Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I think the car might be going to be written off due to a small issue involving Nolans up the cape... what are other people's experiences with insurance companies and possibly buying that car back, what prices (mine is 2008, 100 000km) would I be expecting, etc. Obviously I know what the problem was, why it's being written off and the condition of it.
Insured through Aami.

·
Weekend Warrior
Nissan patrol
10,348 Posts
what state do you live in (where is it registered)?

edit: do you want to repair it and get it back on the road or get your expensive bits off it and sell them? If its the later i guess its irrelevant what state its regoed in.

·
Registered
nissan
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It's rego is Qld, I would like to get my accessories of, about 5k worth if I had to buy again, so will try to negotiate getting that off if I can.
Mind you, if I could buy it for 5k, take the bits of and sell it again for 5k I would, just don't know how much to expect then to ask for it.
Could even fix the bits and on sell it regoed but wouldn't wouldn't get much I could imagine... Could even keep as a toy!

·
Registered
nissan
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Oh, I should mention that the incident happened 6 or 7 weeks ago, we drove the car home and we are still driving it fine now, it's just electrics are playing up a tad, and there is some panel damage that we were wanting to get fixed at the same time.
The two panel shops that we were told to take it to by aami for'assessing' both don't want to touch it... suppose that happens when they would have seen lots of wet cars after the bundaberg floods.

·
Registered
596 Posts
If you have the car now, why aren't you out there taking the good stuff off?

I know I would have already done it;)

Not sure on legality's though:D

·
Registered
nissan
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah I know, it is insured for agreed value with the accessories, and there have already been photos taken and sent to insurance, and I do want to do the right thing.
If I was doing things over, I have maybe not insured it with the accessories.

·
Registered
596 Posts
Fair enough, insurance Co's are known to look for any excuse to not pay, so no need to make it easy for the buggers, especially if the photos have been taken:D

I know Shannons you get the wreck back, dunno about AAMI.

·
Registered
nissan
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah, I'm not keen on making this any harder than it has to, but it may be an interesting experience to go through.
Lucky I'm not attached to the car :)

·
Rust is just natural weight reduction.
1986 SD33T SWB
11,017 Posts
My missus had her car listed as a repairable write off through AAMI (other party was at fault and insured through AAMI), she had the option to buy the car back, the buy back price was 20% of the pay out, not sure if that's the standard rate or not.

·
Registered
nissan
2,588 Posts
Fair enough, insurance Co's are known to look for any excuse to not pay, so no need to make it easy for the buggers, especially if the photos have been taken:D

I know Shannons you get the wreck back, dunno about AAMI.
you get automatic salvage rights with shannons if the car is over 30yrs old but any newer you have to specify you want it, i have a few cars insured with them,

i dont think its as easy to buy the car back these days, it will go straight to either manheim auctions or pickles and u will bid on it, and it depends weather its a stat write off or repairable write off, i see some on there that are totaled and are repairable write offs and some that are hardly touched and are stat write offs , id say it will go for 5-10k you never know at auction though

·
Registered
596 Posts
you get automatic salvage rights with shannons if the car is over 30yrs old but any newer you have to specify you want it, i have a few cars insured with them,

i dont think its as easy to buy the car back these days, it will go straight to either manheim auctions or pickles and u will bid on it, and it depends weather its a stat write off or repairable write off, i see some on there that are totaled and are repairable write offs and some that are hardly touched and are stat write offs , id say it will go for 5-10k you never know at auction though
Yeah when they asked if I wanted it, I said yes, can always do with a spare 4.8, if worse comes to worse :rofl:

·
Registered
nissan
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
So how easy it's it to sell a fairly good condition gu that had been written off due to water damage?
Not talking much, just a bit inside the car?

·
Registered
NIssan
882 Posts
What many insurers do is they get a quote (normally from Manheim or Pickles) as to how much the wreck is worth. That is normally around what they look for for salvage cost. In many cases you can negotiate somewhat as they would have to pay towing costs to take the car to auction, plus auction fees. The further it has to be towed the more it costs so you can factor those costs in. If you are quite some distance from the auction center the more it would cost to tow and the more you can negotiate (I work in insurance and have seen salvages almost given back to the customer as it simply wasn't worth the cost of the tow and auction fees)

Hope that makes sense, Negotiate the salvage cost with the insurer, don't offer a stupid low ball amount as they won't be inclined to waste time playing games and dickering back and forth multiple times.

·
Registered
nissan
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yeah, that was kind of what I thought, they still need to come, get car, send it down to bris, as well as pay auction fees, and stuff around with it.
I'm not sure yet if I'll be talking with the local Suncorp/aami assessor, or someone on the end of a phone, I have heard that the local guy is fair.
Will wait and see what happens, never know, they may elect to fix it still...

·
Registered
NIssan
882 Posts
Have a chat to your assessor first, they are the ones that normally determine the value and put in the recommendation in to the claims department as to what happens to the salvage (at least that is the process I am familiar with - may be different for AAMI) In most cases claims just go with the assessors recommendations. At the very least if you discuss with the assessor then AAMI are aware of your intentions early on in the piece and can give you the info on whatever their process happens to be

·
Registered
nissan
1,178 Posts
Have a chat to your assessor first, they are the ones that normally determine the value and put in the recommendation in to the claims department as to what happens to the salvage (at least that is the process I am familiar with - may be different for AAMI) In most cases claims just go with the assessors recommendations. At the very least if you discuss with the assessor then AAMI are aware of your intentions early on in the piece and can give you the info on whatever their process happens to be

Yes i believe this is how AAMI did things when i wrote my car off, they were truly excellent to deal with in every way, gave me a buy back price, and dropped the car off at no extra charge, all with no fuss or stress.

Will the insurance company re-insure it after you buy it back and fix anything that needs it?
Yes, no problem to get insurance (i got quotes off AAMI on the same car, but went else where) my repairable write off is actually insured for more now, than before it was written off.

If you plan to re-register a repairable write off, you need to "prove" how you obtained the car, and all the parts you used to fix it, you need to keep every single receipt.

Once its finished you need to drop it off at a inspection station Queensland Inspection Services (with a current roadworthy), and leave it there for up to 4 days, with all your details, reciepts and a "story" of who and what was repaired etc, there is a fee (about $400 from memory) for the inspection.

The worst part is, your car is not insured while it is there :(

Once approved and released, you can then get the car registered, but of course towing fees will be adding up by now.

·
Registered
nissan
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Just a quick update on this if anyone is interested, in qld they will class a car as a statutory write off now if it is water damaged. Apparently ths had come about since the Brisbane and Bundy floods and to many dodgy deals done with repairable write offs.
So, after 6 weeks of going through insurance and many many phone calls, the old girl is now written off and won't be driven again on the road.
Now time has come to find a new second hand one, before the missus finds a Prado (as comfortable as they are, they just arn't a patrol!)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts