Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
I've got mine mounted in the back of my homemade draws, so that probaly doesn't help you much. I have seen them in a battery box up against the seat in a corner. This look pretty neat and straight forward. have you got draws?

·
Registered
136 Posts
You have to have a sealed battery if you are planing on having it in the cab. Because of the dangerous gases produced when charging and the chances of acid spilling everywhere in a crash.

·
Registered
100 Posts
You have to have a sealed battery if you are planing on having it in the cab. Because of the dangerous gases produced when charging and the chances of acid spilling everywhere in a crash.
... and make sure it's secured real good .. my 100AH AGM comes in at 30 kgs

·
Registered
688 Posts
I have a 120AH AGM in the boot of my patrol. I decided on this method simply because it cost the same as under the hood, but there are no issues with heat reducing battery performance, and I can swap it from car to car to tent as needed.

Its hooked up via a 50A anderson plug and charges with a 120A isolator at about 40AH.

Sorry for the crap pics, but you get the idea.

Bonus is I also have multiple outlets at the rear including 80A terminals (good for air compressor etc). I also run a 7m double cig plug extension which runs into my tent which has two 12w flouros on the end with 5m leads. Runs my 60L Waeco for about 5-7 days without charge depending on ambient, but I usually drive every day so its always full.

Battery is mounted centre simply because I have a 9 month old in a car seat and will probably have another baby within 12 months so will have two car seats. This setup leaves the anchor points clear.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have a 120AH AGM in the boot of my patrol. I decided on this method simply because it cost the same as under the hood, but there are no issues with heat reducing battery performance, and I can swap it from car to car to tent as needed.

Its hooked up via a 50A anderson plug and charges with a 120A isolator at about 40AH.

Sorry for the crap pics, but you get the idea.

Bonus is I also have multiple outlets at the rear including 80A terminals (good for air compressor etc). I also run a 7m double cig plug extension which runs into my tent which has two 12w flouros on the end with 5m leads. Runs my 60L Waeco for about 5-7 days without charge depending on ambient, but I usually drive every day so its always full.

Battery is mounted centre simply because I have a 9 month old in a car seat and will probably have another baby within 12 months so will have two car seats. This setup leaves the anchor points clear.

Excellent post, is that a false floor or did you drill holes for the strap mounts? Is the strap sufficient to stop movement or does it still move around a bit?

·
Registered
688 Posts
Excellent post, is that a false floor or did you drill holes for the strap mounts? Is the strap sufficient to stop movement or does it still move around a bit?
False Floor with 10mm fencing eye bolts. Hasn't moved a bit, even getting Air on Fraser because of the washouts it didn't budge, nor did the fridge.

Simple and easy to remove. Since this is my company car as well, I need to remove the stuff as needed.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I have a 115AH sealed Marine battery as the third battery. It sits behind the cargo barrier. It's in a battery box and when used is secured to the cargo barrier and top of the drawers.

I have a redarc battery charger tied to the cargo barrier.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Yes definately go sealed battery. Also very good idea to have the cargo barrier. Mine sits on top of my outback drawers , in a battery box with multiple outlets , the box is strapped to the cargo barrier with a normal rhino strap. It did not move an inch on my recent Cape York trip.

·
Autos are Superior
11,701 Posts
A cargo barrier is a safety thing.. Well worth getting one.

·
Registered
688 Posts
$800 for safety barrier and have to remove it every other day to carry long/large objects. They are not for everyone!

·
Registered
536 Posts
BCF had a cheap battery box in their latest catalogue if you hadn't bought one yet. Don't know what they are like, but it may be worth a look. (Page 7 - $50 bucks)

Catalogue List - Northern NSW - BCF

I'd also recommend a cargo barrier. I was very reluctant to fit one to my Patrol as I thought it would limit access to the back when travelling, however now that I've got it fitted, I can pack more gear in, and it adds that safety factor also.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have mine behind left hand side back seat and my engel sits in front of it.Its in a plastic battery box and bolted to floor and strapped.It charges through a redarc system under bonnet and the fridge plug is only 18 inches from battery with fuse inline so no power loss.Also replace that rear nissan plug if you have one as it only works with key on

·
Autos are Superior
11,701 Posts
doodlemax said:
$800 for safety barrier and have to remove it every other day to carry long/large objects. They are not for everyone!
$800?? Someone is robbing you blind.... and you can undo the 2 top bolts by hand and lay them flat - space returns.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Hey guys Im looking for options to mount a 2nd battery in the rear of my wagon. Where and how did you mount it if you have one. Pics would be great if possible. Tryed a search but couldn't find anything useful.
Gudday mate, yeah ditto on the battery box above, mine is just in front of the fridge, behind the back seat. If you are thinking of doing this make sure you look after the wiring running back from the relay in the engine bay as it will have a battery at either end, will make for some impresive fireworks should the wiring rub through ;). BTW i have a soft cargo barrier made from seat belt type material, probably not as good as the steel ones but easy to fit / remove and cost $185.

Cheers, Col

·
Registered
845 Posts
Gudday mate, yeah ditto on the battery box above, mine is just in front of the fridge, behind the back seat. If you are thinking of doing this make sure you look after the wiring running back from the relay in the engine bay as it will have a battery at either end, will make for some impresive fireworks should the wiring rub through ;). BTW i have a soft cargo barrier made from seat belt type material, probably not as good as the steel ones but easy to fit / remove and cost $185.

Cheers, Col
This is why you put a fuse close to EACH battery. If the wiring rubs through, it will just take out both fuses - no fireworks.

·
Registered
337 Posts
TB45 Bruce

Send us a pic of you soft barrier won't you ? Sounds like a good alternative for folks that find the steel hindering their needs.

Cheers

1 - 20 of 25 Posts