Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
Nissan Patrol
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I am looking at buying a 4.2 TD patrol as I am moving up to far north QLD and have spoken to many people who have said Patrol is the way to go.

I agree. As you all know they are rare and still fetching a fair penny! Looking at one with 277k's on it but looks in good nik.. No snorkel or lift but has a steel bar.

Is 277km's too many ? A set of injector is about $4oo change over and then a few $k for lift and snorkel.

Is $29k too much for this car ?

Any help would be appreciated. I thought I posted something earlier but I think I lost it. First time poster!

Also, this car isn't going to be a long term car. Just buying for 2 years of miniming before setteling in sunshine coast. Will need to do some 4WDriving courses so don't want anything too flash anyway.

Look forward to hearing back. Cheers, AndyT

·
Gone Fishing
NISSAN 1989 GQ PATROL
6,203 Posts
What year! My old mans asking 30 for his 2001 TD42T it only has 92.ooo K's on it. My 89 GQ has over 300 on it and is fine, uses no oil , no leaks havn't even done injectors in it from new, Both are serviced every 5.000 K's though, thats important.

·
Registered
Nissan Patrol
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
1999 model... ST..

Tanks jeffs5

·
Gone Fishing
NISSAN 1989 GQ PATROL
6,203 Posts
Dunno mate , ya see them form 25K_35K I think most important is a service history! Even seen them lifted, all the bling, bling etc. for around 35K but remember they may of had a hard life!

·
Registered
Nissan Patrol
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks mate. Yeah I think I would prefer to buy one stock than lifted etc with full service history!

·
Registered
Nissan
260 Posts
If it has been properly serviced the kays won't be an issue at all, but I think the asking price is a bit high for the age.

·
Registered
Nissan Patrol
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Chunks..

SHould I be looking to spend a little more - say around $38 - $40 for a sub 100kms 2004 or '05 fro NSW or QLD.? is it worth the extra given that the car is only going to be a 3-5 year car ?

Thanks again for your response!

·
Registered
nissan
455 Posts
I think its alittle high my mate bought a 99 st which had td 4.2t pwr gear under the bonnet, 35' km2's 4' tough dog lift everything underneath was adjustable, bull bar, spotties and has around the 190k mark for $25k so i think you could bargin him down if you front up with the cash.

·
The Bear
nissan
2,407 Posts
AndyT,
Shame you're in Victoria, Brand new current model 3.0 CRD in Bris Courier Mail Cars Guide paper for $43K drive away with tow bar, bull bar and lights. Rather pay that than 29K for a 12 yr old vehicle.

My 4.2's got 310K never had a spanner on it, 'cept for the fuel pump and injector rebuild, and the new shocks and 2" lift springs. Can't go wrong on a good 4.2 if the price is right, I paid 28K for my '99/'00 four years ago, and thought I got a bargain then.

Forgot, No you shouldn't be worried if its been treated Ok, just have a good look over it if its been flogged there'll be signs.

·
Registered
Nissan
255 Posts
AndyT,
Shame you're in Victoria, Brand new current model 3.0 CRD in Bris Courier Mail Cars Guide paper for $43K drive away with tow bar, bull bar and lights. Rather pay that than 29K for a 12 yr old vehicle.

My 4.2's got 310K never had a spanner on it, 'cept for the fuel pump and injector rebuild, and the new shocks and 2" lift springs. Can't go wrong on a good 4.2 if the price is right, I paid 28K for my '99/'00 four years ago, and thought I got a bargain then.

Forgot, No you shouldn't be worried if its been treated Ok, just have a good look over it if its been flogged there'll be signs.
Yeah saw that, $43,999 driveaway, but it was an "Outback edition," not an ST..had grey steelies and stuff, looked pretty much like a DX

·
The Bear
nissan
2,407 Posts
Doesn't matter, there not meant to be pretty, its the running gear that counts, I looked at all the other new fourbys in the paper too wouldn't touch any of them for the prices they're asking compared to the reliability and ruggedness and comfort of the "trol. Liked the Canter twincab 4x4 though in the back section, just what a retired old fart towing a van round auz needs.....89K, nah buy two 'trolls put one in a shed - silly thought, you'd never wear the first 'trol out, and then have to buy new tyres to replace the perished ones on the t'rol in storage, as well as pay a fortune to remove the glue from the sump cause the engine oil dried out.

