Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
nissan patrol
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I recently purchased a premier winch and went to put in in a nissan winch bar, however when put the "right way up", with the cable spooling out from the bottom of the winch i.e closest to the ground, the cable runs over a metal support bracket on the winch bar - not good for winching over that.

I can flip the winch so it is upside down however the cable then spools from the top of the winch. The instructions that came the winch state that this is incorrect, and it should spool from the bottom (winding back under the drum), not over the top.

My question, is this ok to have the winch cable spooling back over the top of the winch when the winch has been turned upside down? Please note, I am not talking about removing all the cable and winding back on in reverse, just flipping the winch upside down.

Thanks in advance guys
Regards
Craig

·
Registered
Nissan
616 Posts
Trim the part of the bar rubbing with a 5" grinder with a thin cutting wheel (give clearance so it engages the roller).

I had the exact same problem with the Tiger II winch I put on the ARB bar on my ML Triton. Had rope though so I just got a off set fair lead on it from Kingone.

With the roller fair lead for cable I'd trim with a 5" would be easiest.

Cheers,
Shane

·
Registered
9,501 Posts
Two options,
1 can you re-drill the mount holes to move it up?
or
2 as GU skip said, cut a bit out of the hole so the cable only runs on the rollers.

Where in Perth are you?

·
The nutty professor
8,299 Posts
i wouldnt think rubbing on a bit of metal would hurt the cable at all, i pissed off the roller fairlead and just use a bit of 10mm thick steel with a slot cut into it for the cable, smoothed off the edges of course but it works fine for me

·
Registered
nissan patrol
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the reply guys. I will take a look in the morning regarding "trimming", however if I remember correctly the bottom of the winch where the cable comes from is lower than the actual cross bar, meaning I would need to remove the cross bar altogther. I am not sure what this does, as it is only 3mm steel.

Thanks for the quick reply, I will look in the morning to see if I can trim the bar.

cheers

·
Registered
nissan patrol
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Two options,
1 can you re-drill the mount holes to move it up?
or
2 as GU skip said, cut a bit out of the hole so the cable only runs on the rollers.

Where in Perth are you?

Gday mate,

I can't re-drill the holes as the fairlead actaully sits in a recess on the bar. It is bound by the top and bottom on the bar itself.

I am up in Northern suburbs way, near Butler (South Geraldton as some people might say).
:)
Cheers

·
Registered
nissan GU iv 2006
1,717 Posts
Hey mate had the same issue.... but I have dynamica rope, I swoped out the std fair lead for an "off-set "one which holds the rope higher. Not sure if they make a roller type though???

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi Craig
I have a series3 patrol with an ironman winch nissan steel bar.I had to flip the winch so that the motor is on the left side of vehicle and rotated the gear box so that the gear lever was back at the top.Mine now spools from the top.I would think the instructions say spool from the bottom is because when mounted on a horizontal plane there would be less pressure than spooling from the top.Mounting in a nissan bar is a vertical plane so the pressure is equal with top or bottom spool .The warn winch instructions which the bars are designed says to do what I did with mine.Hope this makes sense.
Stu.

·
Registered
nissan
291 Posts

Hi Craig
I have a series3 patrol with an ironman winch nissan steel bar.I had to flip the winch so that the motor is on the left side of vehicle and rotated the gear box so that the gear lever was back at the top.Mine now spools from the top.I would think the instructions say spool from the bottom is because when mounted on a horizontal plane there would be less pressure than spooling from the top.Mounting in a nissan bar is a vertical plane so the pressure is equal with top or bottom spool .The warn winch instructions which the bars are designed says to do what I did with mine.Hope this makes sense.
Stu.

Yep that's what I did too , just rotate the ends so the drains face downward and all is Perfect. As long as when you hit the in button on the controller it winds in and vice versa

1 - 10 of 10 Posts