Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
anythings possible, how much time and money do you have?

i think GU patrols have twin piston calipers, but they are not a bolt on deal onto GQ from my limited research, and GQ are same calipers as MQ so you can draw some conclusions there.

but you could always knock up some brackets to adapt any caliper to any car if you really want. i dont see the benefits though, they stop okay considering they are pushing 30 years old, they arent a sports car!

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
x2

A better way to upgrade the brakes is to put discs in the rear to get rid of the sloppy drums.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Well. When you drive heavy 36" wheels stock brakes aren't almost work.
Found out front GU with TB45 barakes are the most powerful. Gonna make adaptors for front and put stock brakes to the rear.
That'll cost me alot so it's just a plan for coming winter.

Another problem - parking brake. Thought of putting GQ - we have same tranfer cases. But now consider it to be hydro. Willwood or something.

And question to you - when you swap to bigger calipers - shouldn't you change main brake cillinder?
When I put bigger calipers to Suzuki Jimny - pedal drops down a bit. In a week I hope to change rear drum brakes to disks - think it'll drop more...

·
Registered
nissan patrol
1,066 Posts
if your upping the brakes the master cylinder wont be able to keep up with the extra fluid the bigger brakes will need or want so running the stock master cylinder aint a good idea eg gu front discs use a gu master cylinder means more mods and definitly more money

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
the 160s have the handbrake on the transfer case.

when upgrading calipers, make sure the pads are bigger, thats where your going to get the most gains (surface area). often bigger calipers have bigger pads which in turn may require bigger discs, all in the aim of getting more surface area for the braking process to occur.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
1,066 Posts
the 160s have the handbrake on the transfer case.

when upgrading calipers, make sure the pads are bigger, thats where your going to get the most gains (surface area). often bigger calipers have bigger pads which in turn may require bigger discs, all in the aim of getting more surface area for the braking process to occur.
exactly what nerok just said

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
no, because the GQ are coil. and the diff pumpkins are in the centre on GQ whereas 160 is offset. and the driveshafts have different bolt centres on the flanges. and GQ are usually higher ratio (ie 4.1) than the MQ common 4.6

there is a thread on here about the conversion, but ive lost my link.

·
Registered
nissan
154 Posts
no, because the GQ are coil. and the diff pumpkins are in the centre on GQ whereas 160 is offset. and the driveshafts have different bolt centres on the flanges. and GQ are usually higher ratio (ie 4.1) than the MQ common 4.6

there is a thread on here about the conversion, but ive lost my link.
The only difference in bolt pattern is the drive flange from the front axle the rear are the same.
I thought the calipers it self were the same and only the sliding bracket were different,but will check it later.
I'm swapping axles and will compare parts.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
It is not always necessary to put a bigger master cilinder in. In my 84 BMW I put 06 Dodge Viper Brembo calipers in the front with huge discs and I still had a firm brake pedal. It could handle the big calipers fine.

@neRok: 260's have no drum attached to the transfer, they have the parking brake in the rear drums.

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
The only difference in bolt pattern is the drive flange from the front axle the rear are the same.
ah okay, i tried putting a front GQ shaft into my MQ and just presumed it was a common difference. good to know.
@neRok: 260's have no drum attached to the transfer, they have the parking brake in the rear drums.
yer i figured as much, i was replying to oldblinddog who was suggesting it was a problem for him and his 260, but its not for us with 160 :cool:

·
Registered
163 Posts
I know. But all I do with this Patrol is driving in mud. Cause we don't have any normal road, Each time after such driving I spend huge money on WD-40 to recover stuck rear brakes. And in previos winter they were frozen dead. In the morning I even wasn't able to move. Night before I broke ice in swamp and swim a little. 8)

So it's time to change something...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.