·
Gone Fishing
NISSAN 1989 GQ PATROL
6,203 Posts
Doesn't matter, there not meant to be pretty, its the running gear that counts, I looked at all the other new fourbys in the paper too wouldn't touch any of them for the prices they're asking compared to the reliability and ruggedness and comfort of the "trol. Liked the Canter twincab 4x4 though in the back section, just what a retired old fart towing a van round auz needs.....89K, nah buy two 'trolls put one in a shed - silly thought, you'd never wear the first 'trol out, and then have to buy new tyres to replace the perished ones on the t'rol in storage, as well as pay a fortune to remove the glue from the sump cause the engine oil dried out.
Ya right its the running gear that counts! When the old boy boy bought his he had to wait 3 months for it to get here from japan cause they had to build one without the bling!!! He insisted split rims, Fixable out bush!, Manual locking hubs, Which i see alot want rather than auto ones, No electrics! Windows etc. Its just stuff that causes headaches down the track. I cant work out carpet and elec. windows putting another 4-5 thou on a second hand car from what ive been looking around at.:)

·
Registered
nissan
70 Posts
I bought my 99 ST 4.2 last year for $18000 with 310km on it. Had to fly to QLD from Vic and it took 5 months to find one under 20 grand( all my budget/ wife would allow ). Its not in prefect condition but mechanicly its great just scratch up a bit. You should be able to get a 99 model at around 25 grand without to much trouble. 29grand should get you a 2000 or 2001 model.

·
Registered
nissan
127 Posts
We bought a 2000 ST 4.2 with 240km on it for 22 grand last year. Had to bring it from Wollongong to Tassie.

One owner, service history, never been off road, never towed bla bla bla it really is in perfect condition. Im glad we got when we did, the price of them seems to be rising.

·
Registered
Nissan Patrol
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks everyone for their info and feedback. Genuinely appreciated.

Now just to buy one!

Thanks again... ENjoy your troll's all. Can't wait to get into one and start the project car.. Luck for me a have a couple $$ coming in a bonus too that I can spend on exhaust, lift and snorkel!

Cheers..

·
Registered
nissan
1,529 Posts
Mines got 220,000ks on the klicker. I bought it with 117,000.

Service history before I got it was bang on.
Obviously used for pulling a horse float previously.

Since I've had it - it gets oil changes every 5,000ks and other than that I've never had a spanner on it.
I recently had to finance against mine (2001 model) and the bank valued it at $32,000! (I only wanted to finance $10k) I have to admit I was supprised I thought they might value it at low - mid twenties if I was lucky.
Since then I've looked around and they were seemingly on the money.

That said 29k for a 99 model sounds a little on the rich side because I dont believe the 99 models were factory turbo?
At the end of the day its unlikely the value of the 4.2L patrols is going to drop any time soon. Even GQs with the TD42 engine fetch respectable money when you find them.

·
Registered
Nissan Patrol
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks Komdo.

·
Registered
nissan
447 Posts
I paid 23 k for mine. 1999 TD42t with 220000 on the clock and 15 k of accesories. Full service history and oil done every 6000 ks. It was from a mate so i got a good price. I wouldnt pay any more than 25 k for a stocker with that many ks!

·
Registered
nissan/patrol
64 Posts
Paid $20k for mine (1999 TD42T) in 2007, just clocked 264053km this arvo. suspension and tyres and bloody antenna are the only things needing replacement. My mechanic Andy from Diesel Tec thinks ive got a mechanically solid unit. Mine was stocker and have spent $9k on accessories since but i wouldnt be afraid of one which had even done a lot of touring work. Get andy to check it over before buying if an doubts, he's thorough

1 - 20 of 28 Posts