Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
555 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys,
today i was just clearing out the gq from all the **** cables everywhere left for me.
and i found this cable which looks like coaxial but it goes to this strange connection on the rear of the gearbox..
can you have a look and see if you know what it could be
heres some pics

cheers guys

·
Registered
nissan
1,527 Posts
It is the speedometer cable.

·
Registered
nissan
1,527 Posts
No idea, it just looks like the speedo cable. Most bizaar.

·
Registered
nissan
555 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well if it is speedo related.. do you think it might be the remains of a aftermarket cruise control?
cheers mate

·
BORDERTREK 4X4 & FABRICATION
8,549 Posts
It is the speedometer cable.
No the speedo gear is the one that the 'coax' is connected on to. Mine doesn't have one attached it :confused:

I'd say it's for the odometer, does that work? Maybe someone disconnected it to keep the mileage "low".
What year is your GQ, & auto or manual?

·
Registered
nissan
555 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
my odometer stopped working and then restarted by itself not too long ago so i dont think its for the odometer..
it is an auto
cheers

·
Registered
nissan
4,831 Posts
Isn't the speedo run from the connector to the right in pic?
That is definitely a speedo drive and could be cruise control related

·
8,549 Posts
my odometer stopped working and then restarted by itself not too long ago so i dont think its for the odometer..
it is an auto
cheers
Has to be that or the auto trans revolution sensor

·
8,549 Posts
what do you think will happen is i try to disconnect it?
Oil might piss out? Why dont you reconnect in the dash where it's supposed to be. Could be vital for the auto to work properly.

·
Registered
nissan
555 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
well that would be handy if i knew where it went lol....
it was in behind the cd player/head unit.......
looks like just been disconnected and dumped there.. ive had the car for 9 months now driven daily so i dont think it caused any problems?

·
Registered
3,955 Posts
Probably from some dodgy old cruise control. see if the brake switch wires have been tampered with, this will be a give away.
Those are also used for old style rally trip meters..

you can remove it from the bottom and see if you can find a cap for it to keep the dirt out.
Your speedo and odometer sender thing is the aluminium bit about the size of a film canister with 2 wires sticking out. Usually black and green, visible in your photo.

You may be able to remove the "tee" mechanism if you want.
There will be a little shaft you need to make your speedo work. goes from square on one side to round with a little keyway sticking out. if this isnt in one sode of the tee you'll have to leave the tee in.

·
Registered
nissan
2,003 Posts
Probably from some dodgy old cruise control. see if the brake switch wires have been tampered with, this will be a give away.
Those are also used for old style rally trip meters..
... jeez Mike you must be as old as me. I'm betting 99% that Mike is on the money.

That is not a standard sensor for a Pootrol nor is the cable "factory" but it sure does look like a drive for an analog Trip Computer.

I have not seen a Cruise Control that had the drive all the way to behind the dash but I guess that could be the other 1%

·
Registered
nissan
555 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
brake switch wires have been tampered with too because they had also "dodgily" put in a electric brake control for the trailor

cheers

·
Learned the hard way - RD28t out TD42 in
4,415 Posts
As the truck been a Police vehicle in it's early life ? Many moons ago, I use to fit those things in the UK to police cars so that a calibrated speedo could be used - just a thought.

Take the lot off the gearbox and see if you can just put the electronic sensor (the Nissan bit) back in place - hopefully it'll just screw in and it's not been modified. Then you can remove the surplus.

·
Registered
nissan
2,003 Posts
I've seen a couple.. I didn't think I was THAT old though.
ROFL... maybe you aren't. Maybe you are just an afficiando of the art of rallying. I reckon a lot of the younger fellas on here couldn't even spell 'Halda' let alone know what one was.

It sure looks like a Halda Adapter to me and they were the same for the single or twins.

Hey Curtis... don't be too quick to throw it away either. If it is a Halda adapter they are going for $80 on Ebay
halda items at low prices on eBay.com.au

·
Registered
3,955 Posts
well the last one I saw was in a car with a Motec fuel computer which was "programmed" by about a dozen screwdriver adjustments. I sent an enquiry off to Motec and the response was "Wow, we've never seen one of those before!" great.
Was a real monster too, A 12 valve astron-like mitsubishi/mazda 2.6 with a TO-4. It was like setting off a bomb under the car when it came on boost at 6000 RPM.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts