Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
naturally asthmatic
4,383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yes, you are seeing red! Maybe Mike Lloyd - the News 1130 Journalist - needs to hear from some other sources? Check you local media, as I am sure they are trying to get the same message out everywhere again.

VANCOUVER (NEWS1130) - There is a push to get imported, right-hand-drive vehicles off our roads. The Canadian Auto Dealers Association (CADA) claims they are unsafe.

An independent mechanic says they can also also be a real headache for owners. Ron Toy with Autozone Mobile Repair in Burnaby says consumers should do their homework very carefully when it comes to Japanese direct imports. He's worked on them, but says you often have to take the quirky vehicles to a handful of shops that specialize in repairing and importing parts for them.

"They've kind of got you, because often you have no choice when it comes to buying parts. Some of the information is very hard to come by and these companies often keep the information to themselves ... and they charge a fair amount of money to do the repairs."

Would he recommend buying a direct import, right-hand-drive vehicle? "To tell you the truth, no -- for safety reasons. Even [among the] people who drive left-hand-drive vehicles, some don't drive well to start with. Now they're trying to drive a right-hand-drive and it's completely different," says Toy.

The Canadian Automobile Dealers Association (CADA) is pressuring Ottawa to close a loophole that allows right-hand-drive vehicles to be imported into Canada.

http://www.news1130.com/news/local/...-want-imported-right-hand-drive-cars#Comments

·
Safari Hoarder
nissan
4,799 Posts
"They've kind of got you, because often you have no choice when it comes to buying parts. Some of the information is very hard to come by and these companies often keep the information to themselves ... and they charge a fair amount of money to do the repairs."

That is the exact reason I do not purchase new vehicles and perform most maintenance myself. I really had enough of the Stealerships.....

·
Registered
291 Posts
My response got cut off, but the portion that appears is:

CADA has no credibility

This has nothing to do with public safety, it is simply a turf war between CADA who want a monopoly on the supply of vehicles and discriminating consumers who want to get the finest vehicle that their budget will allow. Even though Japanese Domestic Vehicles that are imported to Canada are at least 15 years old (Canadian Import Laws won't allow anything newer), they typically come over with very low Kms that are comparable to what a vehicle driven daily in Canada would accumulate within 2-3 years ( about 60,000 kms). The JDM vehicles with 60,000 kms acquired those kms while being driven along the very best maintained roads in the world, and the vehicles were subject to some the most stringent vehicle maintenance requirements in the world. A 15 year old JDM vehicle with 60,000 km will almost always be in much better shape than a Canadian market vehicle of the same make and model (but 12 years newer) that had acquired the same # of kms entirely within in Canada. JDM vehicles that are imported to Canada ar

·
naturally asthmatic
4,383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thats strange! we only seem to have trouble with left hand drive vechiles in Australia.
Yes, especially when the drivers have their dogs sitting in the seat normally occupied by the driver in a RHD vehicle or their hand brake is snoozing in that seat. :evillaug:

·
Safari Hoarder
nissan
4,799 Posts
Yes, especially when the drivers have their dogs sitting in the seat normally occupied by the driver in a RHD vehicle or their hand brake is snoozing in that seat. :evillaug:

People laugh and think it's cute when they see my dog in the left hand front seat.

Attachments

·
Registered
nissan
711 Posts
You should see the face of the people when I have my 3 yrs old son in the "driver's"side with his fake steering wheel! (I know it's probably safer for him on the back but this is a Patrol, not a Civic!). Both times I drove across the country with him he quickly migrated to the front seat. Turns out it's actually safer, easier to attend to his needs...

As for CADA, it's too bad they don't spend their energy on something more useful. I bet they never drove a RHD to start with! They would quickly change their mind...

Cheers,
Mr. D

·
naturally asthmatic
4,383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
As for CADA, it's too bad they don't spend their energy on something more useful. I bet they never drove a RHD to start with! They would quickly change their mind...

Cheers,
Mr. D
Not unless they could make $10,000s just driving them. Its not just the RHDs that they are after. It is also all the older vehicles that people keep driving. They want a 10 year fleet renewal program. I'd bet they'd love it if we had the Japanese system and make it cheaper to retire used vehicles before they are worn out. But their automakers better up their game because most of the ones they are making now are barely good for 5 years before major problems and repair bills.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.