Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking at buying a Warn 9.5XP winch at the moment and noticing the difference in prices on ebay vs local (as to be expected I guess) although the postage is huge on the items from the states.

Has anyone got any tips of good places to look at to buy one, or any locals that are reasonably priced in Perth to look at?

·
Registered
nissan
251 Posts
Also is this secondhand one a reasonable price for one?

what would servicing cost to strip one down be worth?

Warn Winch 9.5XP | Other Parts & Accessories | Gumtree Australia Swan Area - Bullsbrook | 1051793950

Pull it down and service it yourself! It is already out of the vehicle, so nice and easy........ you will get a good understanding of how it all works, and make sure it is in top shape before fitting it up!

I have just pulled my winch out and am in the process of sorting it out......and have been surprised at how easy the things are to disassemble!

·
Registered
nissan
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Swabio, any ideas on costs to service one i.e basic seals and grease etc?

·
Registered
Nissan/GU
1,083 Posts
Swabio, any ideas on costs to service one i.e basic seals and grease etc?
Not much yourself, there is only a couple of gaskets which are probably no more than $20 and a tub of grease. Not hard to do. If you follow leethal's low mount rebuild thread you'll have a better winch too. I also installed rubber o-rings at the ends of he drum to aid in water tightness and painted the inside of the motor, while adding a better drain and breather line. It really doesn't cost much to do all that yourself, I'd say easily less than $100 all up. (and that's been generous, I'm a uni student and tight on the money)

·
Registered
nissan
341 Posts
unfortunately most retail shops have to buy through the same greedy supplier in OZ, huge mark up is from the middle man. Really nothing you can do about it. If you want to buy cheap you have to buy overseas

·
Registered
nissan
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Is ARB the Australian supplier?

But yea I kind of guessed that, It's a shame because they appear to be a good product.

On a slightly related note do ARB delux winch bars need anything extra to mount the winch or is it all there when you buy them?

I would jump under and have a look but I am on the otherside of the country at work at present.

·
Registered
9,585 Posts
Is ARB the Australian supplier?

But yea I kind of guessed that, It's a shame because they appear to be a good product.

On a slightly related note do ARB delux winch bars need anything extra to mount the winch or is it all there when you buy them?

I would jump under and have a look but I am on the otherside of the country at work at present.
I have the ARB delux winch bar and the winch bolts straight in with four bolts from the front into the face of the winch. The bottom two bolts align through the fairlead or hawse if you use rope.

Where in Perth are you? I am NOR. I would also go have a look at the Mako Avenger TDS 9.5 winch (I got mine from Perth4x4).
A lot, lot cheaper and as good or dare I say better quality and value than a Warn. It has seals on the drum and an Albright type sealed solenoid all for a fraction of the Warn price. The XP 9.5 probably has a slightly better motor but the Mako has a better brake system on the outer end of the gearbox so it does not suffer heat buildup in the drum or rust problems.

But that second hand one with all the extras, straps snatch-block and Dynema rope is good value if you could knock a little more off it would be a steal.

They are easy to service yourself. So if you are handy with this sort of thing go for it.

·
Registered
nissan
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have the ARB delux winch bar and the winch bolts straight in with four bolts from the front into the face of the winch. The bottom two bolts align through the fairlead or hawse if you use rope.

Where in Perth are you? I am NOR. I would also go have a look at the Mako Avenger TDS 9.5 winch (I got mine from Perth4x4).
A lot, lot cheaper and as good or dare I say better quality and value than a Warn. It has seals on the drum and an Albright type sealed solenoid all for a fraction of the Warn price. The XP 9.5 probably has a slightly better motor but the Mako has a better brake system on the outer end of the gearbox so it does not suffer heat buildup in the drum or rust problems.

But that second hand one with all the extras, straps snatch-block and Dynema rope is good value if you could knock a little more off it would be a steal.

They are easy to service yourself. So if you are handy with this sort of thing go for it.
Thanks for the info on the bar mate one less thing I need to try and work out without being able to look :)

Just had a look at the avenger winches they appear to be around the $1000 mark does this sound right?

I have been doing research on a few of the less well known brands (well to me at least) and it seems for every person that sings there praises there is another person who has had them give up on them prematurely.

As far as servicing goes the issue I have is I am rather handy with things like that being a sparky I have pulled down electric motors etc before but what I lack is workshop space and any of the right tools so would need to pay someone to do it.

I have been offered a new 9.5xp at quite a reasonable price by a member on here so may go with that

Yea mate I am NOR as well Mount Lawley

·
Registered
nissan
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
That one on gumtree is good value, comes with a few extras, been on there for a little while so might be able to knock em down a little.

I'm NOR too and happy to strip it down, freshen it up and put it all back together.
Yea righto well I might send the guy a message and see what I can get it down too,

Thanks for the offer Jamie I will flick you a PM

·
Registered
9,585 Posts
Yea righto well I might send the guy a message and see what I can get it down too,

Thanks for the offer Jamie I will flick you a PM

I also thought it was so good, I sent him an email and this is the resopnse.

"G’day Mate,
The winch is 4 years old. I have used it a bit during winter but very little summer use.I have never had my 4wd suck were the winch would be under water. It has being through water crossings and muddy conditions.I have pulled it apart every year since I’ve had it just to give the internal components a clean and new grease.
Cheers Chris"

I have a mate who wants one for the rear of his ute but I heard thismorning he has gone and got a cheap Chinese winch.
So I don't want to push the price up for you, if you want to talk him down a bit, just say I enquired on your behalf. Or let me know and I will reply that my mate has got one already.

·
Registered
nissan
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I also thought it was so good, I sent him an email and this is the resopnse.

"G’day Mate,
The winch is 4 years old. I have used it a bit during winter but very little summer use.I have never had my 4wd suck were the winch would be under water. It has being through water crossings and muddy conditions.I have pulled it apart every year since I’ve had it just to give the internal components a clean and new grease.
Cheers Chris"

I have a mate who wants one for the rear of his ute but I heard thismorning he has gone and got a cheap Chinese winch.
So I don't want to push the price up for you, if you want to talk him down a bit, just say I enquired on your behalf. Or let me know and I will reply that my mate has got one already.
Cheers mate, yea I emailed him also will go have a look when I am back on break tomorrow.
Got a trip down to Harvey planned for the weekend after next so would be good to get it in before then but will see how I go have a couple of options.

·
Registered
nissan
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Also I have had someone suggest the Zeon series of Warn winches to me as they are IP68,

does anyone know if these are any good? or whether they will fit and ARB bar as they look fairly chunky?

·
Registered
9,585 Posts
Also I have had someone suggest the Zeon series of Warn winches to me as they are IP68,

does anyone know if these are any good? or whether they will fit and ARB bar as they look fairly chunky?
Yes they look prety flash, obviously designed to be out the front and visible on a Jeep with an open type tube bar like the Yanks love. Nice if you could get it for a decent price with Dynema rope.

But I think they should still bolt to the same common Warn bolt patern as they would be stupid to produce something that will not fit into 99% of the bars on the market. The standard bolt holes in the ARB bars are still 10" or 254mm centre to centre to match all the Warn winches since year dot.

·
Registered
nissan
251 Posts

The measurements seemed fine on my standard nissan bar..... Although it was a tight squeeze........ with only a cm or so at either end of clearance......

Yes they look prety flash, obviously designed to be out the front and visible on a Jeep with an open type tube bar like the Yanks love. Nice if you could get it for a decent price with Dynema rope.

But I think they should still bolt to the same common Warn bolt patern as they would be stupid to produce something that will not fit into 99% of the bars on the market. The standard bolt holes in the ARB bars are still 10" or 254mm centre to centre to match all the Warn winches since year dot.
The specs say it is the standard Warn mount.......of 254mm............

It has been something I am considering purchasing to replace my XDC..... or just replace the motor on the XDC..........

·
Registered
nissan patrol
2,054 Posts
The Zeon's are a good winch, rear quality and the gearbox lever is the best I've ever used! Although they are designed to be used in an American-style bar. To mount to an ARB bar, you need to fit a fit kit to relocate the control box off the winch and onto the bar, which also includes the wiring to move it around as well. Then another one to space it back slightly as it does foul on a few bars. Some vehicles you can leave the control box attached, 150 Prados come to mind, but all dual cabs need to have them relocated. I haven't fitted one to a GU so not too sure about that one. Otherwise, they're an awesome winch, are available in 8,000 lb, 10,000lb and 12,000lb, and are cheaper than the XP9.5. Come with cable or rope.
Personally I got an old XD9000 off old of my customers, grabbed an old 6hp motor from work and Albright solenoid from Smithies Engineering and will end up with effectively an XP-S 9.5for less than a Sh*tterz11 but it was a lot of mucking around getting everything together. Plus luck that both Warn parts come available at the same time.

·
Registered
Nissan
92 Posts
I just brought one from Superior engineering - Warn Winch XP9500s Synthetic Rope $2195.00 free delivery. Low mount winch. Good price for new.

·
Registered
nissan
251 Posts
I sent a guy on another forum a message after seeing he had installed a Zeon 10.... this is his response! I have asked him to email me some pics so I can have a look at it.... but it is looking promising!

Hi mate.
Mine is on a Arb deluxe bar, if by standard GU bar you mean, a genuine Nissan bar, then I don't know what the differences are with sizes, if any.
Mine slotted in comfortably on the Arb bar. Although I had to buy a separate part for the control box. I think they call it a relocation kit.
I can send some pics if you need.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts