on ebay for $105. I had it on an ARB steel cage rack but it was too tall which made it harder to pack and unpack (especially with my 2" lift). I also needed a ladder extension because of the lift.

My wife as a passenger could notice the difference in body roll in the winding roads of the Adelaide hills when the tent was 4 inches lower.

I haven't got any really long trips planned for a while but when I do, I will get an ARB steel touring rack or a windcheetah low profile rack so it is mounted nice and low and I have space for a second spare in front of the tent.

I got some brackets to suite the Rhino racks that I can mount my awning on from a local roof rack place. I think they are Rhino brand.

Cheers

·
Registered
nissan
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hey Guys,
Got the Tigerz11 tent all mounted up on my new ARB tourer rack it all looks pretty sweet and inside there is heaps of room, was prety happy with all the stiching and zips - for the price i wasnt sure what i would end up with, the only thing that is bugging the S$#t out of me is the tent entrance where you climb up the ladder seems to have an entry hole zip then 2 side zips to attach to the rest of the tent, at the top there is about a 100mm gap that is showing and it looks like it is not meant to be covered so it would allow insects to get in through here?? has anyone got any pictures of theirs so that i can compare/see what is diferent?? the photos below should show exactly what i mean!
thanks.

Attachments

1 - 12 of 12 Posts